Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2011, 06:27 PM

699 posts, read 1,344,344 times

Advertisements

Seven Samurai where are you! Save us from all these pot smoking THUGS! The police aren't doing anything about it!

Quote:
And, yes, I know everywhere is getting overcrowded but it's just another thing that is getting out of hand here
Yes, it's so bad that people keep on moving here! (and apparently folks are sticking around)

ps Wife just called. Great time at the beach with our two little ones. They earned a few nickels picking up trash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 07:39 PM

39 posts, read 81,594 times
I'm not going to take Opensky's comment as sarcastic but instead use it to demonstrate one more reason we are not happy anymore -people can be rude. Of course we all know it isn't the pot smokers that are always committing the crimes and it isn't necessarily people moving here legally that are causing the extra crowds. We all know there is a tremendous amount of agriculture here. As I have discovered in places like jury duty, there are people that live under rocks. And I was mentioning earlier that life is best for people with a financially leisure life. I don't know a lot of people who work full time and have their kids in daycare to try to survive on their own here who are at the beach with the kids on a weekday afternoon. Maybe that was in humor too.... I hope you have some more info on the area now, rgb. Yes we have a beach and temperate weather. I have just had different experiences than someone else.

Last edited by Nisini; 05-02-2011 at 07:41 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 05-02-2011, 08:17 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,341,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisini View Post
rgb, I just saw the comments that came in while I was typing my last one. I'm sure you DID see someone lighting up a joint at a park. Everywhere you go at parks and beaches and especially the beautiful Surfers Point where my kids surf, there is non-stop, public pot-smoking! It's incredibly sickening! You can even smell it walking through neighborhoods - even good neighborhoods! It's like people think it's legal here. But that may be a problem everywhere too, I don't know. Maybe I'm just expecting Mayberry or something like that...... But I am certain there are places that are cleaner than here. (again, sorry)
yeah, washington is pretty liberal too, I can't say I've ever seen anyone light up in the park on a Wednesday afternoon.
And yeah, from the airport, to the rite aid to the hotel, to pretty much everywhere (the exception being InNOut...) people were generally rude, some threatening. I experienced that a bit in other places in CA. People in Spokane are very nice. Really, it's been one of the best things about it. It's not unusual for people here to make a career out of customer service, and as a result the people are awesome. People at the store helping you will actually talk to you, it's really rare for me to deal with rude service anywhere.

And yes, this board has probably been the least welcoming and helpful of any of the places I've researched before moving. The chicago boards are defensive too (and I'm from there) this is a bit unebelievable to me. How dare I wish to be safe and pay a fair price for housing!!?!?!?!? Oh but right, the lack of safety is all in my stupid little judgemental brain that can't figure out I was in the wrong part of town.

Believe me, I saw the whole town, a few times over.

Its actually really interesting. I'd like to dig a little deeper to really figure out what is going on there with the police and government. Because something is not right.

But it might be like when you haven't seen someone in a long time, or you don't even notice something about yourself cause it happens so gradually...then you see a picture from ten years ago and your like...when did that happen!?

I make a very good income and will get about 15% raise to move there. My free income would go way down. I have student loans and other debts to pay off and I do not have family help or a cushion.

The day I was there a man was stopped in traffic by thugs, he pulled over because they cut him off and he was stabbed.

I can't understand how you can live there and not realize there is a problem unique to that area and not an issue elsewhere in the country.

There is obviously something wrong with the crime stats and if the cops are that lackadasical it's not too suprising, it's all about the reporting.

I saw a fight the day I was there. I can't think of many street fights I've seen in any place I've lived.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:05 PM

Warning: extreme sarcasm ahead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
But it might be like when you haven't seen someone in a long time, or you don't even notice something about yourself cause it happens so gradually...then you see a picture from ten years ago and your like...when did that happen!?
Except we just moved here a few months ago and have lived in some of the safest, stucco-box communities in the entire region. Our eyes are fresh. We've seen everything from the heart of the San Fernando Valley to the white bread sameness of Orange County (now THAT was a culture shock!). It must be our emotional investment that's coloring our judgment.

Quote:
How dare I wish to be safe and pay a fair price for housing!!?!?
What's fair?

Incomes and housing prices are aligned here. Half the households in Spokane make less than $16 an hour. That means many with two earners make less than $8 an hour EACH. So yeah, housing is cheap where you are. Makes sense, it's a poor low income area.

Quote:
I have student loans and other debts to pay off and I do not have family help or a cushion.
Ahhh... well, I s'pose that sounds like your own issue. Unfortunately, the housing market doesn't care to calculate that into costs. It's supply/demand.

Quote:
The day I was there a man was stopped in traffic by thugs, he pulled over because they cut him off and he was stabbed.
Yes, it made the news here. It was near a fast food place in Montalvo right off the freeway. Must be a trend. Strange how the cops and police reported this one but not all that other crime all over the place everywhere you go.

