Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 12:16 PM

2,203 posts, read 5,082,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
what world do you live in? These people do not pay taxes. In fact many want to be paid in cash, even if they take checks how many do you think actually pay annthing to our government? The same with gardeners. A plumber is a little different, not to mention he/she is a skilled craftsmen compared to a housekeeper who is not. If you are paying someone to grocery shop or run errands for you and paying them $40 an hour you are being taken in..

Nita
Way to generalize.
I own my own cleaning service, and yes...I DO report my earnings every year. Not everyone is out to cheat the system and their customers.
If you are hiring housecleaners who are not skilled, then that's on you...you get what you pay for!
I would suggest you hire someone who is educated in what types of cleaners to use on surfaces...etc.
There are some things that can heavily damage your hardwood floors and granite countertops.
You should also make sure they are bonded and insured.
Not all housecleaners are as ignorant as you think....and I see you live in Arkansas....pshh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 04:26 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC~Mom View Post
Way to generalize.
I own my own cleaning service, and yes...I DO report my earnings every year. Not everyone is out to cheat the system and their customers.
If you are hiring housecleaners who are not skilled, then that's on you...you get what you pay for!
I would suggest you hire someone who is educated in what types of cleaners to use on surfaces...etc.
There are some things that can heavily damage your hardwood floors and granite countertops.
You should also make sure they are bonded and insured.
Not all housecleaners are as ignorant as you think....and I see you live in Arkansas....pshh.
yes and some do, but most do not. I have had cleaning gals, both my daughters do. And I have had a couple friends in the business. Most do not report them.

As for where I live, what do you know about me or about living in AR? I have lived thru out the state of Ca, Washington DC and Dallas. We choose to retire in a very upscale town in NWA because there were so many from Ca and other states living here, plus the beauty and the access to several golf courses and lakes. It is interesting someone from the Carolinas would make a comment about people living in AR.

Nita

ps: my husband has a small business, he to report his earnings to the government, but most in his business do not.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:59 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,328,356 times
My housekeeper takes my entire paycheck, makes me do the dishes, pick up after myself, and help her when needed. She even has me help out from time to time when she is not around. Apparently I don't pay her what she is worth and she had to go get a job. Then again I do get to sleep with her so having her around does have its advantages.

Old 12-20-2010, 02:31 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
My housekeeper takes my entire paycheck, makes me do the dishes, pick up after myself, and help her when needed. She even has me help out from time to time when she is not around. Apparently I don't pay her what she is worth and she had to go get a job. Then again I do get to sleep with her so having her around does have its advantages.
But does she cook for you as well?

Nita

Old 12-20-2010, 02:45 PM

2,203 posts, read 5,082,656 times
Quote:
yes and some do, but most do not. I have had cleaning gals, both my daughters do. And I have had a couple friends in the business. Most do not report them.

As for where I live, what do you know about me or about living in AR? I have lived thru out the state of Ca, Washington DC and Dallas. We choose to retire in a very upscale town in NWA because there were so many from Ca and other states living here, plus the beauty and the access to several golf courses and lakes. It is interesting someone from the Carolinas would make a comment about people living in AR.

Nita

ps: my husband has a small business, he to report his earnings to the government, but most in his business do not.

I'd like to see your data that support this idea that MOST cleaning services don't report their income....or is that just your opinion?
By reading your prior post, it seems that you think that mostly illegals are in the cleaning and landscaping business....hence my comment about Arkansas.

Old 12-20-2010, 03:16 PM

Quote:
But does she cook for you as well?

Nita
Nita, she cooks in the kitchen and in the bedroom. LOL.

Old 12-20-2010, 03:28 PM

As far as keeping cash off the books, I know of many companies that do that. I worked in a locksmith shop and I can tell you that the taxed portion of the business came from payment made by check or credit card. Cash was for the most part a side issue that probably went unreported. Then again a majority of our earnings were from large companies that paid with a check. I would say that 85% of the business income came from checks. Years ago I ran a window cleaning company and we had between 8 and 12 employees depending on how the weather and time of year. I would find it hard for the guys to skim from the company although I am sure it is possible. Most of the time what we would notice is someone doing a side job on our time or using our resources to do a job that was off the books. We didn't like that too much. Not sure how the smaller places work, but the larger housekeeping services I would bet take the money in and put it on the books. I would also guess that the small or independent housekeepers keep the money off the books. I know of one woman that cleans a home in Montecito. They pay her cash because she isn't really supposed to be working if you get what I mean. She makes a $100 a day at that home, then again it is in Montecito and is a very large place.

