Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2011, 01:15 PM

5 posts, read 11,798 times

Advertisements

Due to job change, we will be relocating to Ventura County. Job is in Oxnard, so we are looking for a place that will be very safe, with good public schools, and we loooove to bike ride and walk all over. We also love the beach (rivers and lakes too). We dont actually have to live at the beach, but maybe in the hills to get a glimpse of the ocean. I have been looking at Ventura, Camarillo and Port Hueneme (how do you say that anyway lol). Thanks for any replies and info
We are coming up from San Diego.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 01:59 PM

1,465 posts, read 5,146,869 times
I'd say midtown Ventura is where I would start.

Port Hueneme = Port Why-knee'-me

Old 04-27-2011, 02:18 PM

699 posts, read 1,344,551 times
Riding your bike to the beach from Camarillo would be a stretch, especially if you have kids that ride. Port Hueneme doesn't have the school quality.

In case you missed it, here's a short post on our experience with Ventura, including some info on bike riding. This thread on a walkable, bikeable area in VC might also be a help. We're also a family that bikes a lot, especially to the beach.

One issue I might raise is you want to have a view of sorts (or a partial view) and therefore would look at living in the hills. The problem with that is it makes walking and biking from home that much more difficult. Not impossible, but less tenable. We chose "the flats" for this reason and walk just about everywhere.

DowntownVentura said it best:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownVentura View Post
In the Downtown Ventura area, the people that are on the flatlands generally walk to the market. Those in the hills drive (it is pretty steep walking,, especially with a load). I would guess the bike is the better form in the MidTown area as you aren't quite on top of the markets as you are downtown. Everything is very doable on a bike from MidTown. It is one of my favorite areas.
Good luck!

Last edited by HSP1161; 04-27-2011 at 02:59 PM..

Old 04-27-2011, 02:32 PM

5 posts, read 11,798 times
Default Thank you!

I love hearing from people that know the area!

Old 04-28-2011, 10:13 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
In Oxnard Seabridge is very nice. It is close to the beach communities and in a newer development. You can ride your bikes within seabridge and off to 3 area beaches. The area also has boat docks and an intercoastal waterway of sorts. Many of the homes have their own boat docks. Much of Seabridge is townhomes, and patio homes. With the current real estate situation prices are in the $300,000 range and up. If you are looking to rent they also have apartments within the area and many area homes and condos should also be available in the area.

In Ventura if you are looking for an ocean view then you have your choice of places. The beauty of Ventura is that much of it is on a hillside with plenty of ocean views. Even further inland you can find places with an ocean view. With a young family I would stay around mid town. You can ride to the beach and will be close to the down town area. If you like a night life the downtown offers that. That said it is more lively on the weekends and is safe to walk around at night.

I grew up in Port Hueneme. Chances are I would choose to live close to the beach maybe in the Surfside complexes. They are Condo's but many are available for rent. The schools I am not so sure about anymore. I am a product of that system but that isn't saying much. You can find other pockets of the city that are nice. Near Channel Islands and Patterson would be fine, just west of Patterson.

The areas I am refering to are good for a beach lifestyle even if you aren't on the beach. Other areas within the cities are fine for raising a family. In Ventura the far East side is nice. In Oxnard the North Side is always nice. Also River park in Oxnard is a safe bet. West Oxnard is fine, the closer you are too Victoria and north of Wooley lets say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County