Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2023, 04:49 AM

524 posts, read 245,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz View Post
Thanks for the additional references everyone. I am definitely going to experiment. I did try to eat vegan for a week. Then I drove to the store, bought two cans of Spam and ate them both right out of the can in one sitting.
That’s a lot of Spam, lol.

If I can make a suggestion… most vegans and vegetarians eat the way they do because they [i]want[/t] to, not because they have to. If there are a couple of animal products that you just cannot compromise on, talk to your doctor about what quantity is “safe” for you. My thing is yogurt. Homemade, whole milk yogurt. I like soy yogurt, but it’s hard to find unsweetened , plus it’s now up to $9 per quart at the only market that sells it near me. I choked down different plant milk yogurts but they’re all nasty, so that is the one food I choose not to compromise on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2023, 10:45 AM

1,750 posts, read 2,399,151 times
Several doctors told me that I need to lose weight and recommended various medications such as statins and ACE inhibitors. I already take Beta blockers. I researched various approaches and decided to get really truly serious and conscientious about diet control (i.e. permanent dietary changes rather than a limited-time duration diet) before I commit to a life of increasing and expensive medications with strong side-effects.

I did a lot of research, read various nutrition literature and tried various dietary approaches, with limited success. I finally signed up for the ZOE program. I learned a lot about my specific metabolism from their metabolic testing, published peer-reviewed literature and their research team interview podcasts. The subscription includes messaging consultation with certified nutritionists and health scores on everything I eat. https://zoe.com/

It's not that I am pushing any product or agenda, the program is steeply pricey, but I appreciate what I have learned so far, and have seen various significant health improvements in the three months I have been (more or less) following it. Overall, to me, the cost has been worth it. Their app tells me what I should and should not eat, the effect on my metabolism, and suggests various recipes to try. Some I like and will use again, others are bleh. I would like to expand my recipe repertoire and learn more about how to make vegan recipes tasty. I think hardest task before me is to recalibrate my taste buds. I have successfully done so with salt and sugar in the past, but I sure do love my fatty meats!

Old 12-18-2023, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hearthcrafter View Post
That’s a lot of Spam, lol.

My thing is yogurt. Homemade, whole milk yogurt. I like soy yogurt, but it’s hard to find unsweetened , plus it’s now up to $9 per quart at the only market that sells it near me. I choked down different plant milk yogurts but they’re all nasty, so that is the one food I choose not to compromise on.
Yeah, sure was, and I sure paid for it over and over again.

Have you tried making your own soy yogurt? Seems simple enough when I looked at it online. The main thing the creators emphasize is that all tools, containers, etc. must be thoroughly and completely sterile.

Old 12-18-2023, 11:03 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,047,257 times
Here's a vegan taco recipe we ran across this year. Both myself and my wife really like it. We're not vegans, but we're trying to do more veggie meals. The flavor of cashew butter crema really makes the meal, IMO. It's a combination I'd never have thought of myself.

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/ca...h-cashew-crema

If you run into an article limit on this website, try clearing your browser cookies. That solution worked for me.

Old 12-18-2023, 11:20 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,662,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickIlhenney View Post
To be honest, I am nowhere close to being vegan/vegetarian, but we make this dish regularly and it is fantastic.

Channa Masala
I have been using Swasthi's recipes for several years and like most of what she shares. I also like Moosewood's books.

I make a pound of dried chick peas in my stove top pressure cooker so we have them as needed later. My favorite way is to add a good quality coconut milk, tomatoes, onion, and garlic to the pot then top with cilantro before serving.

Several years ago I tried Weight Watchers but quickly grew hungry and all I could think about was food. Listen to your own body and give it what it needs. Sometimes, taking supplements help to ensure you are getting enough nutrients. I have found that at times a peanut butter on whole wheat sandwich for more satisfying than some totally crazy stuff.

Old 12-18-2023, 11:22 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
Here's a vegan taco recipe we ran across this year. Both myself and my wife really like it. We're not vegans, but we're trying to do more veggie meals. The flavor of cashew butter crema really makes the meal, IMO. It's a combination I'd never have thought of myself.

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/ca...h-cashew-crema

If you run into an article limit on this website, try clearing your browser cookies. That solution worked for me.
If you cook down firm tofu in becomes hamburger like. I don't make it a lot because I just like tofu either fried or air fried better. We also use the madras lentil packets as the "meat" on nachos, it's one of our favorite camp meals.

