Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 11:17 PM

1,549 posts, read 4,255,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelsrus View Post
thanks for the quick responses and ive looked through craigslist and it seems oxnard has the cheapest rent for a 3 bedroom so far. i really dont want to have to commute using 101 since i heard traffic can get really bad, but if i have to i gotta. how bad does it get exactly? if i were to commute from oxnard to work in thousand oaks at 6-7pm and thousand oaks back to oxnard at 7-8 am, how long would it take?

and a quick question: i'll be taking an RN position at los robles hospital, will my income be good enough for ventura county?
I live in Oxnard and have had no issues...Oxnard is not for everyone but for me, no issues. My exhusband is a nurse and many of them make great salaries. I suppose your salary could be anywhere from $65K-$100K depending on what level they are bringing you in at their hospital.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 11:21 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,078,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
that's what I expected. But I didn't expect to get ripped off in my own garage within in 48 hours.
Theft occurs in all areas, I'm really not sure why you think something occurring in the first 48 hours is significant.

Good luck on your second move, perhaps you should try Oxnard/Ventura next time?

Old 06-07-2011, 11:30 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,340,191 times
Thousand Oaks is okay. It's not bad. It's just not as 'safe' as everyone seems to think (the cops I talked with confirmed this for me). Theft is more common here than most all places I've lived (only in the city of Chicago did my car get broken into, and I had boxes in there in plain sight). Nowhere else....locked or unlocked.

Being that many apartments are situated in lower income areas it's like wearing a 'rip me off' sign, the secure garage just seems to be asking for it even more....

TO is fine. I like it. I hope the OP finds a nice safe place but I'd just recommend looking around a lot and considering a place temporarily at first. It's hard to find the right place here. It's expensive and the stakes are higher if you commit.

I'm not sure why things get so personal on the Ventura boards though. I guess people are just really passionate about their particular place. I appreciated everyones input and am turned off by the meaness from all different angles. It's weird.

Sorry TO, I'm sorry I left my car unlocked and I'm sorry it bothered me that people ripped me off.. I should expect to get ripped off! I should expect thuggery and theivery to be the default mode of people if I let my guard down for one minute in a 'secure' location even!

Old 06-07-2011, 11:39 PM

1,549 posts, read 4,255,853 times
Quote:
Thousand Oaks is okay. It's not bad. It's just not as 'safe' as everyone seems to think (the cops I talked with confirmed this for me). Theft is more common here than most all places I've lived (only in the city of Chicago did my car get broken into, and I had boxes in there in plain sight). Nowhere else....locked or unlocked.

Being that many apartments are situated in lower income areas it's like wearing a 'rip me off' sign, the secure garage just seems to be asking for it even more....

TO is fine. I like it. I hope the OP finds a nice safe place but I'd just recommend looking around a lot and considering a place temporarily at first. It's hard to find the right place here. It's expensive and the stakes are higher if you commit.

I'm not sure why things get so personal on the Ventura boards though. I guess people are just really passionate about their particular place. I appreciated everyones input and am turned off by the meaness from all different angles. It's weird.

Sorry TO, I'm sorry I left my car unlocked and I'm sorry it bothered me that people ripped me off.. I should expect to get ripped off! I should expect thuggery and theivery to be the default mode of people if I let my guard down for one minute in a 'secure' location even!

LOL, you know how we are by now...LOL, glad you got moved in. Hope everything else will go swimmingly smooth!

Old 06-08-2011, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Theft is more common here than most all places I've lived (only in the city of Chicago did my car get broken into, and I had boxes in there in plain sight).
Right, the crime statistics are all a big lie, there is a national conspiracy to insure that Thousand Oaks consistently ranks in the top 10 safest mid sized cities.

Crime rates, including theft, are much higher in Spokane, Washington. Heck, crime is even noticeably lower in Oxnard than Spokane.

Anyhow, the only thing I'm passionate about is accuracy and your comments aren't reality based.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:39 AM

3,455 posts, read 8,340,191 times
my reality is based on my education and experience. I was never robbed in 6 months in Spokane, San Antonio, New Braunfels, TX, Naples, FL nor suburban Chicago, Minnesota, Wisconsin....

Yes, I believe there are some situational, enviornmental, reporting and geography related reasons that the criem rate appears so low. I do believe it's one of the safer parts of Southern California and I believe theft is a bigger issue here than other types of crime. And the OP is probably interested in hearing about very real experiences here. It's not to demonize the place. It's to say it's not outside the influence of LA and problems unique to Southern California.

But it's interesting how many people have expert opinions of places they have never lived, such as Spokane and probably places they have never even been to.

But the OP wasn't asking me about Spokane and apartments in Spokane, so the crime rate in Spokane is really irrelevant.

Old 06-08-2011, 06:17 AM

1,631 posts, read 4,223,464 times
Wait, someone left their car unlocked, it got "broken" into and they're upset about it? My guess is that some kids saw it was unlocked and had some fun. There isn't a whole lot to do in T.O. and sometimes rich kids do dumb things. Also, when mommy and daddy don't give them enough allowance, and they need to buy their drugs, what do you expect?

Either that, or you live in the St. Charles apartments area.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:14 AM

1,465 posts, read 5,145,886 times
I didn't catch where she was upset, but getting your car broken into is a rude welcoming to any city. Theft does happen and when it does, it is a feeling of violation more than a loss of possessions.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:58 AM

1,631 posts, read 4,223,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownVentura View Post
I didn't catch where she was upset, but getting your car broken into is a rude welcoming to any city. Theft does happen and when it does, it is a feeling of violation more than a loss of possessions.
Well of course. My house was broken into months after moving into it in Thousand Oaks. My parents still live there 20 some years later. It doesn't mean that it isn't safe. It may not have even been a career criminal. You leave your car unlocked, things happen.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
my reality is based on my education and experience. I was never robbed in 6 months in Spokane, San Antonio, New Braunfels, TX, Naples, FL nor suburban Chicago, Minnesota, Wisconsin....
So what? Whether you get robbed within 1 week, 6 months, 2 years, 10 years or never doesn't tell you anything about overall crime rates.

I lived for years in a very high crime city, yet I was never robbed, etc. Does that mean its safe? No....

Quote:
It's to say it's not outside the influence of LA and problems unique to Southern California.
Thousand Oaks is part of the greater Los Angeles area, of course its within the influence of Los Angeles. But so what? LA is home to numerous safe communities and its one of the safest large cities in the nation.

Quote:
But the OP wasn't asking me about Spokane and apartments in Spokane, so the crime rate in Spokane is really irrelevant.
You may want to keep a better track of your comments, you stated that "Theft is more common here than most all places I've lived" and this is why I mentioned crime in Spokane, WA as it was your previous location. Your comment is so grossly inaccurate that its a bit crazy, even Oxnard has significantly less thefts than Spokane. There are around 4,300 thefts per 100,000 in Spokane and only 1,500 per 100,000 in Oxnard. Thousand Oaks has around 1,100 per 100,0000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County