Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 12:43 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,001,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenSky View Post
GOTOH, Conejo Valley neighborhoods essentially flow from one to the next with only nuanced differences. It's Anytown, USA.
Yes...there is only a "nuanced difference" between the numerous homes with horse ranches, etc in Agoura hills, Lynn Ranch, etc and the McMansions in Sunset Hills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenSky View Post
With the possible exception of the natural open space or maybe the Civic Arts Plaza, I can't think of anything distinctive in the Conejo Valley.
The irony just doesn't end with you guys. It is precisely the natural setting and the open space that draws people to the community.... If you moved the Conejo Valley to a flat plain it wouldn't be nearly as desirable....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 01:25 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,713,990 times
I think the Ventura County forum has several threads that have turned into "my city is better than your city" and since it's not my city your city sucks....

Like I have said before, not everyone will like the Conejo Valley because it's mostly suburban with no downtown, shopping centers scattered, and some call the Conejo Valley boring due to the lack of downtown bars and nightclubs. Ventura has the beach, Golf N Stuff, and bars and clubs downtown. Oxnard has the beach, an ice skating rink, and Hispanic-themed bars and clubs downtown for salsa and some non-Hispanic ones too.

All though, it's like I said before:

Ventura=downtown with hipster vibe
Oxnard=downtown with Hispanic culture
Camarillo=downtown with small town charm
Simi Valley=middle class suburbia
Thousand Oaks=upper middle class suburbia

As Winston Smith, Lady KLO, and Soon2BeSurprise have said they like Oxnard because of salsa, Hispanic culture, and the beach.

As you have said User ID, you like Thousand Oaks because of the geography and living with people that are similar to your believes and the low crime rates.

As OpenSky has said, he likes Ventura because of the beach bum feel.

Now, here's hoping to some peace and some friendly comparisons to the different cities in Ventura County.

And I'm sad that my Oxnard thread got closed, oh well....

Old 01-24-2012, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
Like I have said before, not everyone will like the Conejo Valley because it's mostly suburban with no downtown, shopping centers scattered, and some call the Conejo Valley boring due to the lack of downtown bars and nightclubs.
As I've said before....the Conejo Valley does have a downtown its just not historic (how could it be?) or hip. The Downtown is the area around the Civic center. There aren't many bars and nightclubs though....

Referring to Thousand Oaks as "suburbia" while pretending other areas aren't makes no sense. The existence of a small historic downtown that few people live in doesn't make a city urban, Oxnard, Ventura, etc are all suburban in character.

Quote:
As you have said User ID, you like Thousand Oaks because of the geography and living with people that are similar to your believes and the low crime rates.
I really haven't said much about what I like or dislike about Thousand oaks....and I don't even live in Thousand oaks.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
As I've said before....the Conejo Valley does have a downtown its just not historic (how could it be?) or hip. The Downtown is the area around the Civic center. There aren't many bars and nightclubs though....

Referring to Thousand Oaks as "suburbia" while pretending other areas aren't makes no sense. The existence of a small historic downtown that few people live in doesn't make a city urban, Oxnard, Ventura, etc are all suburban in character.

I really haven't said much about what I like or dislike about Thousand oaks....and I don't even live in Thousand oaks.
If you live in Newbury Park, it's the same as Thousand Oaks. I'm pretty sure its the same zipcode. Its like saying Valencia is different from Santa Clarita. Valencia and Newbury Park are like suburbs of a suburb ha ha.

The area where the civic center is not a downtown. A downtown is a central business district. Usually running along one or two main streets.

Thousand Oaks has no central business area, so it has no downtown.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:00 PM

Quote:
If you live in Newbury Park, it's the same as Thousand Oaks. I'm pretty sure its the same zipcode. Its like saying Valencia is different from Santa Clarita. Valencia and Newbury Park are like suburbs of a suburb ha ha.
Um....huh? I don't even know what you're trying to say. Newbury park is a part of Thousand Oaks, the reason for the name is that the area use to be an unincorporated community and it was later annexed by Thousand oaks.

Quote:
The area where the civic center is not a downtown. A downtown is a central business district. Usually running along one or two main streets.
Um...have you even been to Thousand Oaks??! The area around the civic center is just as much a "central business district" as downtown ventura and far more so than the "downtown" in Oxnard and Camarillo. Main streets? You mean like Thousand oaks Blvd?

Old 01-24-2012, 11:15 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,046,383 times
Quote:
What is great about this commentary is that its entirely contradictory... But first, let's note that the "Conejo Valley" isn't a city in Ventura County. Its a geographic region spanning two counties that contains multiple small but well connected cities. Second, if one can distinguish the Conejo Valley from "just about every other city in Ventura County" then the Conejo Valley is distinct contrary to what you're trying to, rather ironically, imply...

So while you speak about the Conejo Valley as a whole, you ignore that and instead focus on the cities within the Conejo Valley being similar. Well duh....it is precisely because the cities in the Conejo Valley are similar and very well connected that people talk about the Conejo Valley has one joint community.

The Conejo Valley has a "definite edge"....I hear that is common in valleys...

But I suppose this is what happens when your only motivate is to say something negative.....because someone has, god forbid, said something you don't like about a city you live in. Keep up the good work though!
My dislike of the Conejo Valley is not about you, user_id! I'm happy that Ventura County has sufficient enough variety in its cities that I can live where I want and feel comfortable, and someone with different likes than mine can live where s/he is comfortable. Nice!

Last edited by Winston Smith; 01-24-2012 at 11:32 PM.. Reason: Deleted unnecessary squabbling, but it felt good to post, if only for a minute or two. :p

Old 01-25-2012, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Um....huh? I don't even know what you're trying to say. Newbury park is a part of Thousand Oaks, the reason for the name is that the area use to be an unincorporated community and it was later annexed by Thousand oaks.

Um...have you even been to Thousand Oaks??! The area around the civic center is just as much a "central business district" as downtown ventura and far more so than the "downtown" in Oxnard and Camarillo. Main streets? You mean like Thousand oaks Blvd?
Driven through and stopped to eat there, and talked to people from there.

Old 01-25-2012, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Driven through and stopped to eat there, and talked to people from there.
Driven through? umm......seriously?

The next time you are in the area drive a few miles in both directions on Thousand Oaks Blvd from the Civic Center and tell me in what sense that area is not a "central business district".

Old 01-29-2012, 03:28 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,795,008 times
This is a little OT but when I moved to Thousand Oaks a few months ago and was looking at places it was so confusing in what city I was in. I remember there were 3 apartments within a mile one was in Westlake,one Oak Park,and I think one may have been Thousand Oaks I can't recall. For me the exact city did not matter but I guess in terms of schools and taxes for some being LA vs Ventura it can.
I have not been here long enough to state the differences of near by to Thousand Oaks but to me it just seems similar other then some are farther from major shopping or business areas.

Old 08-01-2012, 11:54 AM

6 posts, read 8,869 times
Uder Id, is so annoying. Spending all your time on City Data, arguing with everyone about EVERYTHING. Must be so nice to know everything..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County