We're not vegan or vegetarian either, I just really like plant based meals overall (avocado toast for breakfast).

I think the OP is making the mistake of totally depriving them self, and then rebounding doing something like eating two cans of spam. Would have been better to do up a chicken breast in some way.

I would start by adding as much plant based foods as they can, then slowly omitting animal based foods.

It's not uncommon for us to do a black bean burrito, but we add some cheese and usually greek yogurt.

I would literally heave if I ate two cans of spam... raw.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-18-2023, 12:05 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,047,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
If you cook down firm tofu in becomes hamburger like. I don't make it a lot because I just like tofu either fried or air fried better. We also use the madras lentil packets as the "meat" on nachos, it's one of our favorite camp meals.

We're not vegan or vegetarian either, I just really like plant based meals overall (avocado toast for breakfast).

I think the OP is making the mistake of totally depriving them self, and then rebounding doing something like eating two cans of spam. Would have been better to do up a chicken breast in some way.
My wife won't eat tofu, and I'm not a big fan of it either, so it's not something we buy at the grocery store. Over the years I have had some tofu while eating out, generally an Asian dish, but it's been a long time.

I'm in the same camp of feeling it's not necessary to completely eliminate meat. Without meat it can be difficult to get enough protein. Also, I have the opposite problem of (apparently) most people. I have a hard time eating enough to maintain weight. I simply cannot eat enough fruits and vegetables, so I need to eat some foods with higher caloric density... meat, eggs, cheese. Of course things like candy bars and waffles are high in calories too, but not good ones, haha!

Old 12-18-2023, 12:24 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
My wife won't eat tofu, and I'm not a big fan of it either, so it's not something we buy at the grocery store. Over the years I have had some tofu while eating out, generally an Asian dish, but it's been a long time.

I'm in the same camp of feeling it's not necessary to completely eliminate meat. Without meat it can be difficult to get enough protein. Also, I have the opposite problem of (apparently) most people. I have a hard time eating enough to maintain weight. I simply cannot eat enough fruits and vegetables, so I need to eat some foods with higher caloric density... meat, eggs, cheese. Of course things like candy bars and waffles are high in calories too, but not good ones, haha!
I had that problem in my youth.. but alas, no more.

I think the key is to find the healthy things you like. Also, my cooking routine is always to ask "what can I add?' So nuts on salads, bed of spinach under meat dishes, fresh herbs, etc. But when I want a steak, I want a steak.

One thing I made an effort to learn how to cook more is beans. I found a lot of good recipes so I can increase them in our diet.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-18-2023, 03:17 PM

Thanks again everybody.

I titled my original post a little tongue-in-cheek because, deep down, I don't really like most vegan recipes. Oh sure, there are some things I like - such as green-based salads, nuts and seeds, and usually veggie soup. But, overall, many/most full vegan recipes taste pretty yucky to me.

Thanks for all your advice Mikala. I have, indeed, tried "easing" into vegan eating by weekly increasing the plants in my diet. I have moved to more plant-based meals for the past two years and added plants to my most beloved recipes. I thought I was eating healthily by avoiding fried foods, desserts, junk food, excess sugar and salt, and eating animal-based protein three times a week or less. It seems that I was deluding myself, according to my personal metabolic profile. So, after two months of mostly vegetarian/vegan eating, I tried going Full Vegan for a week and that drove me into a delirious (but yummy and satisfying) Spam Bender.

More and more research shows that most Americans need to move away from the Standard American Diet (SAD) to a plant-based diet. I suspect that many try but run into the same issues that I do - that, basically most vegan stuff really doesn't taste that good to a happy carnivore. Transitioning to vegan can be a very difficult learning process.

Old 12-18-2023, 08:19 PM

524 posts, read 245,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz View Post
Yeah, sure was, and I sure paid for it over and over again.

Have you tried making your own soy yogurt? Seems simple enough when I looked at it online. The main thing the creators emphasize is that all tools, containers, etc. must be thoroughly and completely sterile.
I have attempted soy yogurt. I figured that, since I have been making dairy yogurt for years, how hard can it be? The process itself is the same, but I find the fermentation time and the results to be less consistent than dairy yogurt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food