Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 11:31 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbuck View Post
My family can VERY much relate. We moved in 2008 to Utah as we thought the cost of living would be lower and equal a better quality of life. Well exactly 1 yr after we moved here, my husband was laid off and neither of us have been able to sustain a REAL job since. Mind you we are in small town, rural southern Utah. It turns out they hate Californians! We ended up going back to school ourselves and I have another year until I finsih my degree, but I don't think I can stick it out that much longer. We have been screwed out of 2 homes here...the first we rented and the owner stopped paying the mortagage, but kept collecting the rent. WE didn't find out until the bank informed us....then we did a lease option...a year later same thing!! My kids hate it, they were between 9-14 when we got here, they are now 13-18 yrs and we hate every bit of it. No jobs, half the freaking companies closed. Everyone is related to everyone or their grand-pappies were "founding families" so there is alot of nepotism, and nobody to complain to. You are either from here or an outsider. It is miserable!! There is nothing to do as we don't hunt, and God forbid alcohol is evil here. There is no cultural activities, art,etc. It is miserably cold, we hate that here too. I could list atleast 100 more reason why we hate it, but I won't. We are also trying to get back to Ventura and I just don't even know where to begin. Years ago I was younger and more spontaneous I would have taken the plunge and hoped for the best and somehow it worked out. Now I'm older and wiser? More paranoid? I don't know, but I'd probably give a limb at this point for a job out there. Good luck to you guys on getting back to Ventura!!
It sounds to me like your biggest issue was moving to a small town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 11:35 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katnip kid View Post
Could you explain this? You mean that as new residents you would be expected to pay a different property tax rate?
Because of Prop 13, property tax increases are limited to 2% a year. That typically benefits long term homeowners over time. While new homeowners get assessed at their home's full value...since values typically go up much more than 2% a year, long time homeowners pay much less in tax for their homes' true value. So yes, new homeowners end up paying a disproportionate share of the property tax revenues.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:50 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Because of Prop 13, property tax increases are limited to 2% a year. That typically benefits long term homeowners over time. While new homeowners get assessed at their home's full value...since values typically go up much more than 2% a year, long time homeowners pay much less in tax for their homes' true value. So yes, new homeowners end up paying a disproportionate share of the property tax revenues.
Reasonable statement...

One theory the court looked at in determining if Prop 13 was fair was equal protection under the law and found it was because there is no outside limit on how long a person can own a property... so the person buying today could, in all probability, be the one with the lower taxes 20 or 30 years into the future.

Another is many buy homes when starting a family... those that have lived in their homes for 20 or 30 years often do not have children attending local public schools and schools receive much of the property tax revenue.

The beauty of Prop 13 is:

Prop 13 applies to all assessable property in California

Prop 13 provides predictability in property taxes and revenue.

Prop 13 limits can be exceeded by a 2/3 vote or in the case of school infrastructure... only a 55% voter approval.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:15 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,450,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbuck View Post
My family can VERY much relate. We moved in 2008 to Utah as we thought the cost of living would be lower and equal a better quality of life. Well exactly 1 yr after we moved here, my husband was laid off and neither of us have been able to sustain a REAL job since. Mind you we are in small town, rural southern Utah. It turns out they hate Californians! We ended up going back to school ourselves and I have another year until I finsih my degree, but I don't think I can stick it out that much longer. We have been screwed out of 2 homes here...the first we rented and the owner stopped paying the mortagage, but kept collecting the rent. WE didn't find out until the bank informed us....then we did a lease option...a year later same thing!! My kids hate it, they were between 9-14 when we got here, they are now 13-18 yrs and we hate every bit of it. No jobs, half the freaking companies closed. Everyone is related to everyone or their grand-pappies were "founding families" so there is alot of nepotism, and nobody to complain to. You are either from here or an outsider. It is miserable!! There is nothing to do as we don't hunt, and God forbid alcohol is evil here. There is no cultural activities, art,etc. It is miserably cold, we hate that here too. I could list atleast 100 more reason why we hate it, but I won't. We are also trying to get back to Ventura and I just don't even know where to begin. Years ago I was younger and more spontaneous I would have taken the plunge and hoped for the best and somehow it worked out. Now I'm older and wiser? More paranoid? I don't know, but I'd probably give a limb at this point for a job out there. Good luck to you guys on getting back to Ventura!!
You obviously didn't do your research. We moved to Utah (Salt Lake County) 21 years ago - and I've been employed ALL those years. Small town Utah is not going to have the jobs Metro Salt Lake City has. And if you're intolerant of the mormon lifestyle and living in a state with 4 distinct seasons - and you knew about it when you moved? Your own fault.

