Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 01:04 AM

702 posts, read 2,297,634 times

Advertisements

I do, and I feel groups like that give all non-meat eaters a bad rap. I don't know how many times I've gotten "PETA" comments once someone hears I'm vegan, as if I'm out protesting fur coats and forming a riot at the local Burger King every weekend. To be quite honest, my eating choices are my business and it doesn't automatically attach me to some club or group. I prefer to call myself a private activist by quietly living my life as I see fit - what the majority of the rest of the population does is really not in my control, not do I care. Humans are naturally omnivorous - I don't dispute that and I realize the nutritional value of meat (in small portions - I'm not talking about the drug-injected, tortured slabs of flesh sold to the masses who eat it at every meal.) It's just not for me, nor have I ever brought it up with anyone.

I feel that many of PETA's (and similar groups) campaigns are so over the top that it only pisses people off (including myself). Many of their advertisements are just stupid and I can see why people make fun of them.

A couple of years ago I frequently witnessed PETA's "animal rights activists" demonstrating in front of a fur coat shop in Portland, OR. While their incessant ruckus did eventually cause the shop to close (or maybe not too many women are interested in paying $900 for a coat anymore), I once watched the group of 30 or so protestors and over 20 of them were wearing leather shoes - and directly across the street was a shoe store selling primarily leather shoes (no protests there). While I realize there's not a huge market for mink or fox meat, it's still pretty hypocritical.

I gave up on wearing vegan shoes because I find it more environmentally sound to buy leather shoes that last for several years rather than toss ripped and broken cloth/hemp/rubber shoes in the trash every 6 months.

Some random comments I've gotten over the years, out of the blue:

"You know, when dinosaurs started eating meat their brains got bigger." ("You're probably right," I answered.)

"I hate you." (said when someone asked how I stay thin and I answered that I don't eat animal products)

"Yeah, eat some meat, hippie!" (said "jokingly" by my boss when I asked for feedback on a technical project we were working on - nothing at all to do with diet or eating)

"Uh oh, the PETA brigade is here!" (said by a coworker, having heard I'm vegetarian and meeting me for the first time)

"Do you want some sushi I made? It's not meat, you can eat it." (the person was actually referring to sashimi)

And many more. Yawn.

Now, with the breaking news that "eating vegetables shrinks your brain" I'm getting all kinds of BS. I'm fully aware of the importance of B-12 and that there are non-animal sources of obtaining it. Instead the media is distorting it into "vegetarians are retarded". I beg to differ.

I guess I just want to pass the word out that not all vegetarians/vegans are stinking hippies who live in a fairy land and smoke dope all day. I've been vege/vegan most of my adult life and have never smoked dope. I don't walk around in parades with signs of mutiliated animals. And I certainly don't go around trying to tell people what to eat. I don't care - it's your body. Just leave me out of the stereotype.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 01:21 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,740,173 times
I just moved back to the US from a very cold country. I have fur hats, mittens, mufflers, and boots. Love them them all.

If those rockheads at PETA ever spent much time north of LA they would understand that fur is the best insulation against cold and snow and wind. I'll wear my mink hat and mittens with pride and they can kiss my grits. Ummm warm, toasty, dry hands and feet.

Stop telling me what I can and can't do, where I can't do it, what I can't wear, where I can't smoke, and what I shouldn't eat. I can't hear you.....

Old 09-16-2008, 01:51 AM

4,627 posts, read 10,482,399 times
What a great post, fnord! (And I found it very amusing and well written.)

Who knows what Peta's agenda is, and I dislike being lumped in with those folks, in any way, shape or form. But that is an easy thing for people to do...stereotype others who simply disagree with them. (As witness the post just after your's).

I love the silly @@@ comments you got there...there are ignorant people on all sides of the issue, aren't there?

As far as the "eating vegetables shrink your brain" issue, you've got to be kidding. Since when do vegetarians eat only vegetables? Wonder who paid for that "study." Just more silliness...

And yes, I completely agree with you on any extremists, whether they want to cause a ruckus on a forum, "riot at Burger King" or getting their "jollies" engaging in a continual insult fest.

I live in Portland, and I am aware of the protests at that fur shop. Some of the the protesters were "professionals", and paid to wave around signs. Maybe next month they'll be protesting for something else, in another state.

You described yourself as a "private activist" which I think is a splendid way to put it. I, too, have no plans to riot at Burger King.

Last edited by Wicked Felina; 09-16-2008 at 01:54 AM.. Reason: edit

Old 09-16-2008, 02:56 AM

1,949 posts, read 3,867,481 times
Great topic SeeBee!

I think PETA often hurts the cause by their in-your-face tactics and over-the-top methods. All it does is cause a disproportionate backlash against anyone remotely associated with their cause - for example those who don't eat dead animals.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:23 AM

4,610 posts, read 11,108,687 times
I support PETA. Just like anything, there are always going to be a few bad apples. But for the most part they have really helped and improved the lives of animals. They make us aware of the what is going on.

Old 09-16-2008, 11:40 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,923,083 times
I don't like PETA, either. Vegetarians does not equal PETA! Growing up in farming and hunting land, I heard of some idiotic protests made by people from PETA. Some of their causes are just, but because they are over the top, people don't take them seriously. It is kind of like the extreme pro-life people, standing on the street corner, waving huge photos of dead babies and severely harassing people trying to go into Planned Parenthood. Actions like these don't serve your purpose. They only push people away from your message. I think is exactly what has happened with PETA. I mean, harassing 4-H kids because of their heifer or pig they take to the fair? Come on!

There are more sane ways to protect the welfare of animals.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:22 AM

1,949 posts, read 3,867,481 times
But I am kinda partial to India's branch of PETA....

Going Red Hot for PETA!

http://www.indiaprwire.com/downloads/2008092313386-1.pdf (broken link)

Old 09-23-2008, 10:36 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,465,541 times
We need PETA. They've uncovered a lot of horrible stuff and help improved the lives of many animals. Let's look at the positive and be thankful.

Old 09-23-2008, 02:16 PM

1,815 posts, read 5,405,441 times
Great Post fnord! Rep points for you! You made me laugh at some of the things people say. I get that a lot of that sort of thing too.

I think a lot of time PETA goes too far and they are on the boarderline of being a terrorist group. I do not support them. There are a lot of better organizations that are more deserving of my charitable dollars and volunteer time.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:23 PM

873 posts, read 1,590,233 times
PETA reminds me of the anti-abortionists who burn clinics and shoot patients and doctors. They are extreme to the point of being dangerous.

The Humane Society of the United States is far more even-tempered.

PETA gives those of us who are for the animals, a bad name. They defeat the very purpose we try to obtain; rights for animals.

PETA is a hindrance not a help.

I love animals and will always stick up for the animals. I abhor cruelty of any kind. That does not make me a PETA member, but I am often accused of it. But then, voting an independent ticket usually makes me a tree hugging liberal too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food