Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2007, 10:25 PM

37 posts, read 215,894 times

Advertisements

We are in the process of returning to San Diego (after a 3 year absence). There is a company in Simi Valley that appears to be very interested in my husband.

Question: we are both 43, no kids and will have annual income in the $160K+ range.

We both like good restaurants (preferable non-chain places), enjoy cultural activities (but are not necessarily 'culture vultures') and are hoping to buy a house.

Would we be bored in Simi? If so, what would be an alternative? We were hoping to buy a house in the $600K range. Although with the way the market is shaking out we may rent for a year or so.....

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2007, 02:15 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,078,525 times
Yes, you might be bored in family-oriented, suburban Simi Valley, but you could get an ok house for $600k. Trouble is, I can't think of anywhere reasonably close that might be better for you without getting you into a massive commute. My 2¢ for you: find a nice place to live in Simi, where you work, and travel to the occasional cultural event. Simi is nice in terms of hiking, biking and scenery. Maybe those things would grow on you if you're open.

Incidentally, Simi Valley is the number two city for the most foreclosures in Ventura County, these days. I smell a deal for you.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:05 AM

1,482 posts, read 5,174,271 times
If by cultural activities you include theater, it's not Broadway, maybe not even off Broadway, but there are some places to see plays without too much driving. The Civic Arts Plaza in Thousand Oaks would be the biggest but then there are small companies like the Conejo Players and High Street Theater Foundation (Moorpark Melodrama) which have entertaining productions. In Simi Valley itself there's the Cultural Arts Center. It's a small place, ~200 person seating, with weekend productions. For large productions you'd be driving into the Los Angeles area. Personally, I'd rather drive to Los Angeles to do something rather than live there and drive to work every day.

Old 08-14-2007, 01:21 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImRandy View Post
If by cultural activities you include theater, it's not Broadway, maybe not even off Broadway, but there are some places to see plays without too much driving. The Civic Arts Plaza in Thousand Oaks would be the biggest but then there are small companies like the Conejo Players and High Street Theater Foundation (Moorpark Melodrama) which have entertaining productions. In Simi Valley itself there's the Cultural Arts Center. It's a small place, ~200 person seating, with weekend productions. For large productions you'd be driving into the Los Angeles area. Personally, I'd rather drive to Los Angeles to do something rather than live there and drive to work every day.
This is good advice - especially about living near where you work. I've been to performances at all of these places. Of course only the CAP in TO will have top line stuff but the other venues (and Moorpark College) are a lot less expensive ("cheaper" in my normal lingo) and a lot more convenient. I saw Beauty and the Beast at the Simi Cultural Arts thing a couple years ago - excellent with a live orchestra too. Also, Simi to Pasadena (and even downtown) is not normally a horrid drive on weekends. Simi through the 405 to the westside is pretty bad even on weekends. Other reasonable weekend drives for cultural activities: Ojai, Ventura, and Santa Barbara.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County