We have done very well.

However, we'd like to return to California as well and more moderate temps - we don't ski anymore - and just returned from a long drive (2700 miles) to the Bay Area to see family - down the coast - and to LA to see elderly inlaws.

The traffic from just north of Santa Barbara into the San Fernando Valley on a Friday night? HORRIBLE. We tried to take a short cut to the 118 - and it was worse than staying on the Ventura Fwy.

We will NOT move back to LA. Ever. We will choose from a lesser populated area near the coast. Further north.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:27 AM

11 posts, read 16,800 times
Wow! Sorry you felt the need to become so defensive. I never said it was not my fault, obviously it was and how the heck does that matter anyhow. I am just trying to say we always think the grass will be greener, but it usually isn't. In fact I was LDS when I moved here but after living here and seeing what I perceive as manipulation, the unethical politics, among a myriad of other reasons, I no longer align my beliefs with theirs. Enough said in regards to that, I am not looking to offend.
However, yes I did my research before moving here and it just so happened that in less than a year of living here the recession hit. That is wonderful that you have been able to find work all these years, but it is not the same down south. I did not say we have had no jobs, just that there are no GOOD jobs. The pay is terrible, it is a right to work state (which no i wasn't aware of before moving) so the employer is protected and employees are at their mercy (ie. food servers make $2.50 per hr + tips, if they don't make min wage with those tips the employer must pay the difference, what's the incentive to be in food service?) There is no real opportunity for career advancement of any kind unless it is in agriculture, although when we moved here this area was one of the fastest growing in the US. That is no more. There is obvious favoritism in the schools, people are very racist and judgmental. When we moved here there were festivals and events going on all the time, that is no longer which has made the cost of recreation increase. The general culture is just very different than where I grew up, something that I couldn't possibly know until I lived here. It is these little things that build up overtime. Some examples, 1)the blatant abuse of animals that is being taught to the kids here. For "fun" the Church leaders take the kids out to go "bunny bashing", this is where they drive around until they see a wild rabbit or other small animal and beat it to death with golf clubs, baseball bats,etc. I do not see this as fun, nor do my kids. I actually am quite disturbed by this. As a psychologist in training that would be considered a red flag of a social deviant, a potential sociopath. 2) I have huge issue with the corruption that exists in law enforcement, the favoritism that is shown to "founding families" along with the racial profiling 3) The schools are terrible! Unless you are a founding family or are a good ole boy your child has nothing coming. It sucks to know that regardless of how much they excel, your kids will never receive the scholarships, be selected for leadership roles,etc because you are an "outsider". 4) The medical care and lack of resources in southern Utah is unbelievable, there are things being done in the medical and mental health communities that are unethical and bordering illegal due to this ........These are to to name a very few things and these things build. But the point I am trying to make is many of these things I couldn't see coming, yes shame on me for moving to a small town, shame on me for thinking I would give my kids a better life and thought I would enjoy the 4 seasons but, bottom line is lesson learned. And as far as thinking that the cost of living would be a benefit...HAHA!! My electric bill is twice that of California (I compare with my mom), recreation costs more, the medical is terrible which means driving 65 miles one way to see a doctor and the rent is really not that much cheaper. 25% of the population of my county is below poverty level and the unemployment rate is over 10%. This wasn't the case when we arrived. My husband had a good job when we moved here, however it was hit hard by the recession.
I apologize if my original post offended you, I am not sure why what I said offended you, but just the same. However, i don't appreciate the attitude directed towards me either. Just because you have had a job here long term doesn't mean it is the same for everyone. As far as the lifestyle, yes I was well aware of that moving here, although I wasn't aware that others would be forcing their beliefs and lifestyle. This place may be a great fit for your family and that is great, but after being born and raised in So Cal for generations, then experiencing a culture I couldn't have possibly understood until I lived here, I hate it. I am not saying I'm better, or right or anything else, it just is not for me. Something someone posted earlier about thinking we will save all this $ by moving out of state and it ending up to not be the case; that is exactly what our experience has been much to my surprise. And as another poster said, enjoying where you live is what's important. I couldn't agree more, I miss the laid back lifestyle, people minding their own business, the healthy living, the beach and just being able to take a Sunday stroll to the art walks near the beach for free.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:11 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,039,467 times
[quote=mlb;27766500]However, we'd like to return to California as well and more moderate temps/QUOTE]

