Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you handle entertaining omnivores?
I only prepare and offer food that I would eat myself 10 83.33%
I prepare some dishes with meat/animal products in addition to my veg dishes 1 8.33%
I have some omnivore friends but I don't invite them over 0 0%
I have no omnivore friends - problem solved! 0 0%
other (please explain) 1 8.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 09:51 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,438,836 times

Advertisements

I've always wondered how vegetarians/vegans handle entertaining omnivores. This thought occurred to me because I have always accommodated vegetarians/vegans when entertaining by ensuring there was a wide selection of vegetables and at least one non-animal protein source.

I'm adding a poll - if you select other, please explain by posting a reply - thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 10:13 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,117,403 times
I voted
Quote:
I only prepare and offer food that I would eat myself
When I visit omnivore friends I really don't expect them to cook something specifically for me. It's nice if they want to try, but I can usually manage to find something to eat and I can supplement my protein intake at home.

Last edited by plaidmom; 09-21-2009 at 10:42 AM..

Old 09-21-2009, 10:18 AM

1,306 posts, read 3,121,370 times
I'm not a vegetarian, but I would think one could cook vegetarian food and leave out anything "foreign" like seitan or tempeh if you don't think the omnivores are adventurous. I don't think a vegetarian should be expected to buy meat and cook it; it's a lot different than an omnivore choosing to leave meat out of a dish or two.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:07 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,678,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calel View Post
I don't think a vegetarian should be expected to buy meat and cook it; it's a lot different than an omnivore choosing to leave meat out of a dish or two.
for sure.

a vegan/vegetarian diet includes foods that are entirely within an omnivore's diet. an omnivore can eat anything a vegan can.

an ominovorous diet includes foods that are outside of a vegan or vegetarian's diet. so a vegetarian or vegan can't eat everything an omnivore can.

so yeah, i don't think a vegetarian or vegan making only food they would eat themselves is the same thing as an omnivore not providing anything that a vegetarian or vegan could eat. the latter is serving food that your guest can't (or won't) eat and the former is not. the concept way more simple than this longass post of mine merits!

i serve vegan food in my house, and i haven't had any complaints, cause i'm a good cook! i am ok with omnis bringing their own non-vegan food into the house if they want to though (say if i'm having a potluck or big family dinner).

Old 09-21-2009, 11:25 AM

4,627 posts, read 10,474,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
the concept way more simple than this longass post of mine merits!

It's just all so simple, isn't it? Not a big issue at all.

I agree with groar's post. I've never had a problem finding food to eat when dining at friends' houses - even when they don't make anything "special." Normal people eat a varied diet, so it's not like all they eat is flesh.

My friends care that I feel at ease in their homes and vice versa. Friends and good hosts do that! If they want to bring something to my house to eat, no problem. But firing up a barbeque or cooking meat in my kitchen? Not happening ~ .

Old 09-21-2009, 09:01 PM

2,143 posts, read 8,034,882 times
If I felt ok buying meat and preparing it, there isn't much of a jump to eating it. Be true to your principals.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:20 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,741,991 times
I agree. Most people don't eat meat at every meal anyway, do they? Maybe some do, but even so, they can eat and enjoy a non-meat meal. If they're allergic to something or don't like a certain food I'll avoid that (or make sure there are sufficient options), but we're talking about the exclusion of certain foods, not the inclusion.

Besides, I can't imagine anyone would want to eat any meat that I prepared, anyway, seeing as I don't know how to cook it.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:29 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,678,460 times
some people have to have meat at every meal, or at least they make it out that way when they're faced with a vegetarian meal. those people tend to be pretty immature though.

when i was growing up we often had vegetarian meals - in fact my grandmother used to feed us steak after steak when we came to visit because she thought we were going to die of malnutrition. but my point is, it made it really easy to become fully vegetarian - a ton of my favorite meals were still on the menu and my mom knew how to cook for me (i was 12).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food