Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 04:05 PM

275 posts, read 687,269 times

Advertisements

since i became a vegan from a vegetarian, my mum thinks it's 'gross' living without cheese, milk and eggs, and she insist that it is a bit too extreme. i have been a vegan for over six months and am 22 yrs old. her reason for not liking my diet is because 'you are still growing and you not 30yrs old yet' she stated, meaning vegan life is more or less healhier than vegetarianism.

i just need some back up comments from, vegans and vegetarians only, to state what you think about this whole issue of being a vegan, is my mum right or it's just one of the things that people believe, eggs, milk and cheese are the good essential types of food in contribution towards protein, than purely without them.

to be frank with you i really love being a vegan than a vegetarian, but just drop your opinion base on this subject
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 04:43 PM

1,882 posts, read 4,620,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdonekings View Post
since i became a vegan from a vegetarian, my mum thinks it's 'gross' living without cheese, milk and eggs, and she insist that it is a bit too extreme. i have been a vegan for over six months and am 22 yrs old. her reason for not liking my diet is because 'you are still growing and you not 30yrs old yet' she stated, meaning vegan life is more or less healhier than vegetarianism.

i just need some back up comments from, vegans and vegetarians only, to state what you think about this whole issue of being a vegan, is my mum right or it's just one of the things that people believe, eggs, milk and cheese are the good essential types of food in contribution towards protein, than purely without them.

to be frank with you i really love being a vegan than a vegetarian, but just drop your opinion base on this subject
I'm bbbbaaaaaaacccccccccckkkkkkkk!

You know I'm not vegan/veg.....but I'm gonna post anyway.

Your 22yrs old. This is your life now, do what YOU think is right. You love being a vegan, then be one. Stay true to what you believe today, it may change, but stay true to what you believe today.

Your Mom is just concerned, she loves you. I think it is AWSOME that your Mom wants the best for you! But she knows well enough, doesn't she.

Jack, give her a hug, tell her you love her, and thank her for think'n of you. Love her back by being who you want to be, she WILL be proud and happy.

Old 10-27-2008, 04:52 PM

1,815 posts, read 5,401,717 times
Perhaps you could convince your Mom you are meeting all of your nutritional requirements in your vegan diet. I'm only a Vegetarian, but to make sure I have everything I need, I've talked with a nutritionist to determine my nutrition requirements (if you do this make SURE the nutritionist has worked with vegetarians/vegans before) and I track everything in fitday.com so I can make sure I'm meeting my needs. I also take a B vitamin supplement among others as an insurance policy. I've been Vegetarian now for about 6 years and have never felt better. I don't think I could go Vegan though, I'd miss things like honey - but I get most of mine from a friend who runs her own hives and she doesn't kill the bees and leaves them enough honey to get through the winter.

Old 10-28-2008, 07:10 AM

good to hear from you capt. caveman, i bet you love these vegan, vegetarian forums, yea good point you stated there too, i guess at the end of the day we as he driver of our ship decide what's best for us

Old 10-28-2008, 08:29 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,620,391 times
Quote:
good to hear from you capt. caveman, i bet you love these vegan, vegetarian forums, yea good point you stated there too, i guess at the end of the day we as he driver of our ship decide what's best for us
I do like this, I've learned alot.......still learning. I need to know this kind of stuff as I raise animals. I'm not against what people eat, I just want people to know that farmers(big and small) do care.

take care jack.

Old 10-28-2008, 12:46 PM

947 posts, read 3,409,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post
I do like this, I've learned alot.......still learning. I need to know this kind of stuff as I raise animals. I'm not against what people eat, I just want people to know that farmers(big and small) do care.

take care jack.
Hey Capt. I know that we haven't chatted but just want to say that I read your prior posts re another veggie thread and I was getting upset... But I am glad to hear your Great words of Encouragement!!!! for Jack!!!

Jack, I do agree that explaining to Mom that you are meeting all your nutritional needs and are also staying healthy whether vegetarian or vegan You are taking good care of Your body and you are an adult!!!

I hope your Mom will understand your reasoning too behind your choices in life.

Old 10-28-2008, 01:10 PM

1,949 posts, read 3,865,200 times
Jack,
The more you can educate yourself about vegan nutrition, the more likely it is that you'll eat a healthy vegan diet. It will also prepare you to convince your Mother that you know what you are doing.

Also, be sure you know exactly why you want to transition from a vegatarian to a vegan diet. By truly understanding your own motivations and educating yourself on how to thrive as a vegan, you'll be able to proceed with confidence (and your Mom won't be worried).

Capt Cave Man,
Welcome back. You seem so interested in vegetarianism that you may end up one yourself some day...we'll welcome you with open arms.

Old 10-28-2008, 01:18 PM

947 posts, read 3,409,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
Jack,
The more you can educate yourself about vegan nutrition, the more likely it is that you'll eat a healthy vegan diet. It will also prepare you to convince your Mother that you know what you are doing.

Also, be sure you know exactly why you want to transition from a vegatarian to a vegan diet. By truly understanding your own motivations and educating yourself on how to thrive as a vegan, you'll be able to proceed with confidence (and your Mom won't be worried).

Capt Cave Man,
Welcome back. You seem so interested in vegetarianism that you may end up one yourself some day...we'll welcome you with open arms.
Yea, Yeah what Xpat said! I couldn't say it better myself!

Old 10-28-2008, 09:56 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,830,745 times
Quote:
since i became a vegan from a vegetarian, my mum thinks it's 'gross' living without cheese, milk and eggs, and she insist that it is a bit too extreme.
Well, I'm not sure I would argue with a parent over this, but it is interesting she used the word "gross" when there is all sorts of evidence that eating cheese, milk, and eggs is what is gross.

Google Neal Barnard, John Robbins ("Diet for a New America"), T. Colin Campbell.

Then maybe just tell your mom that you feel better when you avoid dairy and eggs.

Old 10-30-2008, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
Well, I'm not sure I would argue with a parent over this, but it is interesting she used the word "gross" when there is all sorts of evidence that eating cheese, milk, and eggs is what is gross.

Google Neal Barnard, John Robbins ("Diet for a New America"), T. Colin Campbell.

Then maybe just tell your mom that you feel better when you avoid dairy and eggs.
you right Topaz, the media and the schools teach us that diary products help us to grow. businesses make a lot of profit even as adult since being manipulated to think that way they still recommend diary for them and their kids, so i understand where my mum is coming from.

it's crazy because all milk is high in calcium for little toddlers to grow strong bones not for adults, some do have problems in digesting it. we'll how she reacts when i visit my parents for Christmas and dad's birthday. honestly vegan is good i have never felt better and since am a student i can cope to concentrate for hours and i have a lot of stamina when cycling on my daily basis too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food