Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 08:06 AM

228 posts, read 799,918 times

Advertisements

My senior year of high school I had to dissect a fetal pig. I stopped eating red meat after that. When I went to college, my roommate was a vegetarian, which influenced me to stop eating chicken.

For years I still ate fish, but I am currently trying to lean towards a vegan diet. I will probably never become fully vegan, but try to limit my dairy and egg intake (looking to stop eating fish all together). I feel much better (physically and mentally).

I don't think humans are supposed to consume animal products at all, it doesn't make sense when you actually think about it. Besides, who decided that it's okay to eat a pig or cow, but not a dog or cat???
I have read that pigs are smarter than dogs. If we started slaughtering dogs, people would become outraged.

As far as the "survival of the fittest" argument, there are plenty of strong animals who only consume plants. I know animals eat other animals, but we are humans, are we not supposed to be more evolved?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 10:15 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,347,333 times
I am NOT a vegetarian but I think I was probably always close to naturally being one. I remember being 12 years old and thinking how disgusting meat was, but we were a meat and potatoes family and meat was the main course of every meal. Still, I kind of picked at it and I never have been a huge meat eater. I remember eating beef stew one time and seeing a vein sticking out of a piece of meat. Blech!

If I had been born 20 years later, I think I definitely would have been vegetarian. I just grew up around people who ate meat and made it the focal point of every meal.

Another thing I have thought about - I know if it were up to ME to go out and hunt/kill meat to eat, I'd definitely be a vegetarian because I wouldn't be able to kill an animal so I could eat. I just couldn't do it. I hate to see shows where animals are being hunted. It seems so cruel. I know there is overpopulation of some animals and that hunting helps to keep it down, but isn't there a natural order of things where their natural predators (not human) would keep the populations in check?

My main problem is that, as much as meat disgusts me at times (other times tastes good), I don't really know what to eat if I don't eat meat. Eating vegetables is just boring to me and I guess I'm not all that fond of vegetables anyway. I do like pasta but then there's the whole carb thing (although I know whole grain pastas are better choices). And then if you eliminate animal products too (milk, cheese, butter, eggs) - what is left to eat?! And then I have a husband who is a meat lover.

Reading this thread has given me a lot to think about, though, and I am going to work on eliminating meat. I sort of pick the meat out of whatever I eat already; I'll just try not having it in there to begin with.

Old 04-09-2009, 01:11 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,667,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I am NOT a vegetarian but I think I was probably always close to naturally being one. I remember being 12 years old and thinking how disgusting meat was, but we were a meat and potatoes family and meat was the main course of every meal. Still, I kind of picked at it and I never have been a huge meat eater. I remember eating beef stew one time and seeing a vein sticking out of a piece of meat. Blech!

If I had been born 20 years later, I think I definitely would have been vegetarian. I just grew up around people who ate meat and made it the focal point of every meal.

Another thing I have thought about - I know if it were up to ME to go out and hunt/kill meat to eat, I'd definitely be a vegetarian because I wouldn't be able to kill an animal so I could eat. I just couldn't do it. I hate to see shows where animals are being hunted. It seems so cruel. I know there is overpopulation of some animals and that hunting helps to keep it down, but isn't there a natural order of things where their natural predators (not human) would keep the populations in check?

My main problem is that, as much as meat disgusts me at times (other times tastes good), I don't really know what to eat if I don't eat meat. Eating vegetables is just boring to me and I guess I'm not all that fond of vegetables anyway. I do like pasta but then there's the whole carb thing (although I know whole grain pastas are better choices). And then if you eliminate animal products too (milk, cheese, butter, eggs) - what is left to eat?! And then I have a husband who is a meat lover.

Reading this thread has given me a lot to think about, though, and I am going to work on eliminating meat. I sort of pick the meat out of whatever I eat already; I'll just try not having it in there to begin with.
I was in the same boat, and had been flirting with vegatarianism for at least ten years now.
Then, I roasted a turkey. I had to pull its neck out of its cavity. That to me, sealed the deal.
I haven't eaten meat for almost a month now, and not only do I not miss it I find the longer I go without meat the more disgusting it looks and smells to me.
I don't care for pasta, so I have been eating a lot of salads with extra 'crunchies' in it, gardenburgers, roasted veggies, and veggie pot pie. Love that!
It is kind of a drag that I am making two meals every night, but I really feel physically healthier and I had been horribly nightblind and now that has even improved dramatically.
Take my advice, go into this as a day by day thing and see how long the journey takes you. That is what I did I do not feel deprived at all.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:55 AM

113 posts, read 518,579 times
I have a cousin that is 13 years older than me. She has been a vegetarian since she was a kid. She has always been one of the kindest gentlest souls I ever met. I guess she influenced me. That and the fact that we are all animal lovers. Even with all that I didn't become consistently vegetarian until my 30's. I did revert back to being an omnivore a few times but I honestly get sick when I eat omnivore for a period of time. My blood pressure and cholesterol is high when I am an omnivore. Very high. It went up to being consistently 140/100. The Dr. wanted to put me on medicine. I decided to go back on a vegetarian diet again. After 3 weeks my blood pressure went down to 120/85. And now it is even lower. No medicine needed. It is a hereditary thing as my sister and father had to go on blood pressure medicine at a relatively young age. I have transitioned to eating mostly vegan now. Many days I eat mostly raw foods. I find I have no real desire for animal products. I get cravings for mangos,pineapple,salsa,watermelon,and avocados.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:07 AM

2,143 posts, read 8,052,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewatergirl888 View Post

I don't think humans are supposed to consume animal products at all, it doesn't make sense when you actually think about it. Besides, who decided that it's okay to eat a pig or cow, but not a dog or cat???
That part is cultural. In the far east, people eat dogs and cats and you can buy them at a market.

Old 05-02-2009, 11:44 PM

431 posts, read 1,663,600 times
It is kind of funny that the United States culture has a dogs and "cats at a higher level than other animals menality" when it comes to a pig or a cow. I guess since most people are so used to having them pets than comparing to the number of people that have a cow or a pig as pets.

Then,I can see why and not to mention,that they are able to afford to be picky with our diet whether it is meat based,veggie based,or mixed.

When you can't be picky,then you eat what you need to be healthy,survival is a basic human need.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:31 PM

481 posts, read 809,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJingle View Post
Factory farming is reason enough.
Yes. This is the main reason I gladly gave up meat. Those poor factory animals living in filth, being fed trash food they would not normally eat. Then slaughtered while in a terrified state.

Read John Robbins "Diet for a New America" and "Fast Food Nation."

Then decide. Good luck!

Old 07-15-2009, 06:33 PM

481 posts, read 809,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post

Being vegetarian is not just eating veggies. Tonight we are having Shepherd's Pie with garlic mashed potatoes, green salad with avacados and oranges, and crusty bread.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:42 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,869,979 times
Sounds yummy! Welcome to the forum, and anytime you have a recipe or menu to share, feel free to include it on the What's for Dinner thread.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:12 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,711,363 times
when i was 12 i went to a thanksgiving dinner where venison was served, and i didn't want to eat it. then i asked myself why i'd eat a cow but not a deer, and i became vegetarian. i had a brief period where i ate chicken and fish but then i decided that was silly.

i grew up in a family where meat was not served at every meal, so it was easier for me than it is for some people.

when i was 21 or 22 i became vegan.

when i first became vegetarian it was all about not killing animals, but now i'm more concerned with the environmental, animal cruelty, health, and human rights issues surrounding factory farms. i doubt i'd ever go back to eating meat, but i'd be happy with a world where animals are raised on small farms in a sustainable way, and food doesn't travel very far from producer to consumer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food