Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 08:01 AM

1 posts, read 3,026 times

Advertisements

Hello, we are a military family being relocated to Los Angeles AFB. Is it possible to commute from Thousand Oaks or Westlake Village daily to El Segundo (LA AFB)? What would the realistic average commute time be? I've seen anywhere from 50 min. to 3 hours. The housing and schools here seem nicer than more southern areas like Rancho Palos Verdes. We are moving from DC suburb so my husband is used to 1 1/2 hour commute, but we were hoping to shorten that. Would it be worthwhile to commute to be in a more family friendly area or should we try to stay around Palos Verdes/Rolling Hills/Redondo Beach? Any help would be greatly appreciated .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 01:24 PM

699 posts, read 1,344,551 times
The commute from TO/WV to El Segundo would be pure hell. Major traffic going south on 101 across the valley, then again going over the Sepulveda Pass (101 & 405 has been rated the most congested in the US), then once more going through West LA on 405. He'd be traversing at least three notoriously bad traffic stretches, and 2+ hours each direction would be the norm.

The best schools near El Segundo would be in the South Bay - Palos Verdes, Redondo, Manhattan Beach, Torrance. All are very family friendly and your husband's commute would be about 20 minutes or less. Less costly but also family friendly with decent schools would be Long Beach - specifically areas around the University campus (avoid the north/west side). That would add time to the drive and represent a tier down in school quality, plus a safety tradeoff.

Old 02-10-2011, 02:02 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbylominac View Post
Hello, we are a military family being relocated to Los Angeles AFB. Is it possible to commute from Thousand Oaks or Westlake Village daily to El Segundo (LA AFB)? What would the realistic average commute time be? I've seen anywhere from 50 min. to 3 hours. The housing and schools here seem nicer than more southern areas like Rancho Palos Verdes. We are moving from DC suburb so my husband is used to 1 1/2 hour commute, but we were hoping to shorten that. Would it be worthwhile to commute to be in a more family friendly area or should we try to stay around Palos Verdes/Rolling Hills/Redondo Beach? Any help would be greatly appreciated .

I work a block away from LAAFB and there are a lot of people who do commute from the Conejo Valley (Thousand Oaks), Santa Clarita, and Orange County into El Segundo. I commute 52 miles one way from south Orange County on a vanpool. It really works out great but (big but), I catch the van at 510AM and work 6-330 and get home 430-445. My ex-manager caught a van to El Segundo from 101 and Reyes Adobe in the Agoura Hills (Conejo Valley) and I know of at least two other vans that go into Thousand Oaks.

One thing, we beat most traffic into OC by leaving at 330 - you won't beat traffic to TO leaving at 330. It is really bad on the 405 from about the Marina freeway (90) north to about Sunset, then it eases up the rest of the way. Even if you left at 2PM it is bad through there. And there are no carpool lanes yet so it is really bad. We have carpool lanes all the way to OC and we beat a lot of traffic that way. In other words, even though TO is closer in miles than OC, the commute is much worse, mainly due to the 405/10 intersection and horrible traffic in West LA.

PC, RH, and the beach cities of RB, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach are very expensive, much more than TO or OC - that's probably why so many of us live so far away.

Places that pop up are western side of Torrance, some parts of Long Beach, Los Alamitos, Yorba Linda, Tustin, Irvine, and south Orange County like Mission Viejo. Most of these places can be commuted in an hour iff you leave early and use a vanpool/carpool lane.

I know there are several vans going to LAAFB as I sometimes ride on them and walk to my building a few blocks away. There are vans going to all the big companies in the El Segundo area and no matter which one you get on, you'd only have to walk maybe a few blocks. The price is around $120/month but government employees actually make money (come up positive each month) by driving the van and through employer incentives.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:35 PM

699 posts, read 1,344,551 times
Charles,

I almost -- almost -- caveated with "unless you work strange hours..." but the color you've provided, as always, does a great job of covering that.

I see the southbound traffic on 101 & 405 in the San Fernando Valley on a daily basis and can't imagine anything worse than the stretch between Topanga Canyon and West LA. To your point, there's no carpool on 405 N/B, and the 101 lacks any carpool whatsoever.

It's miles of pure hell, worse than the other known hades of the 91, Newhall Pass, 60, 210 and 57 freeways, and probably worse now than when you lived in TO a few years ago.

Which explains why people would change their sleep/work patterns in an attempt to escape it.

Old 03-22-2011, 01:04 AM

13 posts, read 35,703 times
Life is too short to waste it in freeways, breathing polluted air (which will shorten your life as well). That's just my opinion, but I think we get only one life to live. BTW, my 2001-year model car has only 60K miles because I always make every effort to live as close as possible to wherever my job is.

Good luck, and apologies for the sermon!

Old 03-22-2011, 08:51 AM

1,549 posts, read 4,257,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sim7396 View Post
Life is too short to waste it in freeways, breathing polluted air (which will shorten your life as well). That's just my opinion, but I think we get only one life to live. BTW, my 2001-year model car has only 60K miles because I always make every effort to live as close as possible to wherever my job is.

Good luck, and apologies for the sermon!
Lucky you! Sometimes it's just not possible to live close to where you work..my 2006 car has over 80K miles but that's because I'm a rebel and love to drive!! LOL~

Old 03-24-2011, 06:58 PM

168 posts, read 549,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKLO View Post
Lucky you! Sometimes it's just not possible to live close to where you work..my 2006 car has over 80K miles but that's because I'm a rebel and love to drive!! LOL~
16,000 miles a year is pretty low for a commuter.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:55 PM

1,549 posts, read 4,257,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24hr7 View Post
16,000 miles a year is pretty low for a commuter.
I live about 30 miles roundtrip from my job and I don't often work 5 days a week. A lot of the times I am out of town on business so perhaps it could be more miles! LOL!

Old 03-25-2011, 12:55 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
I live 7.8 miles from work. Planning on parking the car this summer and riding the bike to work. One of the good things about living in Oxnard and working in Ventura, Both cities do have lots of bike paths.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,735 times
Default TO/Agoura Hills to El Segundo

I actually made this commute daily but I took the coast. I went over hills to PCH by taking Kanan Rd. or Malibu Canyon. It takes from 50-90 mins depending on a lot of variables. At least it's a pretty drive and on days when the 101/405 is at a stand still it's moving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County