Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 03:36 PM

1,034 posts, read 4,392,518 times

Advertisements

If he likes spinach, made a spinach pesto to top pastas. It would even be yummy to do a spinach pesto lasagna. Here is what I do for the sauce (it is a Weight Watchers recipe):
Blend in a food processor or blender:
16 ounces spinach -- fresh baby
6 ounces tofu, firm – silken (or use cottage cheese)
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon garlic -- minced
2 tablespoons nonfat chicken broth -- reduced sodium (or veggie broth)
1/4 cup nonfat parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper1 teaspoon dried italian seasoning
(I added a small handful of almonds to blender for extra protein)

Last edited by redjan1225; 05-21-2010 at 03:37 PM.. Reason: Spaced out recipe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 01:00 AM

1,495 posts, read 5,046,095 times
DOn't know if you have a Vita-Mix, but that is a great machine and you can make tons of recipes that include hiding vegetables in desserts, sauces, juices, etc. Love that machine.
That could be a good way for him to get raw veggies in his diet

I even made a sorbet with cabbage in it and you wouldn't even know the difference

Old 05-23-2010, 01:46 PM

51 posts, read 122,384 times
I also completely forgot. Since I started on a journey to absolute physical fitness about three months ago, I have replaced at least one of my three daily meals with a freshly squeezed juice.

The gold standard is carrots, with an occasional orange, a few celery stocks or an apple. But I do throw in cukes at times to.

Don't forget the wonderful world of risottos too!!

All the best, and do let us know about your experiments!

Old 05-23-2010, 01:52 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,815,650 times
I agree with blondes. Most vegetables are fantastic on a creamy risotto. Leeks are ridiculously delicious.

And when you buy a juicer, you find out it is one of your best friends.

I have a nice recipe for a carrot cake. And a great one for zucchini cake too. One cannot tell there are veggies there.

Send me a msg if you want me to share them.

Old 05-23-2010, 01:55 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,833,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
I agree with blondes. Most vegetables are fantastic on a creamy risotto. Leeks are ridiculously delicious.

And when you buy a juicer, you find out it is one of your best friends.

I have a nice recipe for a carrot cake. And a great one for zucchini cake too. One cannot tell there are veggies there.

Send me a msg if you want me to share them.
You could also post them in the Recipe thread stickied at the top of the forum!

Old 05-23-2010, 02:20 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
If your husband is into cheese and you have no problem with serving it, my #1 recommendation for reminding him that there is variety in vegetarian food, is pizza.

There are SO many variations you can play with on pizza, he could easily have one a day for a month and find something new on day 30 that he hadn't thought of on day 29.

Remember also that the pizza doesn't have to have mozarella. Some ideas for variations:

1. Sauteed spinach in olive oil and garlic, with brocolli tops and dotted with feta, over marinara.

2. The original: thin crust with thin-sliced tomatoes, olive oil, a pinch of basil (or oregano), sprinkled with fresh-grated parm or romano.

3. zucchini and squash, diced into morsels, olive oil, minced tomatoes, and a splash of lemon juice.

4. basically anything you think you could broil on a piece of french bread, you can turn into a pizza.

You could ask him for ideas, or even better, have him help you make it.

Also, never underestimate the comfort food known as Peanutbutter and Jelly. You can buy organic peanutbutter in supermarkets now, and my preference is strawberry preserves instead of jelly, on wheat bread. If gluten's a problem, you can stuff a couple of celery stalks with the peanutbutter and slice some strawberries on the side (with other berries for a nice berry salad).

Old 05-24-2010, 12:04 AM

89 posts, read 201,792 times
I've overcome a lot of my food hates by slowly introducing the food into my diet. For example, I used to hate pickles but I really wanted to like pickles.. So, I would take the teeniest mouse bite possible, and cringe and gag and then keep going until I couldn't stand it anymore (I started with baby pickles). It's years later now and I often crave pickles, LOVE them!
Maybe tell him there is no pressure to like the vegetable but to try at least 3 bites of the vegetable each time you make it. It worked for me with carrots, cilantro, onions, olives, asparagus and spinach. Still working on the beets..... :]

Old 05-24-2010, 12:30 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,196,333 times
I honestly don't know what to say other than find out what he is maybe willing to try. There are tons of different recipes for foods that have vegetables as replacement for meat or never had meat in it.

I disagree with the "Hide the veggies" thing, too. My mom has that stupid book and tried putting zucchini in chocolate chip cookies and cake- It pissed me off to no end that she ruined something like that by slipping in a foreign ingredient (and yes, I can detect a taste/texture difference)..

If you hide the veggies and don't tell him, it may make him angry.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:41 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccr4tigers View Post
I have been a vegetarian for about a year now. My husband is not one. He has actually said numerous times that he would become one if he didn't hate vegetables so much. He really does hate them. He lives off of meat, rice or potatoes, and spinach salad (the only veg he will eat). I honestly believe he would become a vegetarian, or at least eat some vegetarian meals with me, if I could find a way for him to like veggies. I mean, he has sworn off veal because of how it is raised, lamb because they are cute, lobster because they are boiled alive, etc, etc. He really has all the vegetarian potential in the world, haha

But, the fact that he honest to goodness hates vegetables is a problem. He can't live off of rice (well, he could, but that is not all that healthy). So, I would love any suggestions that you may have. Any of you ever had a veggie hatin' kid? Do you know sneaky ways to vege-tize someone?

Thanks!
Tomatoes?

I don't happen to like potatoes, but I will eat them. As far as other vegetables go, I'm not really big on eating corn, peas, beans, etc. I don't seek them out--but I don't know, get a little creative. Soups contain vegetables. You can use creamed corn in a batter to...hmm. You may have some problems if you don't eat meat, and he likes eating meat. Just saying.

[I was going to say a batter for deep frying--but what?]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food