Quote:
I'd like to dig a little deeper to really figure out what is going on there with the police and government. Because something is not right...
There is obviously something wrong with the crime stats and if the cops are that lackadasical it's not too suprising, it's all about the reporting.
CONSPIRACY! Reminds me of this. Might be something there. Would be a big story if someone could break it. Wait.. there's only one major paper in town! Another curiosity!

Quote:
I saw a fight the day I was there. I can't think of many street fights I've seen in any place I've lived.
These anecdotes keep piling up. They seem to get worse with memory and each telling. Bring a GoPro cam next time you come down. It will be great to watch all this crime taking place right before our eyes!!

Last edited by HSP1161; 05-02-2011 at 10:31 PM.. Reason: Warning added

Old 05-02-2011, 09:59 PM

These threads/this board are not encouranging in any way.

There are scores of posts about crime in the general area, people not feeling safe etc.

And plenty of follow ups by rude, sarcastic, unwelcoming people in a 'you are just stupid' tone to top it off.

So basically it's a high crime area with a few well off jerks, nice. I'm thinking you can keep it...and yes, you are emotionally invested because you just moved there. I hope you one day make it a better place.

At least in Spokane low income does not translate to rude, dangerous place to live.

Oxnard is a low income area as well.

And I've never ever come to a forum looking for advice to get snapped at by such rudeness because of my perception of the area. I was totally willing to change my mind in fact I wanted to so much, but really, with the exception of LadyKLO and a few others, you are a shining example of rude and unwelcoming, and insulting.

If someone came to my town and saw what they saw, I'd acknowledge it and tell them the good and the bad. I wouldn't crucify them and basically tell them how stupid they are for seeing what was.

I've never had a forum literally make me think one area might not actually be worth it, thanks for adding to the perception, I was actually really excited about this move. I no longer am and may indeed back out of it.

There's nicer areas of California if I'm going to uproot myself and pay through the nose. And other opportunities will come along.

I hope I can forget about this forum enough to even give the job opprotunity a fair chance.

Old 05-02-2011, 10:23 PM

I honestly didn't mean to offend you, but I reread the thread twice before posting and your experience seems to be better or worse depending on how you feel. And there's compounding from secondary sources. You're understandably scared and there's nothing wrong with that.

I really doubt you'd be happy here. Any shred of anecdote will validate your fears, and it doesn't sound like you're in a financial position with leverage to negotiate great terms on a lease - which will limit the types of housing you can put yourself in. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I've shared that there are a couple places I avoid in Ventura. I've never said it was perfect, and shared some areas where it could improve. It works for us but we are homeowners in midtown, buffered by other great parts of town. We made tough choices to allow my wife to stay at home but we are admittedly middle class. We bought a home we could afford and are surrounded by great neighbors (three backyard BBQs in 2 months!). And the people we've met through school and church are down to earth and very friendly. Wife has a workout buddy already and we've scored a babysitter and dogsitter. Clerks at Lassen's and Trader Joe's remember us, ask how the dog is doing, etc. Come to think of it, we've had more positive experiences with the community here than just about everywhere else we've lived. This in a span of a few weeks without really seeking it out. We're just hoping the honeymoon lasts.

Your experience was quite a bit different from ours.

Again, I think it's a bad move for you - and on that point, Nisini, Katie45 and I all agree.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:24 PM

39 posts, read 81,594 times
I sincerely apologize if I upset you about the statements I have made. I am a little sad about this area after having been here all of my life and seeing what I have seen over the past few to several years. I was born in Los Angeles area and my husband and kids were born in Ventura. There are memories here for us but we are saddened by the other factors. I think what I am trying to express is that there are some good things and maybe someone new to the area would be able to live happily but I would recommend a lot of watchfulness. I am a government employee too and we struggle so much to survive. Please feel free to direct message me if you would like more detail. *I would be glad to continue the conversation and, yes, I can be positive too. *I am probably the most honest person you will find here.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisini View Post
I sincerely apologize if I upset you about the statements I have made. I am a little sad about this area after having been here all of my life and seeing what I have seen over the past few to several years. I was born in Los Angeles area and my husband and kids were born in Ventura. There are memories here for us but we are saddened by the other factors. I think what I am trying to express is that there are some good things and maybe someone new to the area would be able to live happily but I would recommend a lot of watchfulness. I am a government employee too and we struggle so much to survive. Please feel free to direct message me if you would like more detail. *I would be glad to continue the conversation and, yes, I can be positive too. *I am probably the most honest person you will find here.
you have not upset me at all, and honestly people like you encourage me because you are honest. I never said I wasn't going to move (until..now perhaps) but I did want to honestly know what I was getting into and where to go, because still, I do not see any area of Ventura that is really that great, perhaps it's where the higher incomes live, but the bad areas are so close to the good areas. For a single woman, this is important, especially since apartment dwellers there are treated as second class citizens.

The rude people personally attacking my judgement do not encourage me to move there at all.

