Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 02:08 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,078,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
Of all the areas I have visited in CA, Ventura County and Oxnard City is where I want to call home...hopefully sooner than later. I just really liked Ventura, felt right. I think what sets it apart, among many things, are the people. Compared to LA it seems the residents of Ventura are a little more down to earth and easier to talk to.
This describes my first attraction to the area also. For me it's just the right mix of down-to-earth, rough-around-the-edges in a beautiful coastal setting without a big name hype to live up to (i.e. Malibu, Santa Barbara). My first impression was something like, "ahhh, here's a place where I can relax, settle in and let my hair down."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 12:13 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,087,251 times
I think looking at counties is fairly meaningless, they are arbitrary divisions of land. Do things change the minute you across the VC/LA county border on the 101? Nope. Furthermore, Ventura County is not particularly homogeneous, there are 3-4 distinct areas all with different characters. So in this sense nothing sets Ventura County apart, its not a meaningful regional division to begin with.

For example, the Conejo Valley, which of course is in both LA and Ventura county, doesn't have much in common with other areas of Ventura County.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:40 AM

2,852 posts, read 6,485,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Do things change the minute you across the VC/LA county border on the 101?
Yes, actually for many things do change the minute they cross that line. Leaving the stress and grime of LA behind is a wonderful feeling.

Again, you are just trying to stir up contention because you do not like Ventura County.

The topic is..."What sets Ventura County Apart?" Every place has somethng distinct which sets it apart from other places.

If you can't come up with an answer which fits within the scope of the topic I suggest you not post in it at all and maybe consider making a new topic called something like..."Why Ventura County Isn't Set Apart from Other Counties."

Old 11-08-2010, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
Yes, actually for many things do change the minute they cross that line. Leaving the stress and grime of LA behind is a wonderful feeling.
Really? Okay, tell me want changes between Lindero Cyn and Westlake Blvd, which of course is the border of Ventura/LA county. What sort of stress and grime exist in Westlake Village and Agoura Hills that does not exist in Thousand Oaks?

Quote:
Again, you are just trying to stir up contention because you do not like Ventura County.
I've never stated that I dislike Ventura County, rather I stated that the county is not a uniform region so talking about what sets it apart doesn't make much sense, it would make much more sense to talk about individual cities/areas within Ventura County. This is an answer to your question, just not one you want to hear.

Anyhow, you tend to conflate "Simi Valley" with "Ventura County", but the rest of Ventura County is not like Simi Valley. I find Simi Valley crass, yet I like the Conejo Valley and Ventura.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Really? Okay, tell me want changes between Lindero Cyn and Westlake Blvd, which of course is the border of Ventura/LA county. What sort of stress and grime exist in Westlake Village and Agoura Hills that does not exist in Thousand Oaks?
Actually, only the eastern edge of Westlake Village is in LA County. The rest is in Ventura. Agoura Hills straddles the county line, with some portions in Ventura County.

Quote:
I've never stated that I dislike Ventura County, rather I stated that the county is not a uniform region so talking about what sets it apart doesn't make much sense, it would make much more sense to talk about individual cities/areas within Ventura County. This is an answer to your question, just not one you want to hear.
Because there is much about Ventura County which does indeed set it apart from LA and other counties, such as life-style, more open and green space, a slower pace, etc...

Quote:
Anyhow, you tend to conflate "Simi Valley" with "Ventura County", but the rest of Ventura County is not like Simi Valley. I find Simi Valley crass, yet I like the Conejo Valley and Ventura.
You might find Simi Valley to be rude, coarse, insensitive, or lacking in discrimination and sensibility (crass defined), but I personally find this definition is more in keeping with most of Los Angeles and Orange Counties.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:56 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Actually, only the eastern edge of Westlake Village is in LA County. The rest is in Ventura. Agoura Hills straddles the county line, with some portions in Ventura County.
All of Westlake Village is in LA County.
None of Agoura Hills is in Ventura County.

Old 11-08-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Westlake Village, the city, is 100% in LA county. Agoura Hills is 100% in LA county as well. The eastern part of TO is often also called Westlake village, but of course its actually TO.

But you aren't answering the question, what changes when you cross into LA county on the 101 (again between lindero Cyn and westlake blvd).

Quote:
Because there is much about Ventura County which does indeed set it apart from LA and other counties, such as life-style, more open and green space, a slower pace, etc...
You can find green-space, etc etc in LA county as well. As I've been saying, things don't magically change the minute you cross county borders, these are artificial, man-made borders.

Quote:
but I personally find this definition is more in keeping with most of Los Angeles and Orange Counties.
And I find speaking about entire counties silly and rather meaningless, LA and Orange county, like Ventura county have numerous areas all of which are different. Some areas of LA county are bad, some are very nice. Some areas of Orange county are great, some aren't so great.

Old 11-08-2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:

And I find speaking about entire counties silly and rather meaningless, LA and Orange county, like Ventura county have numerous areas all of which are different. Some areas of LA county are bad, some are very nice. Some areas of Orange county are great, some aren't so great.
Then don't discuss it and go to another thread. Obviously some of us do enjoy discussing it and do not find it meaningless or silly. But thank you for your judgement of those who are enjoying this discussion. I guess if you can tolerate us silly people with our meaningless conversations we can tolerate the gum-bumpings of a pompous, argumentative ass like yourself every now and then.

Charles, from what I have been reading Agoura Hills does straddle the county line, and portions of Westlake Village are in Ventura County. Apparently there is still confusion around the whole thing. Kind of like people here in Simi saying that Santa Susana is a seperate place, while others say it is a part of Simi Valley

Old 11-08-2010, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Charles, from what I have been reading Agoura Hills does straddle the county line, and portions of Westlake Village are in Ventura County.
The border of Agoura Hills only touches the VC border on the North-east part of the city that is connected to Oak Park.

Anyhow, the confusion about Westlake Village is due to its history, the area originally developed in unincorporated areas of LA and Ventura county. Thousand Oaks annexed the Ventura county part and roughly during the same period the LA part was incorporated into the city of Westlake Village.

Anyhow, as I've been saying, the county lines are completely irrelevant, you weren't even aware of their exact location, to you its all about Simi Valley vs the San Fernando Valley, yet neither of these are representative of their respective counties.

Old 11-08-2010, 03:20 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,078,525 times
Quote:
Anyhow, as I've been saying, the county lines are completely irrelevant....
Next time I have a concern in Ventura County, I'll be sure to contact Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County