Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 10:14 PM

2 posts, read 28,252 times

Advertisements

What is the safest way for my daughter to get from UCLA to Thousand Oaks using public transportation? I am very concerned. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2007, 11:26 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,610,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder hockey View Post
What is the safest way for my daughter to get from UCLA to Thousand Oaks using public transportation? I am very concerned. Thank you.
that sounds like a horrendous trip to make on public transportation, even if there's an express bus. for her sake, i hope this is a one-time trip, and not something she must do daily come september. if so, she might want to look at housing options closer to campus.

this might help you find bus/rail lines: metro.net | Transit Services and Information for Los Angeles County (click on "plan trip"), but i don't think it will do anything to ease your concerns about her safety.

good luck.

Old 07-11-2007, 11:31 PM

8,865 posts, read 11,647,834 times
I see those rideshare vans with the UCLA logo picking students up from their homes all the times. I would definitely check into those.

About UCLA Vanpools (broken link)

Old 07-12-2007, 12:26 AM

179 posts, read 918,852 times
**takes out the bat**
Bad idiot! no donuts for you!

Old 07-13-2007, 11:23 AM

10,408 posts, read 2,589,626 times
Default UCLA Vanpool

Another vote for the UCLA Van Pools. I live in Thousand Oaks, and a neighbor kid uses it daily and he likes it. I think its about $120 a month, which is not bad at all. People that work at UCLA, or nearby, or go to school down there take the van. He says he likes it because he can sleep on the way down.

Look into it.

Old 07-15-2007, 11:18 PM
MKW

40 posts, read 159,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMomma View Post
Another vote for the UCLA Van Pools. I live in Thousand Oaks, and a neighbor kid uses it daily and he likes it. I think its about $120 a month, which is not bad at all. People that work at UCLA, or nearby, or go to school down there take the van. He says he likes it because he can sleep on the way down.

Look into it.
Ok, I must comment on this topic. I commuted from Thousand Oaks to UCLA for 4 years. Public transportation is not really an option, neither safe nor reliable.

The very first quarter there I took the UCLA Van pool and hated it. The people in the pool were great, but there is no real convenience, atleast for me.

We left at 6:00 am or so and I had a 9:00 am class. Once we got there I would have to go sleep in Aukerman until it was time for class. Then my last class was at 1:00 or 2:00pm and the van didn't leave until 4:00 or 5:00 pm. Granted I could use that time to study in Powell Library, but it wasn't required everyday. Then you fought traffic all the way home. I suppose you could just schedule around it, but that doesn't always work because it is hard to get classes sometime on such a populated campus.

Sometimes you just want/need to leave early so then you could drive yourself or you are stuck if you took the van.

The upside is that you don't have to pay the outrageous parking pass prices (which doesn't even guarantee that you will find parking) if you Van pool in. If you are religious (I am LDS), you can take a class at the LDS Institute building on Hilgard, pay the $20 enrollment and park there at no additional charge. It's a block to campus.

Let me know if you need any other details. I am quite familiar with campus and the going's on. I graduated in 2004. Go Bruins!

Old 07-15-2007, 11:39 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,042,929 times
Default Trip Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder hockey View Post
Unfortunately with Thousand Oaks as one of the most car-based cities in all of Ventura County, public transportation in, out and around that place is deplorable at best. UCLA, on the other hand, offers vanpools to destinations far and wide, as others here have mentioned.

If a vanpool fails, perhaps a Metrolink ride from Moorpark to the San Fernando Valley with a bus ride to UCLA might work. Try the Trip Planner: socaltransport.org | Bus and Rail Trip Planner for Los Angeles and surrounding Counties.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:31 PM

2 posts, read 28,252 times
Thank you to everyone who took the time to reply. It was a one-time thing for an appointment
and thankfully, she canceled the appointment. Never again! We will give her a car for her Sr. year. : )

Old 04-05-2015, 03:01 PM

3 posts, read 6,149 times
Default bus

People who say no transit from To have never tried. UCLA I do every day 423 all stop from To transit, any street in Westlake, agoura or others is a high speed high quality ride. Two all stop go to encino park and ride. From there the 573 takes you non stop to Ucla. About 1 hour daily 10 , minutes and a nice ride. Ucla sell discounted tap cards for students and employess. They have free packets at the parking office to give it a whirl. If the two times for the sll stop dont work 530 or 700. Take the 161 to to parkway calabasas and all 423'$ from there go to encino.

your pass can take you to el segundo 574, pasadena 549, usc stay on the 423 or anyplace. Thousand Oks is fully connected. Coming home if you do not like the encino time point from the 573 just stay on it if early and get off at victory and orange line to 161. minus parking and using the car pool lanes it adds 10 minutes or so and lets you read. It save me 450 dollars a month
'? Many lawyers going to Century City on it. Also professors both Usc and Ucla.

Old 04-06-2015, 05:42 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,200,299 times
For a one time deal how about Uber? You ride in their car and they do the driving for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County