Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 09:42 PM

18 posts, read 28,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenSky View Post
Camarillo is a great choice. The rational one too.

It looks good on paper. Probably just rent there for the first 6-12 months and see. If it turns out to be crap, I can always just move back to the Bay Area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 09:53 AM

1,631 posts, read 4,204,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliscallin View Post
I am thinking about accepting a job offer in Thousand Oaks and want to get some feedback from people who live around there. Is that a good place to live? What are the drawbacks. What are reasonable commute options?

Basically, schools and safety are very important, and I don't want to do an awful lot driving but I am not really sure I would want to live there. I stopped by there once in the summer and it was HOT! It was like desert heat and that is just unacceptable. I live in the Bay Area and I like it cool and dislike air conditioning as a lifestyle.

I know I sound picky, but I am actually willing to drive a half hour to an hour to live some place with temps more like the Bay. What do you think?
You're talking about not wanting to do a lot of driving but as I skim this thread I see mentions of West LA and Malibu and even the hot ass valley. Take a couple of week days off go down to Ventura county and drive around. Maybe try the commute from say, Camarillo (which is nothing). Check out the areas. I lived in TO for 20 some years, simi for one and Camarillo for two. Camarillo wAs my favorite. We rarely had to run the AC, it was a nice quiet area and close many different shopping centers.

It really sounds like you don't want to move and I don't think you should either. You want to talk about heat and a lot of driving, come to TX where I moved to.

Perhaps I am biased but TO is really a great area for families. It's safe and comfortable and in a good location.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:49 AM

699 posts, read 1,337,119 times
Quote:
No can do. 7 AM is way too early for me. How long would it take if you have left at 8 AM
Left my home Ventura this morning (near the mall) at 8:00am. Passed the 23 freeway at exactly 8:25am. Arrived at the doorstep of work in Warner Center at 8:42am. That was with one slow down prior to the grade and another small one at Lynn Rd.

I can't speak for time off the freeway in TO, but my 30 minute average estimate between Vta and TO stands.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bungle View Post
You're talking about not wanting to do a lot of driving but as I skim this thread I see mentions of West LA and Malibu and even the hot ass valley. Take a couple of week days off go down to Ventura county and drive around. Maybe try the commute from say, Camarillo (which is nothing). Check out the areas. I lived in TO for 20 some years, simi for one and Camarillo for two. Camarillo wAs my favorite. We rarely had to run the AC, it was a nice quiet area and close many different shopping centers.

It really sounds like you don't want to move and I don't think you should either. You want to talk about heat and a lot of driving, come to TX where I moved to.

Perhaps I am biased but TO is really a great area for families. It's safe and comfortable and in a good location.

Well, you go where there's work, Another thing is I am burnt out on the Bay Area. It is a ton more expensive than Ventura County and is more competitive also. If I was really happy here, I wouldn't even be considerig this.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Left my home Ventura this morning (near the mall) at 8:00am. Passed the 23 freeway at exactly 8:25am. Arrived at the doorstep of work in Warner Center at 8:42am. That was with one slow down prior to the grade and another small one at Lynn Rd.

I can't speak for time off the freeway in TO, but my 30 minute average estimate between Vta and TO stands.

That's great. I am glad you can get around like that.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:25 PM

Quote:
That's great. I am glad you can get around like that.
The commute was the one thing that worried me about the move to Ventura.

It turns out my time on the road is about the same as when I was only 15 miles from work (in the other direction).

I've been pinching myself because the mortgage is nearly $1,000 less per month, the schools are every bit as good, the neighborhood is every bit as safe (if not more so), and we can (and do) bike/walk to the beach.

I'm certain there will be instances where the traffic is going to be absolutely brutal. But in the past 45 days, that's happened just once - it was 1 hr 15 minutes to get home. In other words, about like every other place else I've lived...

If we didn't value the access to the water and the 'destination town' aspects of Ventura, we'd do Camarillo. It'd save a good 15-20 minutes each way.

Last edited by HSP1161; 03-21-2011 at 04:51 PM..

Old 03-21-2011, 05:51 PM

Quote:
The commute was the one thing that worried me about the move to Ventura.

It turns out my time on the road is about the same as when I was only 15 miles from work (in the other direction).

I've been pinching myself because the mortgage is nearly $1,000 less per month, the schools are every bit as good, the neighborhood is every bit as safe (if not more so), and we can (and do) bike/walk to the beach.

I'm certain there will be instances where the traffic is going to be absolutely brutal. But in the past 45 days, that's happened just once - it was 1 hr 15 minutes to get home. In other words, about like every other place else I've lived...

If we didn't value the access to the water and the 'destination town' aspects of Ventura, we'd do Camarillo. It'd save a good 15-20 minutes each way.
I will have to check out Ventura. I have done some sailing, but it is not something that has been all that convenient where I currently live. I have always enjoyed weekend trips to the towns along the coast. If nothing else we will still have that.

Old 03-21-2011, 06:16 PM

1,549 posts, read 4,240,787 times
Great posts in this thread. From what you are saying, Camarillo is probably going to be a good fit for you. I live in Oxnard and enjoy reasonable temperatures most of the year. I have air conditioning here but rarely run it! Best of luck to you!

Old 03-21-2011, 10:45 PM

Quote:
OK, now it's getting obsessive so I promise to stop... AFTER this post

Today's commute home:

6:26pm Left parking lot of work in Warner Center
7:41pm Passed electric sign in TO "Minutes to 126: 30" (actual time: 1h 23m)

Sidenote: I took note of the sign off 101 near Rancho Conejo that indicates "Miles to Ventura: 25" The actual freeway distance from that point to the City Limit sign near Victoria (if my late model Toyota odometer is to be believed) is just under 18 miles.

9:04pm Exited 101 at Main St.
9:08pm Pulled in the driveway in Ventura

I generally average 19-31mph (never higher, sometimes lower) so there were no tricks involved.

I don't want to paint an overly rosy picture of the distance, it is certainly long, but I've done far worse.
I wouldn't go telling everyone about this. People might move out there and clog up your freeway.

Last edited by caliscallin; 03-21-2011 at 11:29 PM..

Old 03-21-2011, 10:54 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't go telling everyone about this. People might move out there and clog up your freeway.
Good point. Can you edit your msg to delete the quote?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County