Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 07:14 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,785,175 times

Advertisements

Some members who don't normally frequent this forum are concerned for the well-being of individuals who follow vegan/vegetarian diets, having found some articles that suggest eating tofu can lead to medical problems, and I agreed that it was worth taking a look at.

For example, this article from Dr. Mercola warns against a number of health issues that can arise from eating "western style" tofu (which is processed differently from the tofu consumed on a daily basis by billions of Asians).

There's also this BBC article, which states that there may be an increased risk of dementia due to tofu consumption. The study cited was conducted on elderly individuals who ate tofu on a daily basis. (Midway through the article, one of the researchers states: that there was no suggestion that eating tofu in moderation posed a problem.)

So:

First of all -- for the vegetarians here -- how often do you eat tofu? Is it a part of your daily diet, or do you eat it less frequently than that (or not at all)?

Second -- how much credence do you put in these reports?

Third -- which do you believe poses the greater health risk, a vegetarian diet (with or without tofu) or a "typical" American diet of multiple portions of meat on a daily basis, accompanied by heavily-processed side dishes and sugar-sweetened drinks, along with the occasional salad or otherwise unprocessed food?

Let's discuss .....

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 09-20-2009 at 07:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 07:42 PM

5,161 posts, read 11,399,563 times
I believe that eating tofu causes less health problems than eating meat or dairy. However, I am reading a lot of conflicting information about soy, so I limit my soy consumption to twice a week at most. I prefer to eat tempeh, which is made from fermented soybeans and is easier to digest. I would really hesitate to eat tofu made from gene manipulated soybeans, as the long term health effects are still unknown and information is conflicting.... so buy organic. I have started using hemp or almond milk in place of soy milk, for the most part...also because Silk is now no longer using organic soybeans in most of their products.

forum rules, please read them

Old 09-20-2009, 08:40 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,930,062 times
I have been a strick vegetarian for 18 yrs. I am not sick, I do not have health problems. I completely believe that eating a vegetarian diet is much more beneficial to your health than eating a typical American diet. I do not eat tofu, but I do eat occasionally the veggie burgers. I do drink soy milk, and raised my kids all of them on soy milk and now they are raising thier kids on soy milk. we are lactose intollerant that is why we chose soy milk, besides it tastes great too. Almond milk does taste pretty good too. The American Cancer association is now putting out commercials that say eating more vegetarian meals a week is beneficial to your health, they also have the same commerical that says giving you kids more vegetarian meals is good for them. I do believe that meat and dairy do cause health risks and cancers.

Old 09-20-2009, 10:00 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,437,010 times
It's all I got:

Old 09-20-2009, 11:36 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,344,674 times
There are many, many studies, but one could read some summaries, such as the one by Dr. McDougall, who was a nutrition consultant for Carl Lewis while he was competing/training in the Olympics, so I consider him credible.
http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/pdf/pdf050400nl.pdf

There is the US Health and Human Services summary.
Effects of Soy on Health Outcomes: Summary of Evidence Report/Technology Assessment, No. 126

Old 09-20-2009, 11:56 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,344,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post

For example, this article from Dr. Mercola warns against a number of health issues that can arise from eating "western style" tofu (which is processed differently from the tofu consumed on a daily basis by billions of Asians).
How is "western style" tofu different from any other tofu? They are all made the same way if they are tofu. Unless it is referring to mass production in factories, but that is not what it says. It seems to be talking about processed soy foods which are not the same thing.

Phytoestrogen levels in tofu are high but are less than in soybeans, and flax seeds have even more. However, clearly if phytoestrogen levels are high, then consumption should not be excessive, just like anything else.

Last edited by f_m; 09-21-2009 at 12:09 AM..

Old 09-21-2009, 12:05 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,608,323 times
I stopped eating tofu a lot ever since I discovered it would speed up my two-pack protrusion much earlier than my much six-pack ambition

Old 09-21-2009, 06:35 AM

1,467 posts, read 5,114,892 times
Everything in MODERATION.....

Old 09-21-2009, 06:51 AM

259 posts, read 730,054 times
Two of my friends ended up being pretty ill from eating a lot if soy foods on a constant basis (soy is in everything!) they learned that the estrogen actually built up in their system. They both went on a soy-free diet for a few weeks to get the excess estrogen out of their system and now they just pay attention to the amount of soy they eat.

(both friends went through this at different times. Actually, if it wasn't for one of them, it would have taken forever for the other figure out what was going on.)

(both friends are women)

Old 09-21-2009, 06:58 AM

259 posts, read 730,054 times
I wanted to add that my mom (who is an RN) has heard that you shouldn't give babies soy formula. But I gave mine soy-based formula and he's never had an issue (he's a boy).

Interesting, huh?

As JJingle says, everything in moderation (and hopefully the soy fad will be over soon)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food