Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 10:10 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,078,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenSky View Post
There are quite a few examples for TO valuing optics over substance.

Like prominently proclaiming one is a "Bicycle Friendly Community" but not having a single dedicated bike lane. Why even bother applying, much less displaying the sign in the least-bike friendly place of all, the Transportation Center?

Imbalanced Transportation Funding - YouTube

As far as graffiti in Ventura goes, every single time I've made a call to the hotline, the city is there like Johnny-on-the-spot to clean it up. The trestle over the 101 is the one exception, and my understanding is there's a deal done with UPRR to address that.
Excellent example of how treacherous biking can be in Thousand Oaks. I did it for several months getting between work and the VISTA bus. Towards the end of my work contract, I gave up trying to bike it and just used the LAMTA bus that just per chance happens to use the TO Transit Center for its turnaround before heading back to LA County. The Thousand Oaks bus system had a bus that came by, uh, every 2 hours or something. Not sure whom it was for. It was always empty. The "token bus service," I used to call it because it seemed like it was planned for failure so that the TO government could just say, "see, no one uses it!" (Sub text, we don't want "those" kind in our community.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 10:17 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,087,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
Thousand Oaks is terrible for walking, biking and public transportation.
Thousand Oaks doesn't provide much in terms of public transportation, but the city is filled with sidewalks so the idea that it is terrible for walking is just nonsensical.

As for biking, I will simply point out that the city was recognized for being bike friendly by one of the premier bike groups in the US. But naturally some bitter non-residents would know better....

Old 03-28-2012, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Thousand Oaks doesn't provide much in terms of public transportation, but the city is filled with sidewalks so the idea that it is terrible for walking is just nonsensical.
Don't argue with me. My experience was exactly what I stated -- constantly battling impatient car traffic in crosswalks traversing big intersections with walk signals way too short to let you cross comfortably. Sidewalks have driveways every few feet -- great for cars, not for people. No sidewalk on Rancho Road approaching the Transit Center. Completely hostile to people on foot. And, by the way, just because you have sidewalks does not pedestrian-friendly make. But the "car first" mentality never gets this.

Quote:
As for biking, I will simply point out that the city was recognized for being bike friendly by one of the premier bike groups in the US. But naturally some bitter non-residents would know better....
It's not a bike friendly city if you're riding anywhere near the TO Transit Center and are commuting into town on an express bus and would like to ride your bike to work. Don't argue with me about that either. This is personal experience talking, and I've posted details about the problems many times in the past here on C-D. I had more close calls in Thousand Oaks than anywhere else, which is the reason I stopped riding my bike between work and the VISTA bus. Maybe it's better now, but it was terrible a few years ago.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Sidewalks have driveways every few feet -- great for cars, not for people.
Umm...huh? Driveways every few feet? The sidewalks aren't for people? So the city has spent countless millions on sidewalks throughout the city and these are for.........?

But considering that everything with you is about making US cities like European cities, I imagine you have in mind so called "walkability" which is largely about density. The Conejo Valley as a whole isn't very dense, indeed that is part of its charm.

Quote:
No sidewalk on Rancho Road approaching the Transit Center.
Ugh....this again. C'mon...open up google maps and do a street view on Rancho and voila....you'll see the sidewalk. Its only on one side in the intersection though.

Quote:
It's not a bike friendly city if you're riding anywhere near the TO Transit Center and are commuting into town on an express bus and would like to ride your bike to work.
Except of course that there is a nice bike route to/from the Transit center on Haaland Dr that will take you to Thousand Oaks' main business district (by Amgen). Now, if you are going to the Westlake area of Thousand Oaks you'll want to use Rancho, and as noted there is even an option for the sissies, you can use the sidewalk on Rancho for 1 block to get through the intersection of the 101/23 freeways.

Anyhow, I've never even used the transit center and I imagine the same is true for most people in the Conejo Valley. Why would I want to ride a bus? Thousand Oaks has done a reasonable job at providing its residents with the sort of cycling infrastructure that they need and that is precisely why they were recognized for being a "bike friendly" city. Public transit, especially of the hipster variety, is a different matter entirely....

