Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 01:22 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,445,049 times

Advertisements

Sauteed Yellow and/or Green Zucchini Squash.

I typically make one of all type, but you can mix them for variety.

I use these:
Spoiler

Take 2 medium sized zucchini (over 6 inches long), slice zucchini into thin discs (approx. 1/4 inch) set aside.
Take 1/2 onion slice into thin rings about the same slice width as the zucchini.
Use 1 to 1 1/2 garlic cloves (I really like garlic so I tend to go a little heavy but you may want to use half the garlic I suggest) mince finely and crush into a paste.
Herbs: Marjoram, basil, oregano (I don't usually measure my herbs when making veggies and add them liberally because I don't use very much salt or pepper in my veggies you could sprinkle just enough to lightly cover the veggies when seasoning - approx 1/4 tsp of each)

Begin:

Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in a fry pan over medium heat (not too high).

Add garlic and onion, saute over medium high heat in the oil until they turn a little translucent, then add the squash, it takes about 7 to 10 minutes until you may notice the skins on the squash turn a brighter hue of color. Sprinkle your herbs over the veggies and continue to saute 5 more minutes over medium heat. The veggies should release a little moisture, don't allow your pan to go dry, if it's on the dry side turn your heat down by 40%. In total cook the veggies with the garlic, onion and herbs for about 15 minutes over a medium heat.

Turn the heat on very low, cover your veggies with a lid and allow it to steam cook for about 7 to 10 minutes. They're ready as soon as the veggies go limp like a soggy pickle but not mushy.

Salt and pepper to taste.

I do something similar with cauliflower but use a metal steamer basket, add cauliflower to the basket, sprinkle it with the Morton's seasoning (image linked below) and steam it over water.

Spoiler

Last edited by LuckyGem; 06-29-2012 at 01:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 01:17 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,752,114 times
I strongly recommend a $5 paperback called The Acid-Alkaline Food Guide, by Brown and Trivieri. It lists every fruit, vegetable and other food you can think of (except parnsips, blast them) according to how much acid it produces in your system. A lot of things you might assume are acidic are really not, and a lot of things traditionally recommended to settle an acid stomach, like dairy products, create the most acid of all. It has helped me soooooooo much!

The short answer to your question is to eat as many fresh, raw veggies as possible, wrapped in lettuce instead of bread, which is an acid-producing food. The more green leafies you are getting, the more your acid stomach will subside, but NOT if you drown them in cheese and weird sauces and stuff. Fruit, for the most part, alkalyzes your system rather than making it more acidic, but start with the blander ones -- apples rather than pineapple.

Examples:

broccoli
cauliflower
spinach
lettuce
beets (roots and greens)
collards
sprouts of your choice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food