Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 10:04 AM

20 posts, read 85,513 times

Advertisements

I may be working in the area for a short term ( less than 6 months) assignment. What are the people like? How about crime? Safe areas to live? Is there much to do? Good gyms to workout at? Any input would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 10:36 AM

1,465 posts, read 5,146,869 times
If you are a bicyclist, bring your bike. Lots of terrific places to ride, like: Jalama Beach or to Buellton on to Solvang, etc

Old 06-13-2011, 10:40 AM

1,549 posts, read 4,256,869 times
Funny thread....I am on my way there now...is there anything I can check on for you there? Please let me know. I go there for business often. My friend's mother lives there and she can answer anything about the area. Just let me know.

Old 06-13-2011, 05:32 PM

Thanks!

Yes, are there any quality fitness centers/yoga studios,
health food stores (I know there isn't a trader Joe's),
anything else similar to Lassens in Ventura or a whole foods,
what are the people like, areas to avoid renting an apartment,
decent places to rent/live for a single female,
can you "see" the mountains and or the ocean ? I had an assignment in the central valley which was quite dreary!

Someone posted there are plenty of bike trails which is a plus!

thanks so much!

Old 06-13-2011, 05:34 PM

How about Orcutt? Is there more to do there than Lompoc?

Old 06-15-2011, 07:43 AM

I'm in Lompoc right now. If I were to buy a house in this area, I'd probably do it in the LaPurisma housing track off H Street. I have only seen a few apartment complexes on Ocean Avenue and I don't know that area well enough to say go for it or not. Regarding gyms, I saw some fitness centers on Central Avenue near Walmart. As far as shopping here, not much is here at all..they have Walmart but no Target. A lot of people travel to Santa Maria to shop is what I am told.

Driving to Lompoc from Ventura County is a nice scenic drive especially when you take Highway 1 from 101 to Lompoc. I have seen nothing but rolling hills here but if you drive down Ocean Avenue, you should be able to see the ocean. They have a Fresh and Easy grocery store here along with the usual Vons and Albertsons.

Last night I drove by the Allen Hancock College and there is a nice trail for public use there. I didn't use it but it looked nice from what I can tell.

I will say you will probably be bored here but it might be ok depending on what you like. This is a small hometown feel area. I went out to dinner at the Jetty last night and it was not usual to see the waittress knowing everyone's name and hugging them.

Let me know if you need anything else. Plenty of places to eat here though...

Old 06-15-2011, 05:34 PM

Hi, thank you for the input!

I will be in Lompoc for a temporary 3 month position, so I'll be renting an apartment. I spoke with a co-worker who recommended living in Vandenberg Village or he mentioned others commute from Santa Maria which he said was about 20minutes away. ( 20 miles via google) Any thoughts on the "village" area?

There are not many stores in Lompoc, as you mentioned, but if SM is close then I suppose the commute in shouldn't be too bad. I enjoy cycling, hiking ,etc so the area may be good for those types of activities. Any more input would be great! Thanks so much!

Old 06-15-2011, 08:44 PM

I was going to recommend Vandenberg Village as well...I passed by there this morning and forgot to mention it to you earlier!

I am guessing you will be working at Vandenberg...if so, Lompoc is about 8 miles away depending on where you live and it's about 20-25 miles or so to Santa Maria.

Good luck to you!

Old 06-17-2011, 09:23 PM

thanks for the input!

Old 06-17-2011, 09:51 PM

Anytime!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County