It really bothered me when I Was in Chicago too. People were incredibly defensive about the area. I'm from the area, I gave a balanced view. The thing is, pretending thigns are perfectly great all the time doesn't make anything better. I'd be encouraged to move to this kind of area if there was promise of a better future, citizens that want to continuously improve the area. If people think everything is fine as is, I can see the area will have to get really terrible before it can get any better.

All I'm hearing is "you are stupid, don't come here, it's worse everywhere else, but you are stupid so don't come here" and the few who don't want to argue with those people (and I don't blame them) and why the heck would you want to live next to them?

Old 05-03-2011, 07:08 AM

1,549 posts, read 4,256,609 times
I think that you should come up with a pros/cons list and see what works for you. I will say this, when I moved to this area 10+ years ago, it was one of my options simply because I was fresh out of school with little experience and some company desired to hire me. I was not going to give that up no matter what. I'm a survivalist type...I figure I can make it anywhere and I do mean anywhere. I'm from Memphis, TN..went to university in Saint Louis, MO so my perception on what is safe and unsafe might be a bit skewed. LOL, I've lived my first 18 years and my college years in the inner city surrounded by all types of stuff.

I think each town has it's issues. Ventura apparently from what you all are saying has an issue with bums and homeless people. Oxnard apparently has a gang issue and is low income although anybody that can afford a home, I seriously doubt is low income.

No city in America is without it's problems i.e look at these small, sterile communities that have been ravaged by small meth labs and and other stuff. No city will be 100% immune from gangs even Thousand Oaks has gangs and gang violence.

Yesterday I had the divine pleasure of taking someone to Reseda to pick up their motorcycle. While driving through that area, I was noticing all the ethnic restaurants and trying to decide where I was going to eat...LOL...gyros???Chinese food???Mexican??? Anyway, the area appeared to be run down in spots but that did not change my perception or sway me from not coming back to the area. I actually stopped to eat believe it or not. Plus I was telling someone I wanted to come back to eat at all the restaurants since my county doesn't have those type of places!

Saturday I was in Santa Barbara taking my friend's daughter to the zoo....on the very first exit I took, I saw some guy who was dressed in dingy clothing hollering in the street and the police all around him. I saw ladies who looked like "ladies of the night"...saw men and women who appeared to be on some type of drugs or whatever. I have been to Santa Barbara MANY TIMES.....but I know that this is not 100% what the city is about. There are pockets of wealth in that city and pockets of extreme poverty as there are in any city.

I think that you have probably made up in your mind that this area is not going to work for you. For me, I guess I didn't have a choice. When I graduated from school, not many places were hiring and when they called LadyKLO.....I said goodbye to all and took the flight straight here! I have not regretted it one bit. I will say that my life has changed dramatically since I've been here and this was probably the best decision in my life.

I guess this thread has been a reminder why what works for some...won't work for all but I'd ask you to reconsider....I think you have so many factors in your life that hurt the move her like student loans (I had those but they are paid for now!), possible other debts and you are used to living a certain way. When I lived in Saint Louis, I had a 2 bedroom 1.5 apartment that I was paying $500 a month for back in 2000. When I moved here, I got a similar apartment...it was $950 and for the first 2 months, I could not sleep because I couldn't believe my rent was that......now I have a mortgage and just laugh at the $950. Each of us have our own unique financial situations whether we are just making it, low class, middle class or high class...there is room for all here in this area if you desire it.

Old 05-03-2011, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenSky View Post
I honestly didn't mean to offend you, but I reread the thread twice before posting and your experience seems to be better or worse depending on how you feel. And there's compounding from secondary sources. You're understandably scared and there's nothing wrong with that.

I really doubt you'd be happy here. Any shred of anecdote will validate your fears, and it doesn't sound like you're in a financial position with leverage to negotiate great terms on a lease - which will limit the types of housing you can put yourself in. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I've shared that there are a couple places I avoid in Ventura. I've never said it was perfect, and shared some areas where it could improve. It works for us but we are homeowners in midtown, buffered by other great parts of town. We made tough choices to allow my wife to stay at home but we are admittedly middle class. We bought a home we could afford and are surrounded by great neighbors (three backyard BBQs in 2 months!). And the people we've met through school and church are down to earth and very friendly. Wife has a workout buddy already and we've scored a babysitter and dogsitter. Clerks at Lassen's and Trader Joe's remember us, ask how the dog is doing, etc. Come to think of it, we've had more positive experiences with the community here than just about everywhere else we've lived. This in a span of a few weeks without really seeking it out. We're just hoping the honeymoon lasts.

Your experience was quite a bit different from ours.

Again, I think it's a bad move for you - and on that point, Nisini, Katie45 and I all agree.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

dont worry I'm not reading your posts anymore. Just scanning the first line or so but pretty much stop when you feel the need to tear apart my post.

This is about moving to a new area, stop making it personal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County