Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2010, 07:40 PM

1,467 posts, read 5,127,858 times

Advertisements

I saw a great deal on huge jars of capers; so I couldn't resist buying a jar. Anyone have a great vegan recipe that really highlights the flavor of the capers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 11:44 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,913,045 times
I don't know about highlight, but I have one that uses them. It is a genuine-me, so there are no measurements. Here it goes:

You need a can or two of diced tomatoes (or real ones if they are in season), some kalamata olives, capers, an onion and some cloves of garlic, and feta cheese. Oh, and some quinoa or cavatappi pasta already cooked.

Chop the onion and saute until translucent; add in minced garlic. Cook about one minute then add tomatoes, halved olives, and capers. Simmer until sauce is a consinstancy you like. Remove from heat and crumble in some feta, stirring it until it melts--you will get a nice rosy color. Serve over grain or pasta, topped with a little more feta.

I hope I remembered everything. Oh no! Spinach. Add some spinach (chopped) to it...somewhere close to the end of the simmering time (before the feta). Actually, I've made both with and without the spinach and it is tasty either way.

It is very yummy and pretty quick and can be very salty because of the feta and capers. So you could definitely play with this to let the capers shine a little more, maybe getting rid of the olives all together.

Old 02-01-2010, 11:49 PM

Oops--just saw that you requested vegan. Well, I think it would still be fabulous without the feta and would solve any over-saltiness. If you wanted to keep it creamy, I think you could take a 1/4 cup of the sauce and puree that with 1/8 to 1/4 cup silken tofu and then add it back into the main sauce.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:33 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,669,719 times
i put capers in my chickpea salad sometimes. it's basically like tuna salad with chickpeas - veganaise, mustard, whatever vegetables you want, salt & pepper. eat it on bread or crackers or whatever.

i also really like this fennel, asparagus & beet salad that uses capers:

3 medium beets with greens (1 lb)
5 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 garlic cloves, peeled
2 tsp capers, rinsed
6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 cup fresh basil leaves, packed
salt & pepper
1/2 lb asparagus
1/2 medium head of fennel

separate the beets from the greens, put in a medium saucepan & add water to cover, bring to a boil, lower to a simmer and simmer for 45 minutes or until tender.

in the meantime, put the vinegar, garlic, capers, oil and basil into a blender and blend until smooth. season with salt & pepper to taste.

when the beets are done, put them in cold water til they can be handled and take off the skins. cut the beets in half and cut each half into 1/2 inch wedges. put in a bowl and toss with 1/3 of the dressing.

snap off the ends of the asparagus and slice the asparagus on the diagonal into 2 inch pieces. blanch for 3 to 5 minutes in boiling salted water, until they are cooked but still crisp. drain and drop in cold water to stop the cooking. transfer to a medium bowl.

with a paring knife, cut out the fennel's hard core. slice the bulb lengthwise, very thinly, and add to the asparagus. pour the rest of the dressing over and mix thoroughly.

cut off & discard any hard stems on the beet greens & cut into bite size pieces. wash thorougly, then put the greens in a skillet and toss gently over medium heat. the water from washing is enough to cook them. remove when they are lightly wilted - about 3 minutes.

to serve, put some beet greens on a plate, then the fennel-asparagus mix, then the beets.

if you're concerned about looks, keep the beets separate from the fennel & asparagus until you serve so everything doesn't end up pink.

Old 02-02-2010, 04:21 PM

I bet you could make a very good sandwich spread with them. I think that salty taste would go great with some sliced, roasted vegetables on a hearty, crusty bread. Like eggplant and summer squash with some barely-heated tomato slices.

Old 02-02-2010, 04:42 PM

I'm taking notes. These ideas sound delicious!

Old 02-03-2010, 09:21 AM

2,857 posts, read 6,723,418 times
You could make a tapenade, but leave out the anchovies.

Old 02-03-2010, 05:07 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,110,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJingle View Post
I saw a great deal on huge jars of capers; so I couldn't resist buying a jar. Anyone have a great vegan recipe that really highlights the flavor of the capers?
Don't hold out on us! Where did you find these beauties? At a national chain? Or a small local store?

Love capers. Love the idea for a tapenade.

I toss them into tomato sauce. They also work with simple olive oil, garlic, and lemon sauces. You can never have too much brine-y goodness. Yum.

Old 02-07-2010, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
Don't hold out on us! Where did you find these beauties? At a national chain? Or a small local store?

Love capers. Love the idea for a tapenade.

I toss them into tomato sauce. They also work with simple olive oil, garlic, and lemon sauces. You can never have too much brine-y goodness. Yum.
Costco

I've been very pleased to see almond butter, agave nectar, and frozen organic veggies there lately too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food