Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 11:27 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,685,538 times

Advertisements

you should use a lighter oil like canola, or sunflower oil.

i don't know if agave would do it - you need something that's going to melt and make a shell on the popcorn. evaporated cane juice would probably work though. or demerara sugar. turbinado might too, although the crystals might be too big to melt in time. you could pulse it in a blender a few times to break down the crystals though. MAYBE stevia would work, although i've never really worked with that.

a whirley pop is a stovetop popcorn popper. it's basically just a pot, but it has vents in the top to let the steam out and a handle attached to a thing inside that stirs the popcorn. it's the perfect popping vessel, in my opinion. you can just use a regular pan (covered) and shake it, though.

Amazon.com: Whirley-Pop Stovetop Popcorn Popper: Kitchen & Dining
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2010, 02:11 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,479,188 times
Thanks, groar!

Old 03-18-2010, 11:04 AM

35 posts, read 331,332 times
Default For popcorn

Wow, the kettle corn recipe sounds great. Going to give it a try.

I use coconut oil for stirfrying, smoothies and for popcorn. Nice crunchy texture.

Old 03-18-2010, 05:15 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,844,101 times
Kettle corn ..... <*drooooooool*>

Old 03-18-2010, 05:23 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,479,188 times
Here's a fast recipe for vegan pizza (adjust at will!) that I tried a few days ago. Very simple for when you have unexpected company or are too tired to cook much.

Cornmeal pizza pie crust, frozen
Sauce:
*tomato paste, diced roasted tomatoes with onions (canned)
*TVP crumbles
*steamed asparagus (fresh)
*black olives
*roasted, minced garlic bits

I sprinkled a little olive oil on the crust, added the ingredients, then sprinkled a bit more olive oil on top. Baking took about 35 minutes, less if the crust is at room temp.

My photo talents leave a lot to be desired! Pic really doesn't do it justice - it was delicious, got many compliments and made the kitchen smell wonderful!

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn274/Blinka2351/th_e0840186.jpg (broken link)

Old 03-20-2010, 02:00 PM

pizza is one of our staples! we use trader joe's premade pizza dough, put some cornmeal and sesame seeds on the pan. get the oven as hot as we can.

we just use jarred or leftover spaghetti sauce and then whatever vegetables we want. usually green and red peppers, hot peppers, garlic and onions. sometimes we'll also use soyrizo or fake sausage or pepperoni. i put my homemade sausages on there the last time i made them and they were really good.

cbowden, coconut oil sounds like a good idea for popcorn! i have some left over from making vegan samoa cookies, i'll have to give it a try.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:17 AM

1,422 posts, read 2,305,454 times
Default Vegan Moroccan Tagine Recipe

This is great - VERY easy, the chopping takes a while but once that's done it's just a case of simmering.

A Very Good Tagine/Tajine (Vegetarian) - 269669 - Recipezaar

It's very healthy too, just use a little spray oil to quickly fry off the onion and mushroom.

I used 2 teaspoons of Ground Coriander Seed and Cumin and only one teaspoon of Cinnamon as I find it a little overpowering.

I also added a pinch of salt to balance the sweetness.

(You can always adjust spices to taste as you cook it).

Serve over cous cous or rice.

Delicious!

Old 03-24-2010, 08:16 AM

that sounds good, thanks for posting it!

a tablespoon of cinnamon does sound like an awful lot.

i made this last night, it was delicious although the carrots took forever to be done:

http://justbento.com/handbook/johbis...-carrot-spread

i love the fact that someone wrote a whole cookbook of just vegan carrot recipes! i wish it was available in english.

Old 04-01-2010, 02:06 PM

1,869 posts, read 4,025,652 times
Here's an easy snack:
slice apples. sprinkle with cinnamon, fresh ground ginger, and drizzle with honey. Enjoy!

Old 04-11-2010, 08:22 AM

4,803 posts, read 8,754,674 times
My Favorite Soup Recipe (Vegan)

Bear with me because I don't normally measure, I just chop and toss whatever veggies sound good to me at the time.

Olive oil
4 cloves of garlic
2 tsp fennel seeds
fresh basil and oregano to taste OR 3 total tsp dried herbs (rub in palm of hand to release oils before adding to soup)
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 bag of organic baby carrots, chopped
2 ribs celery, chopped
1/2 medium purple onion, chopped fine
two handfuls of fresh spinach, chopped fine (okay to use organic chopped frozen)
1-1/2 C shelled edamame (soybeans) available frozen--don't use canned soybeans
1 C fresh or frozen corn (not canned)
1 large baking potato--chopped into small cubes
1 can organic white beans
1 can organic garbanzo beans
1 16 oz can of organic chopped tomatoes
1 32 oz carton of vegetable broth
(I also generally add a cup or two of water with a veggie bouillon cube depending upon how soupy you want your soup)

Cover the bottom of a soup pot with olive oil.
Heat pan and add garlic, onion, and fennel seed. Stir and cook until fragrant.
Add celery, carrots, and potatoes and continue to cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
Add vegetable broth and tomatoes along with basil and oregano.
Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
Add beans, corn and edamame--at this point, I usually add a cup or two of water and a veggie bouillon cube.
Simmer until potatoes and carrots are tender, but not mushy.
Add spinach and cook until the spinach is wilted.

Serve and enjoy (I like to add a crusty bread--this is really filling, so adding a salad is overkill!)

I make this soup vegan, but my family still eats cheese--so this soup can be topped with fresh Parmesan cheese if you desire. It compliments the "Italian" taste of this soup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food