Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 03:29 PM

136 posts, read 237,644 times

Advertisements

There is a very nice apartment complex on Lindero Cyn near Kanan Rd which I think the border of Oak Park and Westlake. There is another one I think owned by the same company way down Westlake Blvd closer to Thousand Oaks. Only apartments will rent month to month. Both in great school districts. More rentals in the Thousand Oaks/Newbury Park area off the 101 frwy. Let me know if I can help with anything. Lived there for 13 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 04:28 PM

136 posts, read 237,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Thousand Oaks has gotten more affluent over the years, but it has also gotten less white over the years. Thousand Oaks' population is older than average....but not significantly older. Santa Monica, for example, has less families with kids than Thousand Oaks and has very similar racial demographics. All these things, except people's sexual activity, is tracked in the US census so we don't need to speculate much about it.
Well this is a first for me! Never heard of someone basing their future home on their neighbor's sexual activity! I could care less what people do behind closed doors and I don't know why it interests you so much that you would rule out entire towns I always thought older people did ballroom dancing? My friend's husband is 70 and teaches classes. To each his own I guess, que sera, sera. You do realize that what you are asking for does not exist. Pick your most important features and hopefully it's what is best for your kids.

Old 07-15-2014, 03:34 PM

14 posts, read 26,059 times
Just read this entire 9 page thread and am dying to know: jaynetarzana, where did you end up???

Old 07-15-2014, 05:52 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,034,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoasterfornow View Post
Just read this entire 9 page thread and am dying to know: jaynetarzana, where did you end up???
Hi, if you click on a poster's name, there's a drop-down box that includes "Find all posts by (name of poster)" so you can see if they are still around. Janetarzana hasn't posted since April. One of her last posts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynetarzana View Post
Thanks, AyeScotland. So far, we haven't had any luck locating a job for DH anywhere in SoCal that pays anywhere close to what he makes in the Bay Area. I'm starting to resign myself to living up here long term and taking vacations in SoCal.

Last edited by nightlysparrow; 07-15-2014 at 06:49 PM..

Old 07-15-2014, 06:42 PM

14 posts, read 26,059 times
ah, thanks, nightlysparrow!

I think we are moving to T.O. in the somewhat near future, though at this point it may have to wait until after the whole next school year (i.e Summer 2015). Very excited about it, though.

One thing I was going to say to jaynetarzana is that you can often meet like-minded people though the schools you choose for your children, particularly when they are young and in nursery school and you have so much choice. Our kids went to a pretty crunchy co-op nursery school and we met some fantastic people there that we are still friends with, a decade later. They are people that share a lot of the same values and interests that we have and I am not sure I would have met them otherwise. Especially as this hippy-ish sort of vibe is really not the norm where we currently live.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:26 AM

3 posts, read 4,208 times
dbg117 you are soooo right!!!OMG! I just moved to Thousand oaks, love it! Calabasas sucks! its 10 degrees hotter in the summer time than TO. (electric bill anyone?) also, there's nothing to do, and everyone there thinks they're the horedashians! LOL!

Thousand Oaks is so pretty and lush and the lots are big! Great schools, btw, Calabasas schools unless private, they're the same or a couple of points less than TO schools or Westlake. (check greatschools.com)

When I first moved here, I thought I wanted to be as close to LA proper as possible, but after seeing the city well, (no urbanism, dirty, lots of billboards, cholos, etc) I felt I was in Bogota or Lima. I lived in NYC and that's a great chaotic city to live in!!, loved it. But LA not so much, unless you're in Beverly hills or Hancock Park or Bell Air and don't get me started with all the waiter's in town pretending they're the next Brad Pitt or Angelina giving everyone attitude, like you're lucky they're bringing you food. LOL! traffic sucks anyways.
Fortunately, I'm only in this part of the world for a short time (only a couple of years) and then back to the best place on Earth, Vancouver BC.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:09 PM

179 posts, read 355,950 times
I'm just going to throw my hat into the ring here: Oak Park.

Go Eagles!!!

Too bad the OP probably never moved...

Old 01-20-2015, 11:26 AM

1 posts, read 2,358 times
You really can't go wrong between Westlake Village and Agoura Hills, or the Conejo Valley in general. Education wise, Oak Park is the best in the county, then Westlake Village, then Agoura Hills, Thousand Oaks and Newbury Park.

What you will get for your money:

Thousand Oaks for $900k
1/4 - 1/2 acre lot
2500-3250 square foot home
Great area/education
Older home or small lot (1/8 an acre) and newer home

Agoura Hills for $900k
1/4 acre lot
2500-3000 square foot home
Newer build

Oak Park for $900k
Newer home
Small lot
About 3000 square feet

Westlake Village for $900k
2400-2800 square foot home
1/5 acre lot
Nicely fixed up

Hope this helps.

Old 01-24-2015, 10:18 PM

179 posts, read 355,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsla2005 View Post
You really can't go wrong between Westlake Village and Agoura Hills, or the Conejo Valley in general. Education wise, Oak Park is the best in the county, then Westlake Village, then Agoura Hills, Thousand Oaks and Newbury Park.

What you will get for your money:

Thousand Oaks for $900k
1/4 - 1/2 acre lot
2500-3250 square foot home
Great area/education
Older home or small lot (1/8 an acre) and newer home

Agoura Hills for $900k
1/4 acre lot
2500-3000 square foot home
Newer build

Oak Park for $900k
Newer home
Small lot
About 3000 square feet

Westlake Village for $900k
2400-2800 square foot home
1/5 acre lot
Nicely fixed up

Hope this helps.
Jesus H Christ, Oak Park for $900K??? You're telling me the new house my parents bought in 1989 is now worth $900K (they bought it for less than $300K).

Old 06-03-2015, 09:19 AM

1 posts, read 2,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casualsurfer View Post
Jesus H Christ, Oak Park for $900K??? You're telling me the new house my parents bought in 1989 is now worth $900K (they bought it for less than $300K).
Yep.... https://www.redfin.com/CA/Oak-Park/4...7/home/4697441
Posted earlier this week....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County