Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2023, 05:26 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering if others who try to eat a mostly nutritious diet are sometimes viewed as odd or health nuts by other folks? Others being those who eat more along the lines of the Standard American Diet.

I try to practice my food preferences quietly and without trying to convert anyone else to my way of eating, but still...twice in the last couple of weeks, I've been called odd and a health nut 'cause I eat somewhat differently.

My way of eating isn't that severe or unusual, I don't think...mainly vegetarian and avoid wheat due to its inflammatory effect on my arthritis. Bread and baked goods are yummy, but I don't like the resulting pain...

Does anyone else feel kind of isolated in their eating habits?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2023, 07:05 PM

10,887 posts, read 7,370,074 times
I've had people rag on me because I eat low carb and don't drink more than one cocktail a night. Not exactly a high bar for health.

Why would they care? I think they probably feel guilty for not eating/drinking more responsibly, even though I never say anything. I mean, I'm jonesing for their french fries...

Old 05-01-2023, 09:04 PM

579 posts, read 319,335 times
No one ever complained I don’t drink or eat certain things but they usually aren’t much of a drinker either and most friends share similar food likes. I knew a guy who liked pasta a lot and it was a lot of bread and carbs, that was the main conflict though I usually had a salad. I wasn’t limiting carbs then but felt awful after eating out with a lot of wheat.

Old 06-27-2023, 08:38 AM

14,668 posts, read 14,631,326 times
I don’t think most Americans realize how badly they eat, with large amounts of sugar & salt, and carbs that turn to sugar, to go along with high amount of saturated fats and fried foods. So someone who doesn’t eat a lot of fast food and junk food is seen as a “health nut” rather than a regular person who doesn’t consume all the garbage that gets advertised on television.

Old 06-27-2023, 08:50 AM

48,515 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Not really. They know I do it for a variety of reasons, health issues, vanity, and I genuinely really like healthy food.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-27-2023, 10:55 AM

2,020 posts, read 976,503 times
My in-laws are incredibly weight-obsessed. It feels like 50% of their conversations are about who's skinny, who's fat, and about every fad diet and supplement out there.

I'm no "nut" nor do I look like Adonis, but I have good habits and awareness overall and I exercise daily.

I'm sick to death of being called "hey skinny" (esp. because I'm not---just average) and getting the "oh you never have problems with food" comments, especially since I really want to face-dive into every tub of pasta and pizza I can find.

Old 06-27-2023, 11:15 AM

24,473 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I don’t think most Americans realize how badly they eat, with large amounts of sugar & salt, and carbs that turn to sugar, to go along with high amount of saturated fats and fried foods. So someone who doesn’t eat a lot of fast food and junk food is seen as a “health nut” rather than a regular person who doesn’t consume all the garbage that gets advertised on television.
Any other stereotypes?

Old 06-27-2023, 12:46 PM

4,597 posts, read 2,988,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
I'm wondering if others who try to eat a mostly nutritious diet are sometimes viewed as odd or health nuts by other folks?
Others being those who eat more along the lines of the Standard American Diet.

I try to practice my food preferences quietly and without trying to convert anyone else to my way of eating, but still..
twice in the last couple of weeks, I've been called odd and a health nut 'cause I eat somewhat differently.

My way of eating isn't that severe or unusual, I don't think...mainly vegetarian and avoid wheat due to its
inflammatory effect on my arthritis. Bread and baked goods are yummy, but I don't like the resulting pain...

Does anyone else feel kind of isolated in their eating habits?
I could imagine that happening quite a lot 50 or 60 years ago, but I'm surprised to hear of it still going on today.
Natural food is so mainstream now, with Whole Foods stores popping up all over,
and regular supermarkets selling organic produce. Also, special diets are much more visible;
I constantly see the words "gluten free."

Old 06-27-2023, 01:52 PM

14,668 posts, read 14,631,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Any other stereotypes?
It’s not really a stereotype if it’s true, though maybe exacerbated by living in the Midwest.

Old 06-28-2023, 07:56 AM

4,502 posts, read 2,651,635 times
I'm not tired of not having coronary artery disease. I'm not tired of not having diabetes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food