Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2009, 05:55 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,694,819 times

Advertisements

I don't think I have ever had an onion soup, but have quite a few onions from the farmer's market so figured I would give it a shot. Hubby is out of town, so why not take a change (typo - chance)? I googled some information about onion soups and after reading, put away the laptop and came up with this...

1/2 large white onion (I used a huge one!)
1 garlic clove
1 1/2 cups of broth
1 teaspoon of soy sauce
2 teaspoons vegan margarine
2 teaspoons of flour
2 tablespoons of oil
salt
pepper

Heat oil and margarine in a soup pot over medium heat. Chop onion and mince garlic. Add onion to pot, salt and pepper and let cook for 5 minutes. Add garlic and soy sauce. Turn heat WAY down and cover. Leave for 30 minutes, stirring when needed.

Add a bit of the soy sauce and stir, then sprinkle in flour and cook for a few minutes.

Add the rest of the broth. Heat.

This meal was enough for me, the soup and 3 biscuits - not to mention some wine .
If you are serving this as an appetizer or serving it with a salad, it may be fine for 2.

Mmm, this soup was creamy and comforting. It makes me want to type the word "homestyle". Just delicious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 05:56 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,215,277 times
Default "Chicken" ala King over Rice

1 1/4 cups water with a splash of vinegar and a vegetable bullion cube - bring to boiling and remove from heat (I like to use a microwave bowl). Add 1 cup dry, unflavored tvp chunks. Stir, cover and set aside.

Prepare your rice of choice and let it cook (rice, water, simmer) until done.

Add to a pot 1 tbs olive oil, one can cream of mushroom soup, one 8 1/2oz can sweet peas, and one 4oz can sliced mushrooms. Stir, heat and add the reconstituted tvp. Salt and black pepper to taste. Stir and heat for 15 minutes - let rest. Serve over cooked rice and enjoy!

I love this easy and quick and yummy meal, served over jasmine rice

Old 01-26-2009, 06:09 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,498,477 times
I don't post here very often because most of what I cook is very simple, fast and I don't necessarily think a lot of folk would like it! I love spicy foods, and just can't get into very complicated recipes. I love to cook things where you can taste all the different flavors, and they are not buried in sugar or salts.

I made gazpacho the other night, and put in baked eggplant and yellow and red peppers for color. Tasted good, but it ended up more like an eggplant puree - LOL, so I didn't post the recipe.

However, I came up with this for tonight's dinner:

-small, baked potatoes over sauteed spinach
-sprinkle with olive oil (I use OO with a floral, lemon essence - or use a bit of fresh lemon juice in the oil)
-top with eggplant hummus (add olives, onion or sliced tomatoes)

Wala! Simple, tasty, warm, colorful and filling. And good for you, too!

I've never routinely cooked for more than five people. But I still cannot understand why it's so difficult to cook fast and helathful meals for a family (as opposed to picking up some McD-type frankenfoods).

Just read your ala King recipe, quietwalker. That's another one I'll have to try. Great winter food ~

Old 01-26-2009, 06:40 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,215,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
... 1 1/4 cups water with a splash of vinegar and a vegetable bullion cube - bring to boiling and remove from heat (I like to use a microwave bowl). Add 1 cup dry, unflavored tvp chunks. Stir, cover and set aside ...
I keep forgetting that others may be unfamiliar with tvp and can't read my mind about this food I am so familiar with. Forgot to add...

One cup dry TVP (any kind) reconstituted with water equals approximately one pound cooked "meat". This for those who are trying to figure out how many servings my recipe might make

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBee View Post
... Just read your ala King recipe, quietwalker. That's another one I'll have to try. Great winter food ~
One thing I haven't seen for a long time is pastry shells. Used to be one could buy them from bakery shops, which you can't find anymore. There is a frozen variety available, which has all the preservatives, stabilizers, conditioners, colors, etc, and yet might be pretty good. I miss the old bakeries. This ala king and other creamed leftovers were very good in those pastry shells. I am currently on a quest to make a pie crust from scratch. After that, puff pastry will be the next adventure

Old 01-26-2009, 06:50 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,144,166 times
Both of the above ^^ sound great.

Quote:
I don't post here very often because most of what I cook is very simple, fast and I don't necessarily think a lot of folk would like it!
Simple and fast is GOOD! I cook a lot of "slow food" and bake in the winter, but in the summer we stay outside til dark-thirty and I need simple and fast.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
1 1/4 cups water with a splash of vinegar and a vegetable bullion cube - bring to boiling and remove from heat (I like to use a microwave bowl). Add 1 cup dry, unflavored tvp chunks. Stir, cover and set aside.

Prepare your rice of choice and let it cook (rice, water, simmer) until done.

Add to a pot 1 tbs olive oil, one can cream of mushroom soup, one 8 1/2oz can sweet peas, and one 4oz can sliced mushrooms. Stir, heat and add the reconstituted tvp. Salt and black pepper to taste. Stir and heat for 15 minutes - let rest. Serve over cooked rice and enjoy!

I love this easy and quick and yummy meal, served over jasmine rice

Mmm, this sounds great! We have been vegan in the house for about 7 or 8 months, so I could use my "own cream of mushroom" with soy milk. This sounds so yummy! Have not cooked with tvp yet.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBee View Post
I don't post here very often because most of what I cook is very simple, fast and I don't necessarily think a lot of folk would like it! I love spicy foods, and just can't get into very complicated recipes. I love to cook things where you can taste all the different flavors, and they are not buried in sugar or salts.

I made gazpacho the other night, and put in baked eggplant and yellow and red peppers for color. Tasted good, but it ended up more like an eggplant puree - LOL, so I didn't post the recipe.

However, I came up with this for tonight's dinner:

-small, baked potatoes over sauteed spinach
-sprinkle with olive oil (I use OO with a floral, lemon essence - or use a bit of fresh lemon juice in the oil)
-top with eggplant hummus (add olives, onion or sliced tomatoes)

Wala! Simple, tasty, warm, colorful and filling. And good for you, too!

I've never routinely cooked for more than five people. But I still cannot understand why it's so difficult to cook fast and helathful meals for a family (as opposed to picking up some McD-type frankenfoods).

Just read your ala King recipe, quietwalker. That's another one I'll have to try. Great winter food ~
MMM, i would add GARLIC to that spinach - loves it! This sounds yummy. I love the idea of putting the hummus over the potato!

Old 01-27-2009, 06:47 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,144,166 times
I was inspired by WoofWoofWoof's cabbage soup:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/6937519-post21.html

I had the cabbage and onion....but once I got in the kitchen I went all random (does that happen to anyone else? ).

So I sauteed the onion plus some celery in a mix of one pat butter plus some olive oil . I used some diced potatoes for the starch instead of flour. I seasoned with caraway plus some thyme (+salt and pepper and a bit of sugar). I used cider vinegar instead of the lemon juice. I had the tomatoes out and ready to go....but the little devil on my shoulder urged me to add a bit of heavy cream () instead. I ran ~40 minutes in ankle deep snow and felt like I deserved it!

I served this with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of smokey paprika. Crustly bread on the side.

Perfect after a day of sleet and snow.

Everyone stay warm and happy!

Old 01-28-2009, 06:11 AM

1,949 posts, read 3,872,615 times
I always laugh when I come to this thread, see all of the great looking veggie dishes people are making and remember how omnis often ask "then what do you eat?" Everything else!

Old 02-01-2009, 09:28 AM

1,949 posts, read 3,872,615 times
Tonight its Ratatouile with fresh baguette rustica (multigrain) - a nice warm cozy meal for a Sunday night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food