Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 05:58 PM

1,549 posts, read 4,257,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Not missing any point, you are comparing apples to oranges. When you eat out you are paying for the food, labor and dining environment. If you made those "value meals" at home they would be dramatically cheaper.

A burger and fries made at home is around ~$1.50/per meal. Add ~$.30 for some soda...

I'm not sure how healthy eating has anything to do with eating out or at home. There are plenty of healthy options when eating out, even McDonalds has them. And there is plenty of junk at grocery stores, indeed most of the store is filled with it.
That is what I am saying...if you make the value meals at home, they are dramatically cheaper...that's all I am implying...

There are plenty of healthy options at McDonald's...a salad that's about $6 or so...you can probably make the salad at home for a fraction of that cost.

I am only saying that it is cheaper to eat at home...even cheaper to eat junk food at home if that is what you desire.

My point is that many people complain that healthy food costs too much when it reality, it doesn't..you just have to cook!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical347 View Post
"Calories" are not the only thing that fills people up; in fact, sometimes you can eat many calories and not be filled up. Fiber fills people up and fruits and veggies are loaded with this.

It's not just women and children. That was based on one article.

I agree that the middle-class also has a huge obesity problem, and they suffer from many of the same issues the poor suffer from.
Awesome post...they won't let me rep you anymore...every morning I eat the same thing and my coworkers LAUGH at me...I eat a vegan bran muffin that has 16 grams of fiber...they laugh but they are hungry all morning chowing down on doughnuts and other stuff packing in the carbs while yours truly is feeling full and fancy free!

Fiber is my friend and I believe I'm one of the few people I know who get more than the daily recommended value...lol....

Fruits and vegetables alone as use_id suggested won't fill a person up but finding a healthy mix of foods high in fiber and having protein sure helps..well, it helps me.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:16 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,087,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKLO View Post
That is what I am saying...if you make the value meals at home, they are dramatically cheaper...that's all I am implying...
Right, cooking at home is cheaper, I don't think anybody thinks otherwise. But you were relating the cost of eating McDonalds value meals to cooking a healthier option at home, if you're trying to compare the costs of eating good vs eating bad (which was the topic) you need to compare apples-to-apples.

Quote:
There are plenty of healthy options at McDonald's...a salad that's about $6 or so...you can probably make the salad at home for a fraction of that cost.
Their side salad is only $1 and their premium salads are around $4.

Quote:
My point is that many people complain that healthy food costs too much when it reality, it doesn't..you just have to cook!
But you don't have to cook, you can eat healthy while eating out for the same costs (or lower) than eating bad while eating out. Apples-to-apples....

Old 10-23-2011, 07:36 PM

Quote:
I eat a vegan bran muffin that has 16 grams of fiber...they laugh but they are hungry all morning chowing down on doughnuts and other stuff packing in the carbs while yours truly is feeling full and fancy free!
You are also packing in the carbs, a bran muffin is mostly carbs. Dietary fiber is a carb....

Old 10-23-2011, 08:08 PM

Quote:
You are also packing in the carbs, a bran muffin is mostly carbs. Dietary fiber is a carb....
Well those darn carbs aka fiber helped me lose 120 pounds....it worked for me..

Old 10-23-2011, 08:42 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,238,959 times
Quote:
Thanks for posting the article. I am personally trying to beat the odds! As of today, I have lost 120 pounds. I still have 40 more to go but I am still a work in progress. The key is to cook and learn to say no to junk foods that will cause your body to expand. Also, I don't buy into the cheaper to eat junk food stigma...it sure is "cheaper" when you find yourself in the hospital with diabetes and other crap like that.

Congrats LadyKLO, way to go! You should be very proud of yourself, it takes a lot of willpower. How long did it take, if you dont mind me asking?

Old 10-23-2011, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Well those darn carbs aka fiber helped me lose 120 pounds....it worked for me..
And those delicious Danishes, eggs, etc keep me nice and thin..... Eating less makes you lose weight, not eating bran.

Anyhow, talking about others "packing in the carbs" when you're eating a high carb food doesn't make much sense.... In fact a bran muffin has more carbs than your typical glazed Donut, indeed, Donuts are more a high fat food than a high carb food in that around 60~70% of the calories comes from fat.

Old 10-23-2011, 09:50 PM

428 posts, read 1,184,655 times
Quote:
Your body needs carbs...they are what give us e energy. There is a big difference between refined carbs and carbs from whole grains. Whole grains are low glycemic index foods and don't spike blood sugar the way refined carbs do.

Old 10-23-2011, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drowningintherain2 View Post
Your body needs carbs...they are what give us e energy.
I never suggested someone should eat zero carbs and your body doesn't need carbs for "energy", it can derive energy from fat....that is after all the point of building up fat in the body... Though, glucose is critical to some parts of the body (e.g., the brain).

I also never suggested that all carbs are identical. But, I wouldn't call the difference "big", the body breaks down carbs into a usable form pretty fast, on the other hand it takes awhile to convert fat into "energy".

Your body will handle that bran muffin much faster than say an omelette, yet the latter is suppose to be "bad for you".

Old 10-24-2011, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeinmo. View Post
Congrats LadyKLO, way to go! You should be very proud of yourself, it takes a lot of willpower. How long did it take, if you dont mind me asking?
Thanks!! Took me about a year to lose the 100 pounds. I started my journey in April 2010 and still working it. I have about 40 more to go. You should check out my before and after pics. I know they are over in the fitness section.

Quote:
And those delicious Danishes, eggs, etc keep me nice and thin..... Eating less makes you lose weight, not eating bran.

Anyhow, talking about others "packing in the carbs" when you're eating a high carb food doesn't make much sense.... In fact a bran muffin has more carbs than your typical glazed Donut, indeed, Donuts are more a high fat food than a high carb food in that around 60~70% of the calories comes from fat.
I don't eat eggs so that's not gonna work for me..

You are right...my bran muffin (the brand I eat) has more calories and carbs......my muffin has 220 calories, 5 grams of fat, 38 carbs and 10 grams of fiber ... (depending on the flavor, some have more grams of fiber)

1 Krispy Kreme (this would be my preferred brand if I were to eat a donut)doughnut has 200 calories, 12 grams of fat and 22 carbs....oh...and less than one gram of fiber. Now, I don't know anyone who can eat just one doughnut..when I was eating them, I needed at least 2...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drowningintherain2 View Post
Your body needs carbs...they are what give us e energy. There is a big difference between refined carbs and carbs from whole grains. Whole grains are low glycemic index foods and don't spike blood sugar the way refined carbs do.
HIGH FIVE!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County