U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 07:13 AM

13 posts, read 60,583 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My husband's job is relocating to WLV. Our price range for a house is apprx 380k max. I know this is bottom dollar for any area even remotely close unless we want to live in an outhouse.

For some reason I have been attached to staying on the Ventura County side like TO, Simi Valley, Newbury Park, Moorpark, etc because I have read how safe and nice it is. We did have a very brief visit and thought TO was very pretty.

Does anyone have an opinion about going the same distance, but in the other direction over LA County? Are there equally safe relaxed areas in that direction? My husband suggested we look there because we are both vegan and he thought we might be closer to good food places. We don't have kids so schools are of no importance.

Help is appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 07:50 AM

1,631 posts, read 3,901,691 times
From what I understand, L.A. Co. utilities are higher and so is sales tax. I'm not sure if there are more but I've only know of Follow Your Heart as far as vegan restaurants go in the valley. You'll find Trader Joe's and Whole Foods all over the place, though. Also in Thousand Oaks there is a health food market called Lassen's that has vegan items.

But, being on the l.a. co. side will put you closer to other vegan places, but not much closer. I'm also not sure what gas prices are like in the valley vs. VC.

I would suggest doing a search on google or something and look at places you would frequent for shopping and dining and then also compare the gas prices and taxes and what not. They valley might be right for you but ugh, that commute... no thank you!

Old 07-29-2011, 08:06 AM

Thank you for the reply!

So the commute from the LA County side to WLV area is worse than say from Simi Valley? Also, what about safer communities?

I knew the taxes were higher, but is the housing comparable on both bordering sides?

Where do you live Mr Bungle?

Old 07-29-2011, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganvixen View Post
Thank you for the reply!

So the commute from the LA County side to WLV area is worse than say from Simi Valley? Also, what about safer communities?

I knew the taxes were higher, but is the housing comparable on both bordering sides?

Where do you live Mr Bungle?
I would say for the commute, I may have been wrong. Looking at sigalert.com right now (7:40 PST) it appears pretty clear going into Ventura County. It is Friday, though. I lived in the east end of Simi commuting into Westlake Village (Lindero Canyon exit) and it wasn't terrible. It kept moving and wasn't really stop and go.

I also lived in Camarillo and commuted into WLV and could go a few different ways, one of which never touched the freeway.

I can't quite remember on how bad traffic is on the 101 coming from the valley, over the hill into the Westlake area but I'm pretty sure it wasn't great. Others on here may have more info. I'm almost certain that it gets equally bad going both directions on the 101.

As far as the housing thing, I'm not terribly familiar with the market out there since I only rented. I would have a look on realtor.com at the surrounding areas and your price range. I have a good feeling that a lot of townhomes will pop up, though.

I grew up in Thousand Oaks, rented in Simi Valley and Camarillo, and now own a home in Dallas, TX.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:45 AM

Thanks MrBungle. I was under the impression you lived in the area. Thanks for trying to help.

Anyone local can help?

Old 07-29-2011, 12:00 PM

I lived in the area for 27 years.

Old 07-29-2011, 12:19 PM

12,470 posts, read 18,617,255 times
Quote:
Does anyone have an opinion about going the same distance, but in the other direction over LA County? Are there equally safe relaxed areas in that direction? My husband suggested we look there because we are both vegan and he thought we might be closer to good food places. We don't have kids so schools are of no importance.
The Conejo Valley is both is both Ventura and LA county. The city of Westlake Village is in LA county, but "Westlake village" is also used to refer to the part of Thousand oaks that is on the Ventura/LA county border (and hence connected to Westlake village the city) The reason for the confusion is that "Westlake Village" use to be an unincorporated area in both LA and Ventura county, the LA county part was later incorporated into the city of "Westlake Village" and the Ventura part was annexed by Thousand oaks.

So yes, there are areas in the other direction, both Agoura Hills and Calabasas are similar to Thousand Oaks in terms of safety, etc. But once you get out of the Conejo Valley and into the San Fernando Valley it gets safe. There are some safe neighborhoods in the San Fernando Valley, but they are very much out of your budget.

Quote:
That depends where you are, the commute to Westlake Village from anywhere in the Conejo Valley is going to be short and without much traffic. But the commute from Los Angeles (the city) can be rough unless you are right up against the border, for example in Woodland Hills area.

There is often traffic between Simi and Westlake during rush hour (on the 23), so that commute isn't entirely without problems. Unless you are trying to save money, I wouldn't bother with Simi Valley.

Housing is likely to cost more in LA county. And your budget is really on the low end, you're not going to get much for $380k and you may want to think about renting instead.

Anyhow, I know nothing in terms of vegan restaurants, etc so can't help there.

Old 07-29-2011, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Housing is likely to cost more in LA county. And your budget is really on the low end, you're not going to get much for $380k and you may want to think about renting instead.
Thank you so much. I have seen (online) some decent houses in our price range in Simi Valley, Newbury Park, Moorpark and a few in TO. Our realtor is confident we can find something. It is shocking to think we wouldn't. Holy crap CA is expensive!

Old 07-29-2011, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bungle View Post
I lived in the area for 27 years.

Why did you leave?

What is your opinion regarding our price range of 380k?

Old 07-29-2011, 02:52 PM

12,470 posts, read 18,617,255 times
Quote:
Thank you so much. I have seen (online) some decent houses in our price range in Simi Valley, Newbury Park, Moorpark and a few in TO. Our realtor is confident we can find something. It is shocking to think we wouldn't. Holy crap CA is expensive!
You may be able to find a decent smaller home in Moorpark or Simi for $380k, but in Thousand Oaks it will be very difficult unless you are okay with a condo. Also, Newbury Park is just a region of Thousand Oaks. Although none of these cities have really bad areas, they do have areas that are more desirable than others. Most of what you find in the $300k range is going to be in the less desirable neighborhoods.

Anyhow, renting is cheaper than buying right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County