Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 03:51 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,087,251 times

Advertisements

1.) No, around half of Californians weren't born in California. If you get any "nose snubbing" it will be due to your underlying way of thinking, behaving, etc.
2.) Not sure how to answer this..
3.) Other than fast-food I don't eat out much, I find most restaurants here to be glorified fast food with 2~3x the price. No favorite digs here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 04:09 PM

699 posts, read 1,344,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms-java View Post
3. Great restaurants, markets, grocery stores. I know Ventura County is a large area, but some places you just can't pass up! So share your favorite digs.

Thanks!
3. there's a thread for that... Ventura County is definitely a foodie area. Hundreds of authentic restaurants, ~20 wineries and a robust set of certified farmers markets in Ventura County - this is the most popular: VENTURA COUNTY CERTIFIED FARMERS' MARKET ASSOCIATION

There are others, generally specific to the community. Ventura has two more (one certified in east Vta and another non-certified at the College).

For traditional fare, Lassen's is an excellent Whole Foods alternative, and there are quite a few Trader Joe's.

On restaurants, follow this thread on Facebook: //www.facebook.com/vcseats

The statement that "there are no good restaurants" in the county is just false.

'MasterChef' Competitor Adrien Nieto is from Ventura; Tim Kilcoyne of Sidecar/Local Cafe was filmed this week on 'Bringing it Home with Laura McIntosh'; 'Outstanding in the Field' has a number of tour dates in Ventura County; we produce a material chunk of the agriculture consumed by the state and the US; etc etc etc.

You have to take it in context - user_id is an unabashed McDonald's fan. 'nuff said.

Old 06-29-2011, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenSky View Post
Ventura County is definitely a foodie area. Hundreds of authentic restaurants
Um....perhaps to someone from a small mid-western city. There is a serious lack of unique and professionally run restaurants in Ventura County, calling it a "foodie area" is just weird.

Quote:
The statement that "there are no good restaurants" in the county is just false. You have to take it in context - user_id is an unabashed McDonald's fan. 'nuff said.
Not sure how this is taking it in context. The fact that you think enjoying a big mac says anything is a statement of snobbery, not culinary knowledge.

What one finds "good" is related to what they've experienced, nobody knowledgeable in the culinary arts is going to consider Ventura County a "foodie area". I mean, c'mon, you can't even find authentic ethnic cuisine in Ventura County (with the exception of Mexican of course). Just Americanized junk...

Now, you may find the food here great, but I don't. Not sure why you have such an issue with people with opposing views. And ugh...."a food area"...don't get it.

Old 06-29-2011, 04:34 PM

Weird? Wow, I guess you should call the newspaper of record and tell them it's weird too.

'Foodies' meet in Heritage Square to promote Wine Trail

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Now, you may find the food here great, but I don't. Not sure why you have such an issue with people with opposing views.
No, you make an ignorant statement by saying there are no good restaurants at all in Ventura County. That's a net cast over hundreds and hundreds of eateries. There are good ones and bad ones. To ignore that reflects your black & white mentality.

Quote:
And ugh...."a food area"...don't get it.
Yes, this topic like many others, is one you really "don't get."

Old 06-29-2011, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Weird? Wow, I guess you should call the newspaper of record and tell them it's weird too.
What's weird? That there is wine tasting in Ventura County? No, nothing weird about that. On the other hand referring to Ventura County has a "foodie area" is just weird...

But look, if you want to consider the food here great that's fine, I prefer to cook at home because I'm a more knowledgeable chef that the vast majority of folks cooking in Ventura County Restaurants. I eat out only for the convenience factor, hence why I almost always go to fast food instead of restaurants that are serving glorified fast food. Also, nowhere in my above most did I say "all restaurants in Ventura County are bad", instead I implied that the food as a whole wasn't very good here.

Foodie area....now I've heard everything. Anyhow, you think the food here is good and I don't, not sure what the issue is here.

Old 06-29-2011, 05:11 PM

Quote:
What's weird? That there is wine tasting in Ventura County? No, nothing weird about that. On the other hand referring to Ventura County has a "foodie area" is just weird...

But look, if you want to consider the food here great that's fine, I prefer to cook at home because I'm a more knowledgeable chef that the vast majority of folks cooking in Ventura County Restaurants. I eat out only for the convenience factor, hence why I almost always go to fast food instead of restaurants that are serving glorified fast food. Also, nowhere in my above most did I say "all restaurants in Ventura County are bad", instead I implied that the food as a whole wasn't very good here.

Foodie area....now I've heard everything. Anyhow, you think the food here is good and I don't, not sure what the issue is here.
the thrust of the article is there is a foodie culture in Ventura County. The word is used 4x.

Old 06-29-2011, 05:25 PM

Quote:
the thrust of the article is there is a foodie culture in Ventura County. The word is used 4x.
It was an event to promote local wines, why you are trying to use it to support your claim that Ventura County is a "foodie area" is beyond me.

Moving from a local wine event to the idea that Ventura County is a "foodie area" takes a profound amount of exaggeration. But whatever, you think the food is this area is good and I think its poor. You can spend your money in the local restaurants and I'll keep making great food at home for much less.

Old 06-29-2011, 05:30 PM

If there wasn't an active food culture, why would the Star put together a VCS Eats column and staff ? Why would they use the word "foodie" and not "wine connoisseur" in the article ? Why would they have quotes like these?

Quote:
Attendees were highlighting what some call the "new foodie culture" in Ventura County even in tough economic times.
Quote:
"We have great food and wine in the county."
Quote:
Bernadette Ignacio of Camarillo said: "This county really needs a foodie reason to gather. There's so much going on here." Ignacio writes about food and wine on her blog.
Quote:
"There really is a foodie culture here, and this is proof of it."
"Weird" indeed.

Let's hear it, ThreadAssassin! Dare you to give someone else the last word! It might prevent you from making a fool of yourself.

Last edited by HSP1161; 06-29-2011 at 05:47 PM..

Old 06-30-2011, 12:27 AM

1,320 posts, read 2,699,195 times
I was just a lurkin', but all this talk of food has gotten me hungry! Now I'm gonna break my diet and EAT!! hee hee ...

Last edited by katnip kid; 06-30-2011 at 12:47 AM..

Old 06-30-2011, 12:33 AM

1,320 posts, read 2,699,195 times
Speaking of food, I purchased California olive oil today, instead of the imported oil. I wanted to buy American. Besides, maybe it'll help California's economy. Now, I am in the mood for ...really great authentic thick crusty Italian bread and olives....mmmm, and cheese too. Just like what my Italian grandmother would have gotten at an Italian market.
Forget the diet.
Is there an authentic Italian bakery out your way?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County