Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 11:13 AM

29 posts, read 43,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Just as a clarification... "the Church" itself wasn't. Many members of the Church, at the encouragement of the Church, were. As a Mormon myself, I was very disappointed to see my church get involved in this issue by requesting its members support the proposition. This may seem like a fine line to some people, but to a member of the Church who did not support the proposition, I can at least be satisfied that none of my contributions to the Church (i.e. my tithing, etc.) went to support the proposition.
When "the church" encourages their members to support something, the church is playing very loose with honesty. I applaud you for your stand. My grandmother was raised Mormon and her family goes back to Nauvoo, plus I have had friends that are Mormon so I have been around the teachings most of my life. I mostly find Mormons to be very good people, but this support of Prop 8 soured me severely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 07:25 PM

28,100 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormbow View Post
When "the church" encourages their members to support something, the church is playing very loose with honesty. I applaud you for your stand. My grandmother was raised Mormon and her family goes back to Nauvoo, plus I have had friends that are Mormon so I have been around the teachings most of my life. I mostly find Mormons to be very good people, but this support of Prop 8 soured me severely.
I can understand that, and trust me, I'm not the only one who feels that way.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:38 PM

1,549 posts, read 4,257,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I doubt there are many places in this country where the general population is openly hostile toward gay people outside of very rural areas. But I lived with my partner for 10 years in Orange County and it did not at all feel gay friendly. We knew a fair number of neighbors and no one ever asked us if we were a couple and referred to us as "roommates". A couple neighbors would make rude comments to make sure we knew they disapproved of gay people (guess they were assuming we were gay?), there were no gay bars anywhere near us (not that that mattered to us since we don't go out to bars), our school district went into an uproar when a couple high school students wanted to start a "gay straight alliance", and in my place of employment, not a single "out" person in the company - meaning if you're gay, you keep it hidden at work. And I did find out that one executive level man was gay, but went so far as to keep a picture of a "fake girlfriend" on his desk. This is what I call a not so gay-friendly environment. It wasn't oppressive, but we left because we wanted kids and didn't want to raise them in such an environment.

So we moved to Denver where there are gay people everywhere, we now have kids and there are many other same sex couples in our neighborhood with kids, the straight parent families are completely accepting of us, I'm out at work and there are plenty of other out employees, and the city itself has a vocal gay community and lots of bars, organizations, etc. I would definitely call Denver a gay-friendly city.
Thanks for posting on this thread. You are right...not too many people will be openly hostile. I don't see the point in why a person needs to go out of their way to let someone know they are hated, not liked or whatever...that is just mean!!! The gay/lesbian people that I know have had no issues at work being out. One of my coworkers who is gay retired today after 40 years. He didn't hide who he was at all. He was who he was. Oxnard is rather tiny compared to Denver. I suspect there is a gay community here but it's probably just small in numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County