Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2011, 07:59 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,085,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
oh I think they care if you are paying your loans...didn't say that...
You are saying they don't care about your credit score, your credit score is determined largely by:
1.) Payment history
2.) Utilization, that is how much credit you are using
3.) Length
4.) Credit mix

A property manager is going to be just as interested in the first 3 as a bank, but 4.) may not be that useful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 08:11 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,343,169 times
I'm just telling you what they told me. They don't use the credit score and it's much more lax than other types of loans and lines of credit. I get denied for credit cards due to #2 but not for apartments. Also, obviously getting approved for a home loan is much more involved. The apartment approval took about 30 seconds. (and has for all of my apartments). They told me they are specifically looking for deliquencies, bankruptcies, evictions, unpaid bills etc but will forgive certain unpaid bills such as health bills.

If they looked at utilization and did not take my income into account I suspect I myself would have much bigger problems in terms of apartment rentals.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:56 PM

1,549 posts, read 4,257,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
1.) Talking about "incorporated Thousand Oaks" is like talking about cold ice and it wasn't clear, at least to me, what you were trying to say.
2.) Right. But, as I mentioned previously, I gave very specific details about the weather. There was no spin whatsoever.
3.) Yep, I was talking about the drive through the mountains.
4.) You, of course.

Your shtick here is obvious, you try to take things out of context in order to distort and/or spin matters.
Speaking of cold ice....thought I'd lighten up the thread a little...

YouTube - Foreigner - Cold As Ice

Old 05-09-2011, 10:00 PM

699 posts, read 1,344,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKLO View Post
Speaking of cold ice....thought I'd lighten up the thread a little...

YouTube - Foreigner - Cold As Ice
It's too bad that old gameshow "password" is no longer on... LadyKLO would kick some serious behind.

Speaking of lightening the mood:

YouTube - Super Password - A "Strange" Moment

Old 05-09-2011, 10:02 PM

1,549 posts, read 4,257,196 times
Too funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-09-2011, 10:03 PM

[quote=LadyKLO;19085196]Speaking of cold ice....thought I'd lighten up the thread a little...

It's too bad that old gameshow "Password" is no longer on... LadyKLO would kick some serious behind.

Speaking of lightening the mood:

Old 05-11-2011, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Your shtick here is obvious, you try to take things out of context in order to distort and/or spin matters.
And we all know yours: nitpick, argue and be disagreeable. We can disagree without being the latter. No one here is perfect, but I haven't found a thread wherein you haven't been abrasive with those whom you disagree. Perhaps you can show us otherwise.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:09 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,085,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenSky View Post
And we all know yours: nitpick, argue and be disagreeable.
Great, I'm glad we got that out of the way.

Old 05-11-2011, 11:54 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,484,661 times
Quote:
the thing is, the several agents I've talked to (in California and other places) have told me they do not check credit scores. They get a certain report from a service but they don't even subscribe to a service that gives the credit score like a bank would. I guess there might be some that do. But the ones I've talked to don't. They use something called move safe or rent safe or something like that, which doesn't pull the actual score. I haven't used a property service yet that has used my credit score, and if they have they didn't tell me. They have all done credit checks though but I've asked them about it and they all said pretty much the same thing.

If not, I'd have more fear of renting in CA because the rents are double than anything I've normally had to pay for rent. In fact this is why I asked about it and offered to show them my offer letter but they weren't interested. It didn't seem to matter if I'm renting a $2000 apartment or a $1000 apartment. Which I thinik is weird, yet I'm glad it's so simple...
As a former onsite resident apartment manager I can confirm what you are saying is correct. Very few property management companies use Experian, TransUnion, etc... because they are not that interested in credit scores. The company I worked for only wanted to know if a tenant had previous evictions, recent bankruptcy or a lot of unpaid debt being collected by collection agencies. With the current recession many are even overlooking bankruptcy.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:03 AM

Quote:
I found a decent (not nice, decent and somewhat comparable but not as nice to places I've lived in before) 700 sqft for $1622 a month (that's with the discount) I'll be adding on $50 for the pet rent. It's really pretty sick if you ask me!
As stated previously, your dollar goes quite a bit further with private rentals. You just need money for the up front deposit, depending on the landlord requirements. There are also a few tools I've used to guard against landlord default, such as PropertyShark, which would give you an alert if the property hit NOD status (90 days late - at least 3 mos prior to foreclosure).

$1600 gets you an updated 3 bedroom, 1.5 bath home, utilities paid, with a nice yard in a great location in midtown Ventura. I say "updated" because the windows were dual pane and the yard was well-kept; I can't speak to the countertop materials.

We walked past this place Sunday morning (here is the approx location, which is quite walkable to the mall, the new Trader Joe's, and a few nice restaurants):

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County