Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 07:51 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,994,521 times

Advertisements

I'm a vegetarian who eats only occasional dairy and, on rare occasions, some fish. But I don't eat meat, poultry or eggs.

My family is coming to visit me from out of state this summer, and they are SO opposite me in their eating habits. It's meat, meat, meat. And not only that, but they like the worst kind of meat (processed red meat like hot dogs, bologna, etc.)

I want to be a good hostess, so I know I'm going to have to provide food they like. But I can't stand the smell of hot dogs, eggs, or basically any meat. How am I going to stand it?

I've thought about just taking them out or ordering in (then I don't have to actually buy, handle or cook the meat myself), but that would get very expensive.

Have any of you had this experience? If so, how did you handle it? And if you haven't had this experience, and you were in my shoes, what advice would you give? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 09:36 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,683,716 times
Hey there!

Hubby and I entertain often, usually 1 or 2 couples for dinner. Sometimes, one couple, our sisters or one friend to stay for the weekend.

In all circumstances I always cook vegan. However, I usually go above and beyond offering many sides and many options. For instance, breakfast could be bagels with vegan cream cheese, toast, hash browns, refried beans, tortillas, fruit smoothies etc.

If you go out, hey, they can get what they want...

I really do suggest making any of your breakfasts, lunches or dinners as "option friendly" as possible.

I am not able to post my cooking blog but will send it to you personally.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr1039 View Post
Hey there!

Hubby and I entertain often, usually 1 or 2 couples for dinner. Sometimes, one couple, our sisters or one friend to stay for the weekend.

In all circumstances I always cook vegan. However, I usually go above and beyond offering many sides and many options. For instance, breakfast could be bagels with vegan cream cheese, toast, hash browns, refried beans, tortillas, fruit smoothies etc.

If you go out, hey, they can get what they want...

I really do suggest making any of your breakfasts, lunches or dinners as "option friendly" as possible.

I am not able to post my cooking blog but will send it to you personally.
Thank you!

Old 05-12-2009, 01:51 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,915,475 times
My entire extended family eats meat. However, my parents and MIL enjoy eating my meals and my MIL and father even order vegetarian when we eat out. My FIL and his wife never visit. I mean never. Once, two years ago, my FIL found himself at our house (first time) at meal time (again a first). I forgot what I made, but it was something substanial and of course yummy and I could see his surprise when he said it was really good. Sometimes I wonder what they think we eat! Anyhow, I do almost all the cooking when we visit my MIL, and her husband usually loves what I make (he said he never liked vegetables until I started cooking for them), but still needs to sneak out for some greasy hamburgers. Both the FIL, Step-MIL, and Step-FIL are all meat-and-potato kind of people. Beyond extreme.

Moral of the story: Start trying out substantial, yummy recipes now. They will live and you might just show them a thing or two. Also plan a couple nights out, and if you are in an area to do so (and your family likes to), do a cook-out so they can have their hotdogs.

Oh--and remember that Mexican and Italian meals are a great crossover choice. Your family probably won't even remember to look for the meat. (maybe??...) Good luck!

Old 05-12-2009, 04:58 AM

1,467 posts, read 5,129,401 times
I second the above poster's suggestions of Italian and Mexican.

A big pan of vegetarian lasagna would be a low stress meal. Easy too since you can assemble ahead of time. I make spaghetti with bean balls for some of my carnivore friends. They love it.

Bean and cheese burritos can be dressed up to make a nice lunch, as can fancy cheese sandwiches and hummus wraps.

Don't forget about a nice stir fry. Throw some frozen veggies, tofu, and sauce in a pan and cook. Then place atop some steamed rice.

I always find breakfast the easiest meal when having company since most people don't eat a huge breakfast these days unless dining out. I usually offer bagels and/or pastries. I also make jelly cupcakes that I offer for breakfast. They are really a dessert but so are donuts, right? LOL

Good luck....

Old 05-14-2009, 01:13 PM

809 posts, read 3,569,575 times
I'd suggest keeping a lot of fruit on hand and maybe a big fruit salad in the fridge. So if they hate what you make, they can grab a banana or watermelon or something!

I think baked ziti, eggplant parmesan, and/ or fettucini alfredo with bread, salad, and maybe a vegtable side would make a great meal.

I think Tofo might scare some non-vegetarians.

Also, you might think about buying some sandwich bread, sliced cheese and bologna or turkey so they can make a sandwich for lunch. You could put the ingredients out and they could make their own.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:10 PM

1,949 posts, read 3,863,847 times
A big pot of veggie chili made with Morningstar crumbles - they'll never know its vegetarian until you tell them!

Old 05-14-2009, 08:24 PM

I LOVE all your suggestions. Thank you.

Truth is, I don't cook. So I'm a bit nervous about making veggie lasagna, etc. I'm a peanut butter & jelly sandwich kind of girl...a very lazy cook.

But I'll try. Thanks!

Old 05-15-2009, 01:36 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,915,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
I LOVE all your suggestions. Thank you.

Truth is, I don't cook. So I'm a bit nervous about making veggie lasagna, etc. I'm a peanut butter & jelly sandwich kind of girl...a very lazy cook.

But I'll try. Thanks!
In that case--spaghetti, a really good store-bought sauce, and garlic bread! And relax--they are family, they have to love you no matter what you eat!

Are you in the Appleton area?

Old 05-15-2009, 05:23 AM

2,143 posts, read 8,031,998 times
Get a pizza.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food