Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2023, 10:32 AM

523 posts, read 245,129 times

Advertisements

I loooove tofu. Usually on Sunday I bake a big batch of tofu cubes to keep on hand for the week. Silken tofu is good for making desserts (my family loves it in the form of coconut cream pie, banana cream pie, chocolate mousse, and pumpkin custard).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2023, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I like tofu; it soaks up whatever seasoning or sauce used.

But most or all soybeans in the US are GMO. If that concerns you, you might want to avoid tofu.

Personally, I have mixed feelings about GMO. It can create plants to survive harsh conditions and relieve famine-prone areas.
But it mostly gets used for big corporations to make extra profit, with little concern for potential health risks.
Some smaller farmers have been sued by corporations because pollen from the corporate GMO plants blew in and fertilized their crops. Ugh.
I’m not that concerned with GMO, but the majority of of GMO soybeans are used for animal feed. It is easy to find non-GMO soy milk and tofu, as all organic brands are non-GMO and are labeled as such.

Old 12-05-2023, 10:28 PM

966 posts, read 514,798 times
It's been pretty well proven that eating too much soy is bad for us. How much is too much? Who knows? As far as I'm concerned, soy is not a healthy food. One would be a lot better off eating the whole bean. But I would err on the side of caution and just say no. Beans are generally hard to digest anyway, probably better to keep them to a minimum in a diet.

Old 12-07-2023, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
It's been pretty well proven that eating too much soy is bad for us. How much is too much? Who knows? As far as I'm concerned, soy is not a healthy food. One would be a lot better off eating the whole bean. But I would err on the side of caution and just say no. Beans are generally hard to digest anyway, probably better to keep them to a minimum in a diet.
Certain types of soy foods aren't the healthiest choice, such as soy protein isolates. But others are very nutritious and have been part of traditional diets for thousands of years.

Old 12-07-2023, 08:56 PM

170 posts, read 74,050 times
soy products contain that coagulant whch is good if you need calcium,is it gypsum?
Indians and Chinese have been soy beans and soy products for hundreds of years,soy milk has the same benefits as milk except iron,thats why Asian people look kind of anemic,for lack of iron from red meat and dairy milk.
But one thing worth noting is that too much soy beans could cause your thyroid gland to secrete less thyroxin,there is a term called antithyroidism?? raw broccoli,bamboo shoots as well.

Old 12-08-2023, 01:09 PM

1,262 posts, read 664,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
There’s a restaurant by me that makes Smokey tofu and it’s delicious. Anyone know how to make it?
I'm not sure if you are looking for a specific recipe or a method of smoking? If it's the latter I can help you. I use extra firm, remove packaging, rinse off and place in a freezer bag in freezer overnight, this will change its texture when thawed. When you want to use it, thaw in refrigerator. Slice horizontally to make two slabs or the other way to make smaller pieces. Place on smoker, ideally on a screen so tofu doesn't break and fall through. Smoke for an hour or so. Remove and put in a marinade of your choice or bbq sauce. Cook to your preferred method.

Old 12-09-2023, 09:40 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
There’s a restaurant by me that makes Smokey tofu and it’s delicious. Anyone know how to make it?
If you have a Smoker that answers that.
Me? I would experiment with Liquid Smoke in Toasted sesame oil...slice it, cook on lowest for a very long time.
Add your salt and whatever when you want to.
That darn Dr. Gundry has scared me away from most everything.
I loved tofu...but being a vegetarian for 15 yrs, years ago, I know ALL the delicious ways to make it.
Just a reminder to vegetarians - rem to always have it with a grain for a complete protein.

Old 12-12-2023, 11:12 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,774,686 times
I buy the white variety and brown it and the air fryer. No need for oil. I often cook it with tomatoes, cabbage, and celery. Cheap, tasty, and healthy meal.

Old 01-25-2024, 06:47 AM

5 posts, read 1,217 times
Tofu is known for its versatility and ability to absorb flavors, making it a popular ingredient in various cuisines, especially vegetarian and vegan diets. Here are some key nutritional benefits of tofu:

1) Protein: Tofu is an excellent source of plant-based protein. It provides all essential amino acids, making it a complete
protein source. This makes tofu a valuable protein option for those following vegetarian or vegan diets.

2) Low in Saturated Fat: Tofu is low in saturated fat, making it a heart-healthy protein alternative to some animal-based
protein sources.

3) Rich in Iron and Calcium: Tofu contains iron and calcium, essential minerals for various bodily functions. Iron is
important for oxygen transport in the blood, while calcium is crucial for bone health.

4) Good Source of Magnesium and Phosphorus: Tofu provides magnesium and phosphorus, which play roles in bone health,
energy metabolism, and various cellular functions.

5) Soy Isoflavones: Tofu contains soy isoflavones, which are compounds with antioxidant properties. Some studies suggest
that soy isoflavones may have potential health benefits, including cardiovascular and bone health.

6) Low in Calories: Tofu is relatively low in calories, making it a versatile and satisfying option for those looking to manage
their caloric intake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food