Old 12-20-2010, 04:19 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,074,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
As far as keeping cash off the books, I know of many companies that do that. I worked in a locksmith shop and I can tell you that the taxed portion of the business came from payment made by check or credit card. Cash was for the most part a side issue that probably went unreported. Then again a majority of our earnings were from large companies that paid with a check. I would say that 85% of the business income came from checks. Years ago I ran a window cleaning company and we had between 8 and 12 employees depending on how the weather and time of year. I would find it hard for the guys to skim from the company although I am sure it is possible. Most of the time what we would notice is someone doing a side job on our time or using our resources to do a job that was off the books. We didn't like that too much. Not sure how the smaller places work, but the larger housekeeping services I would bet take the money in and put it on the books. I would also guess that the small or independent housekeepers keep the money off the books. I know of one woman that cleans a home in Montecito. They pay her cash because she isn't really supposed to be working if you get what I mean. She makes a $100 a day at that home, then again it is in Montecito and is a very large place.
A cazillionaire in Montecito penny-pinching and hiring an undocumented person for house cleaning? Say it ain't so! I wonder if that cazillionaire graduated from billionaire class by cheating on taxes as well as by not hiring an American or legal resident alien instead of a "clandestino."

Old 06-21-2011, 11:53 AM

2 posts, read 5,451 times
Mr. Smith, I am very impressed with your message and your attitude. I agree with your sentiments that the previous writer was being incredibly rude and presumptuous. I will be providing housekeeping/personal assistant services to a few clients on weekends (occasionally on weekday eves) to earn some extra money. I was thinking about charging $20/hour for my services (likely with a four-hour minimum). If you see this message, please let me know if your opinion on pricing is current as of June 21 (today), 2011. Thanks again for your viewpoint - you are exactly the type of clientele I hope to acquire.
Kindest regards, Cynthia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
Hehe! I don't think so. And, yes, I have paid $40 for *two* people to drive their car to do postal errands, grocery shopping and take care of some light chores in my house. I paid the two of them for 3 hours: $120.00, and would do it again. For all parties concerned, it's been worth it. It takes a lot of pressure off of me, and is worth their time to do a good job for me. I don't do it every day, but sometimes my work gets so crazy busy that paying $100+ to take off some pressure is way worth it!

As to taxes. Again, the tax status of my contractors is *none of my business*! I think it's incredibly rude to make assumptions about that when negotiating a price. Maybe it doesn't bother you, but my conscience won't let me negotiate a price based on such assumptions. For me, "the golden rule" is fundamental -- I negotiate a price with my contractors based on exactly the the same considerations that goes into what I charge for my services. Besides, if my contractors -- who are all local -- do not pay taxes with the money, that might even be better as a good portion of it ends up right here in my local economy!

And speaking of that local economy, yes, the cost of living does matter in what I pay. I would not sleep well at night knowing that I paid someone peanuts so that they can go home to abject poverty a mile or two away from where I live. If you don't believe this is an increasing problem in Ventura County, please read from yesterday's VC Star: A mile away and a world apart.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:07 PM

1,549 posts, read 4,255,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckadlec View Post
Mr. Smith, I am very impressed with your message and your attitude. I agree with your sentiments that the previous writer was being incredibly rude and presumptuous. I will be providing housekeeping/personal assistant services to a few clients on weekends (occasionally on weekday eves) to earn some extra money. I was thinking about charging $20/hour for my services (likely with a four-hour minimum). If you see this message, please let me know if your opinion on pricing is current as of June 21 (today), 2011. Thanks again for your viewpoint - you are exactly the type of clientele I hope to acquire.
Kindest regards, Cynthia

$20/hr is fair in my opinion. I look at it another way...housekeeping...chores and stuff like that is something I really don't like doing anyway and I have paid for maid service before and it has always been worth it. To me, I look at it from a different angle....as a gift, one of my friends had a housekeeper come in and clean my condo and the housekeeper did such a good job that I wanted to use her services again..she made my house look better than it did when I moved in this place......shocking..but damn, she was great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County