Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 08:00 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,083,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
So there is a difference.
In the areas as a whole there are some small differences, largely the result differences in demographics. My claim is not that there are absolutely no differences, just that in terms of community the areas are pretty similar. This assertion was in response to the other poster who suggested that things dramatically change when you get into Ventura County.

Anyhow communities develop organically, government policy is extremely efficient at shaping communities. Both the LA County and Ventura County side of the Conejo Valley are similar, not because of county or city policy, but rather how this area developed historically.

Quote:
To me Ox/Ven are nothing like LA. Who's to say if your observation holds more water than mine? No one.
I didn't say they were "like LA", rather I said they were more like LA than the Conejo Valley.

Quote:
I own both a business and two properties. I'm affected by both the city and the county.
There are things that are dealt with at the county and city level, but most things are dedicated by the state government so there is little change from county to county. The only area where there is a noticeably difference is the area that you keep mentioning, namely zoning and planning, but these issues are primarily only relevant to someone developing commercial property, the vast majority of businesses are just going to rent existing structures in a way that is consistent with their current zoning.

For me, which city to setup business was largely irrelevant, I was instead looking for the right place. I had a small bias against LA city because it has the highest business taxes.

Quote:
Moreover, it may not matter to you, but to me it matters to which county I pay my taxes.
No it doesn't matter to me, the counties are just collecting the money, it doesn't go directly into their coffers.

But this is just the issue, in California the counties don't have a lot of power. Power is very centralized in the state government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 08:13 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,077,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
In the areas as a whole there are some small differences, largely the result differences in demographics. My claim is not that there are absolutely no differences, just that in terms of community the areas are pretty similar. This assertion was in response to the other poster who suggested that things dramatically change when you get into Ventura County.

Anyhow communities develop organically, government policy is extremely efficient at shaping communities. Both the LA County and Ventura County side of the Conejo Valley are similar, not because of county or city policy, but rather how this area developed historically.

I didn't say they were "like LA", rather I said they were more like LA than the Conejo Valley.

There are things that are dealt with at the county and city level, but most things are dedicated by the state government so there is little change from county to county. The only area where there is a noticeably difference is the area that you keep mentioning, namely zoning and planning, but these issues are primarily only relevant to someone developing commercial property, the vast majority of businesses are just going to rent existing structures in a way that is consistent with their current zoning.

For me, which city to setup business was largely irrelevant, I was instead looking for the right place. I had a small bias against LA city because it has the highest business taxes.

No it doesn't matter to me, the counties are just collecting the money, it doesn't go directly into their coffers.

But this is just the issue, in California the counties don't have a lot of power. Power is very centralized in the state government.
Don't agree with most of this. It could be argued that Ox/Ven are more like Santa Barbara than the Conejo Valley, too. Arguing the point on that level is annoying and doesn't say much other than that subjectively speaking, the differences are open to each persons interpretation. Big deal.

I don't agree that counties have little control vis-a-vis the State government. Yes, counties are agents of the State, but the whole point of the counties is to provide local control and decision-making where state funding/jurisdiction is at play. If the counties are irrelevant, why do we elect county supervisors?

Old 11-10-2010, 08:39 PM

Quote:
It could be argued that Ox/Ven are more like Santa Barbara than the Conejo Valley, too.
I think they are more like Santa Barbara, but I also think Santa Barbara is more like LA than the Conejo Valley

Quote:
Arguing the point on that level is annoying and doesn't say much other than that subjectively speaking
Except of course that I gave some concrete reasons for my assertion.

Quote:
If the counties are irrelevant, why do we elect county supervisors?
Largely tradition, in the past power was not as centralized in the state government, that occurred over many decades, for example by the passing of prop 13.

Also, I didn't say counties have no power, rather I said they don't have much. Counties in California are not powerful enough to create dramatic differences, their hands are largely tied. Oxnard, Ventura, Moorpark, etc are what they are today, not because some county/city bureaucrats, but rather the areas history. The Conejo Valley demonstrates very clearly that its community develop and history that matter, the Conejo Valley is largely the same on both the LA and VC side.

But I know, some believe in the magically bureaucrat that is able to shape the world for the greater good.

Old 11-12-2010, 10:02 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,077,142 times
Quote:
I think they are more like Santa Barbara, but I also think Santa Barbara is more like LA than the Conejo Valley

Except of course that I gave some concrete reasons for my assertion.

Largely tradition, in the past power was not as centralized in the state government, that occurred over many decades, for example by the passing of prop 13.

Also, I didn't say counties have no power, rather I said they don't have much. Counties in California are not powerful enough to create dramatic differences, their hands are largely tied. Oxnard, Ventura, Moorpark, etc are what they are today, not because some county/city bureaucrats, but rather the areas history. The Conejo Valley demonstrates very clearly that its community develop and history that matter, the Conejo Valley is largely the same on both the LA and VC side.

But I know, some believe in the magically bureaucrat that is able to shape the world for the greater good.
Seems to me you have kind of a two-dimensional view of things. That's fine. You have a right to your perceptions, but it doesn't make your perceptions any more correct or incorrect than anyone else's. Anyway, I think the spirit of the OP in starting this thread was to get an interesting mix of views, and not for us dissect each other ad nauseum.

So in returning to the spirit of the OP (as I perceived it), one of the biggest things that sets VC apart for me and gives me encouragement to stick around for a while longer is S.O.A.R.

Old 11-12-2010, 04:52 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,484,018 times
Someon else who feels that Ventura County is significantly different than L.A. and Orange Counties...

http://www.vccf.org/civicalliance/ALC42C.pdf

Old 11-12-2010, 07:00 PM

Yes, clearly VCCF is a unbiased source on the matter.

Old 11-12-2010, 07:24 PM

1,465 posts, read 5,146,869 times
Quote:
Yes, clearly VCCF is a unbiased source on the matter.
Don't worry user_id, everyone here on the Ventura County forum prides your opinion over and above everybody else's.

Old 11-12-2010, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownVentura View Post
Don't worry user_id, everyone here on the Ventura County forum prides your opinion over and above everybody else's.
People should reply on reason not opinion, but I suppose its difficult for some.

Old 11-13-2010, 06:44 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,484,018 times
This is a really nice article, written by a Los Angeles transplant to Ventura County.

Welcome to the Ventura River and Ojai Valley Community: One Man's Retreat from the City to the Country

Old 11-14-2010, 12:47 PM

The article is much more about Ojai, then Ventura County in general. Ojai is a unique city, not like the others in Ventura County, and much of what he says doesn't apply to other cities in Ventura county.

The Conejo Valley, which of course is half Ventura County, is the LA areas Silicon Valley. There are numerous established and start-up tech companies here. Some major companies have their headquarters here as well.

No matter how hard you try, there is no way to paint a general picture of Ventura County. Despite its small size, its very diverse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County