Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2024, 06:01 PM

7,165 posts, read 12,745,594 times

Advertisements

Do you have any yummy ones to share? Just ordered some pea protein powder. Want to make some green-ish smoothies, not too, too high in calories. Anyone have some kind of easy ones to share? And without terribly pricey ingredients?

Our goals are to up our protein, up our probiotics and increase our consumption of greens.

Big thanks from this smoothie novice wanting to learn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2024, 12:32 PM

1,276 posts, read 685,397 times
LittleDolphin sorry I missed this until now!
This is our most used and loved smoothie recipe. It comes from minimalistbaker.com

Healthy Orange Smoothie

1 C sweet potato puree, we use 1 baked or nuked sweet potato. Allow to cool
1 ripe banana sliced and frozen
1 T almond or peanut butter
1/4 tsp of ginger, tumeric and cinnamon, we use 1 tsp fresh grated ginger root in place of dry.
1 - 2 T flax seed meal or chia seeds
1 1/2 C non-dairy milk
1 peeled orange

Add all ingredients, milk first, to blender and blend until smooth. Adjust spices and sweetness to taste. Makes 2 servings.

Enjoy!

Old 06-03-2024, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellacatahoula View Post
LittleDolphin sorry I missed this until now!
This is our most used and loved smoothie recipe. It comes from minimalistbaker.com

Healthy Orange Smoothie

1 C sweet potato puree, we use 1 baked or nuked sweet potato. Allow to cool
1 ripe banana sliced and frozen
1 T almond or peanut butter
1/4 tsp of ginger, tumeric and cinnamon, we use 1 tsp fresh grated ginger root in place of dry.
1 - 2 T flax seed meal or chia seeds
1 1/2 C non-dairy milk
1 peeled orange

Add all ingredients, milk first, to blender and blend until smooth. Adjust spices and sweetness to taste. Makes 2 servings.

Enjoy!
Thanks! Just what I was looking for...

The only change I think I'll make is using pumpkin puree instead of the sweet potato. Just easier and similar in nutrition.

Do you think it would still taste good if I added some fresh spinach??

Old 06-03-2024, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Thanks! Just what I was looking for...

The only change I think I'll make is using pumpkin puree instead of the sweet potato. Just easier and similar in nutrition.

Do you think it would still taste good if I added some fresh spinach??
I don't see why not? Maybe just add a little and judge for yourself. Me I would rather drink as is and have a spinach salad but there are no wrong ways of eating healthy foods!

Old 06-03-2024, 06:35 PM

LittleDolphin here's another for you that we enjoy.

Apple Pear Green Smoothie

1lg pear, cored
1 lg apple, cored
1 1/2 C fresh spinach
1 C non-dairy milk
A handful of ice
2 T rolled oats
2 T nuts of your choice
optional....
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1 T maple syrup or
A date or two.

Add all to blender and blend until smooth.

Old 06-04-2024, 12:14 PM

^^

That sounds great!

Sometimes we make and eat home-made Museli for breakfast. Such an easy no-cook recipe is from Helen Nearing's simple vegetarian cookbook:

4 apples (she says to grate them but I chop 'em up in my Ninja)
2 cups old fashioned oats, uncooked
1/4 cup pumpkin or sunflower seeds
1/3 cup raisins
lemon juice, 2 T. (and you can include some zest, too)

Mix that up and eat! Sometimes I add Chia seeds, powdered flax, and some chopped walnuts for more protein)

I like mine with a bit of maple syrup and some oat or almond milk, though is fine without, too.

The above recipe makes about 4 breakfasts times two for DH and me...sticks to the ribs for a long time--very dense and nutrient-rich. Keeps, covered, in frig for 4-5 days.

Old Yesterday, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
^^

That sounds great!

Sometimes we make and eat home-made Museli for breakfast. Such an easy no-cook recipe is from Helen Nearing's simple vegetarian cookbook:

4 apples (she says to grate them but I chop 'em up in my Ninja)
2 cups old fashioned oats, uncooked
1/4 cup pumpkin or sunflower seeds
1/3 cup raisins
lemon juice, 2 T. (and you can include some zest, too)

Mix that up and eat! Sometimes I add Chia seeds, powdered flax, and some chopped walnuts for more protein)

I like mine with a bit of maple syrup and some oat or almond milk, though is fine without, too.

The above recipe makes about 4 breakfasts times two for DH and me...sticks to the ribs for a long time--very dense and nutrient-rich. Keeps, covered, in frig for 4-5 days.
I have read about the Nearings. Very interesting folks. They seemed to live in the past, yet their lifestyle appeals to the modern " back to nature" movement.
Thank you for this muesli recipe! I will give it a go real soon!

Old Today, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellacatahoula View Post
I have read about the Nearings. Very interesting folks. They seemed to live in the past, yet their lifestyle appeals to the modern " back to nature" movement.
Thank you for this muesli recipe! I will give it a go real soon!
Having a hellish day today with technology, I'm kind of wanting to live in the Nearings' non-tech, natural world. They wrote their books on typewriters--no passwords or crashes (except, on occasion, a changing of a typewriter ribbon).

Sounds most appealing to me right about now.

Tech is a boon when it works--but not for me, not today, anyhow.

Better go eat a big bowl of Helen's museli, followed by a red wine chaser. lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food