Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2011, 01:54 AM

21 posts, read 40,840 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
My wife and I have extreme sensitivity to pesticides, and need to know whether Thousand Oaks, Woodland Hills, Agoura Hills, etc. are generally known for heavy use of pesticides, or are they "clean"? This is a serious problem, as so many areas use them indiscrimintely, and making many people very sick.

Please let me know if there are areas you know of that are more environmentally aware, and NOT using pesticides like crazy.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 04:04 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,655,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachm35 View Post
Hi everyone,
My wife and I have extreme sensitivity to pesticides, and need to know whether Thousand Oaks, Woodland Hills, Agoura Hills, etc. are generally known for heavy use of pesticides, or are they "clean"? This is a serious problem, as so many areas use them indiscrimintely, and making many people very sick.

Please let me know if there are areas you know of that are more environmentally aware, and NOT using pesticides like crazy.

How would you really ever know?

Agricultural Areas are apt to have large scale use... but, then again, the State has sprayed hundreds of tons over the years combating pests...

I hated it because my car would be pelted with malathion.

A friend that is super sensitive had to move to the coast... she now lives in the Northern California town of Pacifica... there is almost always an on-shore breeze and fog is prevalent... her allergies and sensitivities are well in check... she could no longer live the the Inland Empire area... it would leave her debilitated for weeks on end in the non rainy season.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 11-09-2011 at 08:23 PM..

Old 11-09-2011, 08:34 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,850,403 times
Quote:
Hi everyone,

I'm right with you on that issue!
I'd contact the city government of the communities you're considering to get the real deal about pesticide use.

Old 11-12-2011, 07:19 PM

21 posts, read 40,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
I'm right with you on that issue!
I'd contact the city government of the communities you're considering to get the real deal about pesticide use.

Thanks jaijai,
How are things in Santa Cruz, pesticide-wise? I had heard there were some problems with aerial spraying. Is that still happening? Are there a lot of agricultural areas nearby? Thanks for your input!

Old 11-12-2011, 11:18 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,850,403 times
Quote:
Thanks jaijai,
How are things in Santa Cruz, pesticide-wise? I had heard there were some problems with aerial spraying. Is that still happening? Are there a lot of agricultural areas nearby? Thanks for your input!
There is a lot of agriculture in Watsonville but Santa Cruz county in general is very green, very organic and people were up in arms a couple of years ago when California was planning to do a state wide spray for the Light Green Apple Moth.
(is that the spraying you're referring to?)
Santa Cruz county was on the forefront of fighting that issue and the protest was really strong.
The county was sprayed just once and then the whole plan (a really, really bad one) to eradicate the LGAM was halted everywhere in California.
Whenever there is an environmental issue you can be sure that there will be a strong voice against it in Santa Cruz.
Smart Meters were (is) the latest issue and again, S.C. county fought hard against it but alas, it may be a losing battle with PG&E and the gov.

Old 11-13-2011, 05:32 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,743,760 times
I would think that 1) since most of TO is now residential and open space and not agricultural and 2) since most of TO is relatively dry (bugs love humidity and water) that there isn't a lot of pesticide use compared to those places that are agricultural or humid. You don't see these driving down the roads at night in TO:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County