Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2009, 06:54 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,777,901 times

Advertisements

I heard last night on NPR that a senator is trying -- for the 4th time -- to ban antibiotic use in farm animals that are not sick. She says that 75% of the antibiotic use in this country is geared to cover up the crowded, filthy conditions farm animals live in. And we all know the outcome of this: new, resistant strains of bacteria like our special friend, MRSA, which killed 18,000 people in the USA last year.

This senator may fail yet again -- that farm lobby is pretty dang powerful -- so you people know what to do. [BULLHORN]STEP AWAY FROM THE DAIRY CASE WITH YOUR HANDS OVER YOUR HEAD. PROCEED IMMEDIATELY TO THE PRODUCE AISLE.[/BULLHORN]

As for MRSA, if you see anything on your body that looks like an unfamiliar type of bug bite, go IMMEDIATELY to an urgent care or ER and make sure it isn't a MRSA lesion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 10:42 AM

5,169 posts, read 11,448,046 times
Good advice Cliffie. I just ordered a vegan cookbook for brunch items (have to wait until the release in June). My husband still has a craving for an omelette once in a while, so I want to come up with more vegan breakfast options.

forum rules, please read them

Old 03-23-2009, 10:53 AM

Man, you know a lifestyle change has truly arrived when there are special brunch-only cookbooks accomodating it. My own recommendation would be those rice-paper wraps with matchsticked vegetables inside, dipped in teriyaki sauce. Wash down with iced tea.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:08 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,687,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
Good advice Cliffie. I just ordered a vegan cookbook for brunch items (have to wait until the release in June). My husband still has a craving for an omelette once in a while, so I want to come up with more vegan breakfast options.

I made migas with tofu and was pretty darn happy with the outcome!

The migas were inspired by this recipe I found online, thanks!

1/2 pound tofu
good handful of spinach
3-4 mushrooms
1/2 yellow onion
oil
1 garlic clove
soy sauce
nutritional yeast
a handful of corn chips
salt/pepper

Take block of tofu and simple crumble into a bowl using your hands.

Drizzle a bit of soy sauce on the tofu crumbles and toss with a bit of nutritional yeast. Add to heated and slightly oiled pan. Halfway through cooking, add a bit of minced garlic and remember to turn often - cook until "done" - nice and brown.

In a different oiled pan, add a good handful of fresh chopped spinach, chopped mushrooms and sliced onion. Cook until done and then add to the pan with the tofu - mix.

Here is an easy way to avoid making your own corn tortilla strips - just use a handful from a bag of corn tortilla chips. I try to keep these in the house because the chips go so well with refried beans - a great dinner or football snack.

So anyway, add the crushed chips to the same bowl you cooked the spinach etc. in - allow to heat and brown a bit - add to migas, salt and pepper - mix around and serve!

Hubby liked it even though he is not the biggest spinach fan. I will make this with red peppers next time!

Grill Pressed Hashbrowns

3 medium potatoes
1/2 yellow onion
salt/fresh ground pepper
oil

Cube potatoes - small! Boil in water for just a bit.

Drain. Chop onion.

Add potatoes in a nice layer to the oiled and hot pan. Add onions on top. Salt and pepper. Cover for the first 10 minutes or so. Uncover and flip potatoes and onion around.

Use a grill press or push down with a spatula!

Flip around!

Grill press again and again...

Cook until done! These are so good! They have a nice crunch on the outside and are nice and soft on the inside.

I served breakfast today with toasted pita bread - a nice compliment to the above dishes. With some added fruit, I would say this can feed 3 or 4. We had left over migas between the 2 of us.

Enjoy!

Old 03-23-2009, 08:24 PM

That sounds yummy, thanks... I will try this out, getting hungry just reading the recipe

Old 03-24-2009, 05:40 AM

1,467 posts, read 5,132,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
That sounds yummy, thanks... I will try this out, getting hungry just reading the recipe
Let me know when it's ready and I'll come over...

Old 03-24-2009, 08:31 PM

I made it today and it was yummy! Will make it again for sure .
If any of you want to come over, let me know

Old 03-30-2009, 07:15 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,438,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
As for MRSA, if you see anything on your body that looks like an unfamiliar type of bug bite, go IMMEDIATELY to an urgent care or ER and make sure it isn't a MRSA lesion.
Please do not go to the ER to 'make sure' of what your lesion is. Go to the ER if it gets infected and you can't make it in to your primary doctor's office.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:23 AM

18,359 posts, read 26,528,117 times
No, just another reason for me to hunt for my own meat...beware of the produce section, some of the stuff getting sprayed on it isn't too good IMHO...the only real way to know your food is safe is to grow, raise, or kill it yourself.

Old 04-09-2009, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Please do not go to the ER to 'make sure' of what your lesion is. Go to the ER if it gets infected and you can't make it in to your primary doctor's office.
Why not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food