Don't argue with you? Sure, just stop making erroneous claims.

Last edited by user_id; 03-29-2012 at 12:08 AM..

Old 03-29-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Umm...huh? Driveways every few feet? The sidewalks aren't for people? So the city has spent countless millions on sidewalks throughout the city and these are for.........?

But considering that everything with you is about making US cities like European cities, I imagine you have in mind so called "walkability" which is largely about density. The Conejo Valley as a whole isn't very dense, indeed that is part of its charm.

Ugh....this again. C'mon...open up google maps and do a street view on Rancho and voila....you'll see the sidewalk. Its only on one side in the intersection though.

Except of course that there is a nice bike route to/from the Transit center on Haaland Dr that will take you to Thousand Oaks' main business district (by Amgen). Now, if you are going to the Westlake area of Thousand Oaks you'll want to use Rancho, and as noted there is even an option for the sissies, you can use the sidewalk on Rancho for 1 block to get through the intersection of the 101/23 freeways.

Anyhow, I've never even used the transit center and I imagine the same is true for most people in the Conejo Valley. Why would I want to ride a bus? Thousand Oaks has done a reasonable job at providing its residents with the sort of cycling infrastructure that they need and that is precisely why they were recognized for being a "bike friendly" city. Public transit, especially of the hipster variety, is a different matter entirely....

Don't argue with you? Sure, just stop making erroneous claims.
Hippster??? My experiences are my experiences. I found Thousand Oaks to be both bike and pedestrian un-friendly. Now stop your wining!

Old 03-29-2012, 08:39 PM

13 posts, read 31,599 times
Quote:
Hippster??? My experiences are my experiences. I found Thousand Oaks to be both bike and pedestrian un-friendly. Now stop your wining!
Yes, it looks like he's 'wining' alright.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:06 AM

699 posts, read 1,344,700 times
Ventura Unified elementary schools Loma Vista and Citrus Glen recognized as "California Distinguished Schools"

Madrona and Environmental Academy of Research Technology and Earth Sciences magnet school in Conejo Unified were also recognized.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Ventura Unified elementary schools Loma Vista and Citrus Glen recognized as "California Distinguished Schools"

Madrona and Environmental Academy of Research Technology and Earth Sciences magnet school in Conejo Unified were also recognized.
But nevermind the independent designation as a Distinguished School - the more important indicator is how one perceives the physical appearance of the property at a certain point in time.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:30 PM

Quote:
My experiences are my experiences. I found Thousand Oaks to be both bike and pedestrian un-friendly.
Yep, your experiences are your experiences. If all you said was "I don't like to bike in Thousand Oaks" I wouldn't care, but when your "experiences" involve factual inaccuracies then I'll interject.

Quote:
But nevermind the independent designation as a Distinguished School - the more important indicator is how one perceives the physical appearance of the property at a certain point in time.
I don't think "California Distinguished School" has much meaning, but I never suggested that all the public schools in Ventura were bad....

Old 03-31-2012, 08:36 AM

Quote:

I don't think "California Distinguished School" has much meaning
Umm... huh?

Quote:
A California Distinguished School is an award given by the California State Board of Education to public schools within the state that best represent exemplary and quality educational programs. Approximately five percent of California schools are awarded this honor each year following a selection process. Eligibility is based on federal and state criteria including the No Child Left Behind program, Academic Performance Index (API), and Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP).

The program was established in 1985 and alternates each year between elementary (even years) and secondary (odd years) schools. The award is valid for four years.
The irony of you touting the "League of American Bicyclists" Bicycle Friendly status as cold hard evidence of TO being anything remotely friendly to cyclists -- and then thumbing your nose at a CDS award -- is absolutely delicious.

But then again, your negative spin on Ventura is well-documented. Thank you for adding to the compendium.

Last edited by HSP1161; 03-31-2012 at 08:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County