Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 09:55 PM

18 posts, read 28,020 times

Advertisements

By the way what are the amenities in Thousand Oaks as opposed to Camarillo. I assume both have Big Box shopping such as Besgt Buy, Fry's, Home Depot, Walmart, Smart & Final and the like. I sure hope so. Any place that is more than 10 miles from that is going to be a bit out there for what I would like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2011, 10:32 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,407,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliscallin View Post
By the way what are the amenities in Thousand Oaks as opposed to Camarillo.
Probably not many actually. But TO is maybe three or four times bigger so there will proportionally that many of the same things. Probably more dining options, more hiking options, cycling options, things like that.

Old 03-19-2011, 11:56 PM

699 posts, read 1,336,710 times
Take a look at Ventura proper. The Nard doesn't have the schools. Ventura would be at the outer limits of your commute preference... but you're at the beach. Most days will be 30 mins door to door. If you like coastal weather, that's it. TO/Conejo Valley, Simi Valley, Moorpark - they're all in valleys and the heat is trapped there. These folks are defensive for a reason - it can get NASTY hot, and for more than 2 weeks. Camarillo also has some hot days, but not nearly as many as TO.

As far as Ventura schools go, Poinsettia -> Cabrillo JHS -> Ventura HS is the preferred track. Loma Vista is also excellent; APIs are lower than Poinsettia due to the integration of deaf/hard of hearing program.

Those two elementary schools put you in midtown or the college areas, above Telegraph, west of Victoria and east of Seaward. There are very few homes with air conditioning in these areas -- that says something!

Next time you roll down, cruise Main Street in Ventura and grab a bite to eat. You'll see there's actually some "there there!"

Old 03-20-2011, 12:03 PM

12,460 posts, read 19,987,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenSky View Post
TO/Conejo Valley, Simi Valley, Moorpark - they're all in valleys and the heat is trapped there. These folks are defensive for a reason - it can get NASTY hot, and for more than 2 weeks. Camarillo also has some hot days, but not nearly as many as TO.
They are in valleys, but not the same valley.

I'm not sure I get this "defensive" line. Weather is pretty cut and dry, you can look up averages online. When someone says "nasty hot" I think very high heats, that is, like the desert. Nowhere in Ventura County has weather like that, the hottest city is Simi Valley and even there it rarely gets over 100. The average highs in the summer in Thousand Oaks is the mid 80's, temps over 100 are rare. Ventura/Oxnard get up to the 100's as well, its just very rare. Anyhow, the average temp in Ventura/Oxnard is around 10 degrees cooler in the summer than Thousand Oaks. I'm not sure how 10 degrees makes the difference between "nice weather" and "nasty hot" weather.

Anyhow, the commute to TO and Ventura is only 30 minutes if there is no traffic at all. But he would be moving with rush hour traffic so the drive would be pretty bad.

Old 03-20-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenSky View Post
Ventura would be at the outer limits of your commute preference... but you're at the beach. Most days will be 30 mins door to door.
I don't think this can be done in 30 minutes at rush hour. Google Maps says 37 minutes in no traffic, 50 with traffic and those numbers sound about right.

http://goo.gl/maps/kqVU

The message board below (if it doesn't update) shows 50 minutes to Highway 126 from Westlake Boulevard and the 101. Yes it is raining but it is also 1030 on a Sunday morning.

http://pub2.camera.trafficland.com/image/live.jpg?system=sigalert&webid=15884&size=full&pub token=333d88987615296d83ea377baa0508e2&affiliate=& cb=1300642325667 (broken link)

Last edited by Charles; 03-20-2011 at 12:35 PM..

Old 03-20-2011, 12:15 PM

Quote:
By the way what are the amenities in Thousand Oaks as opposed to Camarillo. I assume both have Big Box shopping such as Besgt Buy, Fry's, Home Depot, Walmart, Smart & Final and the like. I sure hope so. Any place that is more than 10 miles from that is going to be a bit out there for what I would like.
In terms of Thousand Oaks, you can find Best Buy and Wal-mart in the west end of Simi Valley. Fry's you can find in the valley or Oxnard. With the exception of Wal-mart, you can find all the "big box" stores you'd shop at on a weekly basis in Thousand Oaks.

I think the Oxnard/Ventura area has all of them, but I don't remember exactly where they are located.

Old 03-20-2011, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I don't think this can be done in 30 minutes at rush hour. Google Maps says 37 minutes in no traffic, 50 with traffic and those numbers sound about right.
Yeah, it also depends where the job is in Thousand Oaks. It usually takes me 10~15 minutes without traffic to get to places from the Westlake side of Thousand Oaks to the Newbury Park side.

Old 03-20-2011, 12:41 PM

18 posts, read 28,020 times
Nobody has mentioned Malibu or Los Angeles. I would probably rather live in West LA than Ventura, all things considered. Of course it costs more, but I am OK with that.

Old 03-20-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Nobody has mentioned Malibu or Los Angeles. I would probably rather live in West LA than Ventura, all things considered. Of course it costs more, but I am OK with that.
That's a longer tougher drive and very expensive if you want good schools.

Old 03-20-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
The commute from Thousand Oaks to West LA is horrible, in terms of Malibu, I'm not really sure. The fastest way to get to Malibu is one of the mountainous highways. Without traffic these are around 20~30 minutes, but these are winding roads and they aren't particularly safe. I'm not sure whether there is traffic on them during the week, I only use them on the weekend.

If you want something more urban, something like the Studio city area would be better in terms of commute. But if you think Thousand Oaks has "desert heat", then this area is going to feel like Hades. There is the Woodland Hills area, which I believe has decent schools, but again this area is considerably hotter than Thousand Oaks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County