Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 10:01 AM

4 posts, read 8,305 times

Advertisements

I am potentially being transferred from St Louis to Oxnard. To help me understand what I am getting into and to help with my decision, I am hoping members of this forum can help me out. It looks like I could be working on the west side of Oxnard south of 101, north of Pacific Coast. I think around West Village.

First, what area to live in and the cost of living there? We will likely be downsizing when moving, so will be looking for a 2-3 bedroom with ~1500 square ft. I would prefer to spend ~$250K, but am hoping you can tell me if this is reasonable without living in a run down house or area. We want a nice neighborhood to live in, but I really don't have a good perspective on the cost.

The weather is a plus. Today it is 100 degrees and humid in St louis. I gather from the various posts that the weather fluxuates based on where you are, so we are looking for someplace that is pleasent. Oxnard's low 70s are very appealing when it is 100 out.

We are hoping for someplace that has a little character and plenty of young professionals. One of the things we enjoy where we currently live (we live in the heart of the city, not the suburbs) is the unique, small restuarants, bars, etc. with not a chain restuarant in sight. That really appeals to us. Also, the residents are diverse, so we are use to different people, colors, and cultures around.

My wife and I have no children, but a couple of dogs, so will want a place where we can let them play outside.

I am also looking to keep my commute around 30 minutes or less.

--- So, any advice on preferred areas?

Second question is the job market. My wife is a paralegal, so what are her chances of finding a paralegal job or some kind of admin job? I don't know much about the California job market, so would be interested in hearing others thoughts on this.

Thanks in advance and I appreciate the guidance.
CA2011
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 10:23 AM

388 posts, read 849,150 times
Im sure you are already well aware of the change of the cost of living between the two areas.

Oxnard is a beautiful city with great weather and I love stopping there when I'm passing thorugh. Its thriving with great new shopping centers all throughout the area. I cant tell you specifics of what neighborhood to live in, but I can assure you 250K is going to be tight for a decent house in that area, or anywhere in CA for that matter. Most of Oxnard has great character as old oceanside city, and expecially coming from a midwest town, you will love how it is very "Californian".

There are some chain restaurants in the area, but California as a whole is very accepting of its local restaurants and there are plenty of them. There are plenty outdoor activities and oceanside parks with beaches your dogs will love. Some other areas to look at that you might like are Ventura and the southern suburbs of Santa Barbara like Carpenteria. I cant speak much on the job market, but Im sure someone will. Good luck with your move.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:26 AM

89 posts, read 421,260 times
For housing Zillow works well to get some idea of prices and I agree that $250k is going to be hard to find; Oxnard CA Homes for Sale & Oxnard Real Estate - Zillow

It is pretty easy to find the average weather statistics but I have friends and family all over the US and Ventua Co. may have the best moderate weather where the temperature range is about 50 to 75 degrees year around because of the ocean.

I agree with jifie that you might like downtown or midtown Ventura where you will find many of the things you enjoy.I don't know about the job market in your wife's profession. You could look at Craigslist for jobs in Ventura Co. http://ventura.craigslist.org/jjj/

Old 07-29-2011, 11:42 PM

1,549 posts, read 4,257,511 times
I moved from Saint Louis to Oxnard....coincidence huh!!! Where did you live in the city? I went to SLU so I'm familiar with the CWE since I lived on Lindell at one time.

For $250K, you might be able to find a decent condo or a foreclosure around that price. I'm in Riverpark which is a newer community. I like it a lot. Been here a few years....I moved to Oxnard a little over 10 years ago and haven't looked back.

Old 07-30-2011, 04:59 AM

LadyKLO. I know Lindel well. I live on the other side of SLU in Tower Grove area.

Old 07-30-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA2011 View Post
LadyKLO. I know Lindel well. I live on the other side of SLU in Tower Grove area.
Ok, I know where that is! Do you know when you will potentially be moving to this area?

Old 07-30-2011, 11:46 AM

We will probably be looking to move in the next 3-4 months. We are starting to consider renting, hoping to perhaps find a small 2 br bungalow or something similiar.

Old 07-30-2011, 11:56 AM

36 posts, read 85,248 times
CA2011, you're going to love the area! Even in this economic recession, Oxnard is thriving. From your interests, just like LadyKLO, I believe the new Riverpark community in northwest Oxnard adjacent to the 101 fwy (but you won't hear the traffic!) would be a suitable place for you, your wife, and plenty of open park areas for your dogs. They just opened a brand new Target Superstore, and a WholeFoods and other establishments are planning to open afterwards. You can find an eclectic menu of restaurants and shops in nearby Ventura, Oxnard, and Camarillo. Especially near the scenic harbors. Santa Barbara is less than an hour away north on the 101fwy and cosmopolitan L.A. just over an hour south. Great beaches, hiking, and other outdoor activities in the beautiful, cool year round weather. It never goes above 90 degrees here!
Now the job market can be a problem. California is broke and unemployment is still high. I'm sure your wife can find a job somewhere in Ventura County with her parallegal/admin experience. Good luck!

Check out these sites for Oxnard, Ventura, and Camarillo:
Oxnard News
Oxnard CVB
River Park Overview
Ventura CVB
City of Camarillo

Old 07-30-2011, 06:03 PM

Great post NardforLife!

Old 08-01-2011, 12:49 PM

699 posts, read 1,344,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA2011 View Post
We are hoping for someplace that has a little character and plenty of young professionals. One of the things we enjoy where we currently live (we live in the heart of the city, not the suburbs) is the unique, small restuarants, bars, etc. with not a chain restuarant in sight. That really appeals to us.
You will likely gravitate to midtown and downtown Ventura. The price range will be an issue. We know some folks that have braved the Avenue / "Westside" to buy in that range but there are safety issues on that side of town.

There are plenty of rentals in the area but the good ones get snapped up quickly. Lots of 2+1 home rentals in midtown Ventura that are quite walkable to shops, the beach and downtown. The ratio of authentic/non-chain restaurants : chains is at least 5:1 , and even higher downtown (perhaps as high as 20:1).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County