Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 03:31 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,264,084 times

Advertisements

First, what area to live in and the cost of living there? We will likely be downsizing when moving, so will be looking for a 2-3 bedroom with ~1500 square ft. I would prefer to spend ~$250K, but am hoping you can tell me if this is reasonable without living in a run down house or area. We want a nice neighborhood to live in, but I really don't have a good perspective on the cost.

I have seen some homes in that range. The lower the price the quicker they sell though. My neighborhood is in the $300 range. We are in the north end in a desirable area. Our home was built in 1962. Still we love it.

The weather is a plus. Today it is 100 degrees and humid in St louis. I gather from the various posts that the weather fluxuates based on where you are, so we are looking for someplace that is pleasent. Oxnard's low 70s are very appealing when it is 100 out.

Something else to consider when you make a housing budget. We don't have AC in most of the homes. They may in Riverpark where LadyKLO lives but for the most part homes don't have AC or a need for them. My electic bill last month was $32. Infact my gas bill was $28 and my water and sewer bill was $124.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 07:48 PM

4 posts, read 8,292 times
Wow, I hadn't thought about the electric/gas aspect of it. My monthly gas and electric currently run ~$100 each all year long.

What does an approximately $1,500-1,700/month rental get me in Ventura and Oxnard?

Old 08-02-2011, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA2011 View Post
What does an approximately $1,500-1,700/month rental get me in Ventura and Oxnard?
A very nice apartment or a condo. I think that the average cost of a 2 bedroom 1 bath is $1,400 or somewhere around there. You may find a home in the $1,800 range but most I have seen are in the $2,000 and up range. With condos it just depends. Many have garages but not all do.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:58 PM

1,297 posts, read 1,815,288 times
SOONTOBNSURPRISE - I've done a search but I'm still not certain of the area(s) to stay away from. I believe you have mentioned "Colonia", are you referring to the street or is there an area with that name? Also, if you don't mind, what area do you live in? I know you say north but is it east of the 101 or west?
Zip codes of most favorable areas would be helpful - our budget is 300 to 325K. We are looking for SFR, not condos and don't like Riverpark (no offense to those that do!).
Thank you for your help.

Old 08-02-2011, 03:15 PM

Here is a breakdown of Oxnard

I live in the North West neighborhood. Many consider that to be the best part of the city, especially if you can not afford to live on the beach.

The North East neighborhood includes Colonia and Rose Park. You probably don't want to live there. Rio Lindo, West and East Village are fine.

The South West side is nice but the closer you get to the ocean the more money you will spend. On the beach you could spend upto the $5 mill mark. The more desirable parts that are not at the beach are closer to the airport. Lots of newer homes but they may be out of your range. Via Marina may fit your budget and its not a bad area at all.

If you want to be in Central Oxnard I would choose the Wilson neighborhood. Lots of turn of the century homes (early 1900), Many restored.

In South Central the Redwood tract is your best bet.

In South East I would stay near Pleasent Valley Estates and the Collage park area.

El Rio makes up most of the Del Norte Neighborhood. The closer you are to Vineyard the better. River Park is in that area and I like the area but don't want to live in an attatched home. You could also try near Rio Mesa High School. It is older but very quiet.

Don't discount Port Hueneme because it is surrounded by South Oxnard. Lots of nice areas there as well.

Last edited by SOON2BNSURPRISE; 08-02-2011 at 03:31 PM..

Old 08-03-2011, 08:32 AM

1,297 posts, read 1,815,288 times
Many thanks for the info and the map is just great!

Old 08-04-2011, 09:04 PM

36 posts, read 85,057 times
.....And if you really want a bird's eye view of Oxnard and the surrounding cities, I would highly suggest Google Earth. The Google Mobile recently made an extensive trip around Oxnard streets (I even caught them pass by my house!). Now I can see my home close up, it's creepy and awesome at the same time. But you can get a better view of how specific neighborhoods look like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County