Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2023, 03:27 PM

2,040 posts, read 990,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post
and i try to educate people. I do it for the animals and for my health. I tell people they can choose one reason or the other, or both. And start with one meal a day, or one day a week. Or certain animal products. I just wish people would TRY.
I tend to avoid that unless it comes up in conversation and we're already both on the same page. Too often it turns into a debate or people get defensive, and honestly I don't care what other people eat, that's their choice. Once in a while someone will ask about making such and such changes in their diet, usually for health reasons or weight loss, and I might chime in with a few comments. But I'm not interested in pushing an agenda or 'converting' anyone.

Some vegans/vegetarians come across as pushy or holier than thou and I don't like that. I'll never forget an incident long ago with a friend at the time who got into an angry verbal scuffle about the evils of eating meat with a complete stranger while we were waiting in line somewhere. I was so embarrassed to be seen with him. Wasn't the first time he had done that, everywhere we went he had to announce his diet choices out loud. Not a friend anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2023, 05:36 AM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
I tend to avoid that unless it comes up in conversation and we're already both on the same page. Too often it turns into a debate or people get defensive, and honestly I don't care what other people eat, that's their choice. Once in a while someone will ask about making such and such changes in their diet, usually for health reasons or weight loss, and I might chime in with a few comments. But I'm not interested in pushing an agenda or 'converting' anyone.

Some vegans/vegetarians come across as pushy or holier than thou and I don't like that. I'll never forget an incident long ago with a friend at the time who got into an angry verbal scuffle about the evils of eating meat with a complete stranger while we were waiting in line somewhere. I was so embarrassed to be seen with him. Wasn't the first time he had done that, everywhere we went he had to announce his diet choices out loud. Not a friend anymore.
Seen those types on the news protesting at supermarkets and restaurants. Wonder why we never see them come out for the Muslim holiday of Eid al-Adha?

Old 10-19-2023, 02:19 PM

523 posts, read 245,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Seen those types on the news protesting at supermarkets and restaurants. Wonder why we never see them come out for the Muslim holiday of Eid al-Adha?
PETA India has been vocal about this for years. Their peaceful calls to embrace non-animal options was met with harassment and death threats. At one notable public demonstration, they even got the tar beat out of them.

Old 01-02-2024, 10:12 AM

923 posts, read 525,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post
I think "where your food comes from" should be a class in school that all kids/students should take. Then they can make the informed choices. I learned at age 50 - that's way too late in life to learn truths.
I am not a vegan/vegetarian and I do farm and raise livestock. I agree 100% with educating kids as to what/where/when/why/how their food is raised and produced. We were taught that when I was in school, 70's-80's.

Have a Happy New Year and God Bless!
H&K

Old 01-05-2024, 07:07 PM

382 posts, read 364,834 times
Health, animal rights, and climate.

Old 01-07-2024, 11:42 AM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
We're 95% vegetarian. We do eat fish once in a while. We do it for the same reasons as Submart in above post.

Seems quite silly and very wasteful to eat cows when it takes 25 lbs. of feed to produce one pound of meat. Hard on the climate and the Amazon Rainforest is being made tree-less to create more pasture for beef cows.

Our health has been improved quite a bit since we stopped being 100% omnivores. My arthritis pain has almost vanished. Sugar, dairy, fried foods seem to set it off.

And eliminating meats is cheaper too! Went grocery shopping today and came home with 8 sacks of groceries for $82. Veggies/beans/whole grains= big money savings.

Old 01-08-2024, 09:29 AM

523 posts, read 245,129 times
I don't know if I have any heroic or specific reasons; just personal preference. I was a rather finicky eater when I was a child, living off of a short list of foods (grains, peanut butter, fruits and vegetables, potatoes, rice, Spaghetti-O's, and Campbell's vegetable soup); essentially, unintentionally vegan. Once I got into my late teens-early 20s, I decided to to try some animal products to see what I had been missing out on. Turns out I wasn't missing much: I didn't really like any of the meats I tried (kind of like the reverse situation of a meat-eater comparing plant-based alternatives to their meaty counterparts) except for a few kinds of fish/seafood (specifically: trout, salmon, and sea scallops), but it just felt weird to actually eat a fish. Dairy didn't work out because I can't digest it, but I do like eggs now and then.

Old 01-23-2024, 01:00 AM

4 posts, read 1,932 times
I saw hen getting slaughtered which made me feel sick and disgusted. That made me leave non-vegetarian.

Old 04-05-2024, 04:44 PM

5,167 posts, read 11,434,314 times
I don't want to be the cause of suffering of animals. It is sickening what we do to them.

forum rules, please read them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food