Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 03:54 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,337,159 times

Advertisements

I've decided to try some and bought some yesterday but don't know what to do with it.
I thought that googling something about it would be easy but most say to put it in stirfry or smoothies.

Isn't it something that can be eaten like cheese or does it need to be cooked with food?
Does anyone know of something tasty to do with it? I don't want it in a smoothie and I like veggies mostly alone.
Any recipes will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 06:53 PM

239 posts, read 710,967 times
I like to slice mine and sprinkle with seasonings and bake, good in sandwiches. Just remember that it will taste like anything you add to it.
My daughter likes to chop it and add to salads for a good protein.

Here is a link for delish.com with tofu recipes:
Search Results - Delish.com

Old 01-06-2010, 08:27 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,337,159 times
Sounds great. Thanks for the link also.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:51 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,111,453 times
I looked online (briefly) for a good tofu primer and found this:

Tofu on soyfoods.com

The most important thing to figure out is "what type of tofu did I buy?"

You'll notice that there are three basic "types" sold in most American grocery stores and they have different uses: silken (smooth and creamy--good in smoothies), soft (good for scrambling with or in place of eggs for instance) or firm, which can be used like meat.

When using "firm" tofu in place of "meat" I personally look for "Extra Firm" and then I freeze it. Freezing tofu gives it a nice chewy texture. I also drain it thoroughly by pressing between two plates weighted with a heavy (cook)book.

I then stir-fry, or bake, or add to noodle dishes to my hearts content!

Old 01-08-2010, 09:03 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,748,965 times
My favorite tofu is nigari which is solid, not in water. It fries up extra crisp. The brand is Soy Deli.

I also like Mori-Nu boxed tofu to keep in our cabin unrefrigerated. If you combine in the blender Mori-Nu tofu chocolate pudding mix with Mori-Nu tofu it makes the best tofu chocolate mousse pudding!

Actually, draining a block of water-packed tofu, putting a heavy pan on it to press out water (like a cast iron pan), cutting it into slices & then frying in oil is one of the easiest first-try methods with tofu.

Old 01-09-2010, 11:19 AM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,367,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
I've decided to try some and bought some yesterday but don't know what to do with it.
I thought that googling something about it would be easy but most say to put it in stirfry or smoothies.

Isn't it something that can be eaten like cheese or does it need to be cooked with food?
Does anyone know of something tasty to do with it? I don't want it in a smoothie and I like veggies mostly alone.
Any recipes will be appreciated.
Yes you can eat it like cheese, although most people don't like it plain like this. If you search under "cold tofu" in google images you can see it is served as a sliced block with sauce and garnish over it. I eat it this way once in a while with noodles.

However, I think pre-baked tofu (which is browned on the outside and generally pre-seasoned, not in water) is the easiest if you are new to it. Especially for stir-frys it's easy to use, just cut into blocks and mix with the stir-fry. For the already baked kind, you can just cut into pieces and steam or sautee it straight.

If you are using plain "white block" tofu, it's easier to use the firmer kind, and usually I cook just the tofu pieces and sauce and spices first to lightly brown them, then add the other ingredients of the stir fry. This lets the sauce/spices flavor the tofu. You can cook tofu as long as you want, as long as you don't burn it. If you don't want to mix it with veggies, I sometimes just cook it with mushrooms and keep it on high until it browns a little. Just keep it in a lot of sauce while cooking on high to prevent burning/sticking.

Old 01-12-2010, 05:28 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,682,335 times
Oh I did something fun with tofu the other day!

1/2 pound of tofu, drained and squeezed
1/3 yellow onion
2 garlic cloves
chopped fresh spinach
a bit of soy milk
bit of olive oil
spices....salt, pepper, basil etc.

I put all of the above in a blender and then mixed it in with al dente whole wheat rigatoni, sliced zucchini and red sauce.

Baked it in the oven.

Yum.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:30 PM

375 posts, read 912,319 times
I use my George Foreman grill (great for veggies), add some smoke flavoring and maybe some soy sauce, then eat it over veggies or a grain like couscous. Polenta also ROCKS when you make it like that, and then I top it off w/a SW corn mixture.

I have seen some awesome salad recipes for grilled tofu as well.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:00 PM

1,353 posts, read 2,429,868 times
I just made chocolate-hazelnut mousse. It's made with tofu, cocoa, agave nectar, hazelnut oil, and a dash of sea salt. I've made the same thing and baked it in a crust for a delicious chocolate cream pie.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:39 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,700,000 times
We saute tofu and use it in pad thai and other stir fries. We usually use the firm tofu because it gets nice and brown and chewy on the outside. Yum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food