U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2010, 07:57 PM

6,599 posts, read 11,749,661 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have experience with the book Healing With Whole Foods by Paul Pitchford?

I just attended an intro to whole grains workshop at my local health food market and they read passages from the book and recommended it highly.

It sure sounded interesting. Anyone have and use it?

By the way, learning more about how to cook with bulgar, amaranth, quinoa and millet was fascinating...there were dishes made from each grain/seed and all were delicious...I'm excited to expand my horizons with new grains and vegetables...

I'm ready to get grow beyond the brown rice and lentils that I use so often.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 06:17 PM

Folks from another forum I'm involved with have highly recommended this book, so I ordered a used copy. Sounds as though it's one of those books to keep on hand for reference and consulting over the years...I'll report back if you'd like.

Anyone interested?

Old 04-04-2010, 06:57 PM

1,461 posts, read 4,948,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Folks from another forum I'm involved with have highly recommended this book, so I ordered a used copy. Sounds as though it's one of those books to keep on hand for reference and consulting over the years...I'll report back if you'd like.

Anyone interested?
I would love to read your review when you're finished!

Old 05-10-2010, 01:34 PM

Well, I got the book and it's thick and full of interesting content. The recipes weren't too interesting to my particular dietary hot spots, and much of the information I was already familiar with.

I think this could be a good book as an introduction to Eastern philosophy of diet and nutrition, but for old hands who have been following the vegetarian/whole food path for a while, it's not revolutionary.

My favorite section dealt with grains such as quinoa and amaranth. The info was fascinating to read and the nutritional profile of some of these ancient grains is truly dazzling.

I would recommend this book to be purchased used as I did, and as a good all-around reference book for alternative/holistic eating. It's an interesting book, all in all, and I will be browsing its many pages from time to time, I'm sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food