Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 10:58 PM

241 posts, read 995,832 times

Advertisements

I lived in the Ojai Ventura area from 1969 to 1991. I grew up at Casitas Dam and graduated from VHS in '86. I now have lived in Idaho for the past 15 yrs and have missed Ventura/Ojai very much. I miss the fresh veggies and the mountains and all of the trails to ride on, the smell of the beach ,but not the traffic. I have been to SLO many many times and it is a place that I would not choose to live due to some of the "snobs" that live there. I use to show my Arab mare in SLO, Santa Maria, Ojai, Semi and Camarillo, Santa Barbara and LA but ran into more of the "I am better than you" types in the SLO and SY areas. Ventura was always down to earth the same as Ojai, true they had their snobs too but not like I ran into in SLO.

Now that being said, Idaho is full of more snobs than you ever want to run into. I have been treated like crap from the day that I arrived cuz I am from CA, and I am very proud of it. The only reason why I left Cali was that I got married to a man from ID and he wanted to be close to his family and I didn't really have family otherwise I would still be in CA.

No offence intended to anyone this is all JMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2007, 12:54 PM

1 posts, read 2,908 times
What Is Going On With Rents?? I Live In Citrus Glen Apartments And The Landlord Has Raised Our Rents 14% In One Shot. They Are Claiming That All The Other Comparable Units In The Area Have Gone Up That Much. But The Cost Of Living Has Only Gone Up 3% And I See No Shortage Of Units. As A Matter Of Fact, I See A Lot Of New Rental Unit Under Construction All Around Me In Ventura!!
It Appears That The Apartment Owners Are Colluding To Create A Monopoly To Raise Rents.
That Is The Only Logical Answer!!!
Maybe We Need To Talk To City Council About Rent Controls Since That Is The Only Way To Fight Back.
If This Continues We--as Tenants--need To Collude To Fight Fire With Fire.
Do I Hear "rent Control"???????

Old 04-23-2011, 03:11 PM

1 posts, read 2,147 times
Hey, I had to chime in....My fiance and I are originally from North Bay area, me from Marin County and he is from Santa Rosa area. We met almost 3 years ago here in Florida and ever since we got together, and since I was old enough to think independently I/we have wanted to get back to Cali!

Your post totally sounds as though I could have written it! I recently graduated with my M.Ed. Mental Health Counseling, and there are not only any jobs here, but I just can't stand the people. I work at Barnes and Nobles in Boca Raton so I'm currently trying to get a transfer to a store in Ventura County! Until recently I didn't think we could afford it, but with 2 of us, I feel pretty good that we can make it work!

I wish you the best of luck!

Old 04-23-2011, 04:52 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,189,663 times
Here is where we collect a slew of one post wonders that help resurect old out of date posts.

recent information shows that people can now afford to live in the Oxnard, Ventura area. Sure it may be expensive for some but not what it cost when New2Ventura posted almost 4 years ago. By the way that was the only post that N2V ever made.

Just for reference homes are selling for less than half what they sold for back then. Rents are not half but they are not out of line.

Old 04-24-2011, 07:20 AM

11,558 posts, read 11,988,792 times
Interesting comment about areas of CA selling for less than half the amount they were 4 years ago; and I agree the housing prices have lowered in portions of CA. However, even half the asking price is more than most can afford - and I realize the housing prices in CA went way past the point of insanity decades ago.

The weather in SoCal can be wonderful and many claim that is why housing is so expensive. However, before the irrational sharp increase in housing began back in the 70s (due to the speculators hitting the area), the weather was wonderful then too - yet houses were more in line with affordability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
recent information shows that people can now afford to live in the Oxnard, Ventura area. Sure it may be expensive for some but not what it cost when New2Ventura posted almost 4 years ago. By the way that was the only post that N2V ever made.

Just for reference homes are selling for less than half what they sold for back then. Rents are not half but they are not out of line.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:54 AM

699 posts, read 1,336,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
However, before the irrational sharp increase in housing began back in the 70s (due to the speculators hitting the area), the weather was wonderful then too - yet houses were more in line with affordability.
What do you consider "in line with affordability"?

By any historical measure, most housing in VC today meets that test. The median household can afford the median priced home, with about 25% of gross income going to housing. And it's cheaper to buy than rent, provided you have a 15-20% down payment.

By my research, that's in line with the several decades worth of housing data.

And yet, the housing market is weak. There's simply no confidence.

Old 04-24-2011, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenSky View Post
What do you consider "in line with affordability"?

By any historical measure, most housing in VC today meets that test. The median household can afford the median priced home, with about 25% of gross income going to housing. And it's cheaper to buy than rent, provided you have a 15-20% down payment.

By my research, that's in line with the several decades worth of housing data.

And yet, the housing market is weak. There's simply no confidence.
Understandable.

Old 04-24-2011, 11:16 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,903,873 times
It's a struggle for most people when it comes to many areas in the US.
If the avg cost of a home in VC is $345K and the
Avg salary is $50k, even with two incomes, it'll be a struggle.
Lose one income and suddenly you can't afford the home.

Old 04-24-2011, 11:31 AM

1,549 posts, read 4,240,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2000 View Post
That's the thing...so many homes are going for less than that even finding homes in the low 200's and sometimes in the 180's and 190's although those might be condos. I know the feeling of losing an income since I divorced. There is no way to tell situations might happen to you.

Like you all said, the prices here have been inflated for so long. I remember seeing condos in the 100's been sold for over 300k and it was ridiculous...this is was around 2005-2006...just crazy!

Old 04-24-2011, 12:53 PM

Pedro2000 and LadyKLO: excellent postings!

LadyKLO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2000
That's the thing...so many homes are going for less than that even finding homes in the low 200's and sometimes in the 180's and 190's although those might be condos. I know the feeling of losing an income since I divorced. There is no way to tell situations might happen to you.

Like you all said, the prices here have been inflated for so long. I remember seeing condos in the 100's been sold for over 300k and it was ridiculous...this is was around 2005-2006...just crazy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County