Friends just bought this house in Ventura, $240K. Prices are still recovering:

945 sapphire circle, ventura - Google Maps

Old 02-10-2013, 01:54 PM

230 posts, read 623,360 times
Default Property taxes are higher in oregon, mostly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk View Post
Not for anything, but, when I check various Cost-of-Living calculations like Sperling's, they consistently show that it is 30 percent more expensive to live in Ventura than in Southern Oregon, where I live now.
I love CA and if it were more retiree-friendly, we'd consider going back. As it stands, there is no incentive for us to move there and we'd get hammered with overly high property taxes to make up for what long-term residents get out of paying, plus car registration would be several hundred dollars as opposed to the $50 we pay now.
Sorry guys, I like CA and it's benefits as much as the next person but if you are thinking it is cheap(er) to live there, you're kidding yourself. Now, if you don't mind paying sky-high utility rates, car registration, property taxes and transportation costs, then go for it.
Perhaps the difference is the cost of the house? Or perhaps living in an area with less services. But the income tax (not a factor to retirees,) is higher in Oregon, as is the property tax for most developed areas. But yes, housing costs more there, but I found that I need way less house there. When you live at the beach, with average temps in the 70s, and sunny most of the time, the house is much less important.

I know Southern Oregon, and Willamette Valley, and Portland, very well. Have family there, and have researched it a ton. I will gladly pay more for sunshine, and year 'round farmer's markets and the open and friendly way that Californians are. Even with more sunshine in Southern Oregon, the gray is just too much. But it's a great alternative if you can't afford to live in California, for sure!!

Old 02-10-2013, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Yes, where I recently owned a home in Washington, they come to your door almost every year and look around to see if you have made improvements $$$$ that they can tax you more for. They have even started using helicopters to check all the yards for spas, sheds, additions, etc., that can raise your taxes up. Seriously. They send you a questionnaire every other year, asking of you've improved thing in your home, like put in new countertops, etc., so that you will pay more. The property tax is high up here, and gets higher every year. I think the worst thing was that they jacked up everyone's property taxes during the years when the housing values plummeted, starting in 2007. Tho Prop 13 was a disaster for schools and parks, it was nice knowing that your property tax wasn't going to be jacked up like that Many older couples lost their homes up here because of that.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
Happily, we've found an opportunity to move back to SoCal. Sadly, it's not to Ventura but rather to Pasadena. Job-wise, the prospects are better than they would be in Ventura, but we are sure going to miss the beach, the downtown, and the thrift stores! I'm sure we'll still visit on many weekends.

This is our chance to get a foot in the door before the housing market pulls back out of our reach. Maybe in the next 5-10 years we'll make our way back to the 805.

Hey! Congrats on the Pasadena move! I grew up in that area, Arcadia and South Pasadena. I swear if I could handle the heat better, I'd be back in a heartbeat. The crime is super low in the area, and there's tons to do. Lots of good thrifts shops, and activities. Not the beach, but if you're going to do Southern Calif., that's the place to go. My niece just moved back and is having a great time there.

Old 02-10-2013, 04:16 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trixie09 View Post
Yes, where I recently owned a home in Washington, they come to your door almost every year and look around to see if you have made improvements $$$$ that they can tax you more for. They have even started using helicopters to check all the yards for spas, sheds, additions, etc., that can raise your taxes up. Seriously. They send you a questionnaire every other year, asking of you've improved thing in your home, like put in new countertops, etc., so that you will pay more. The property tax is high up here, and gets higher every year. I think the worst thing was that they jacked up everyone's property taxes during the years when the housing values plummeted, starting in 2007. Tho Prop 13 was a disaster for schools and parks, it was nice knowing that your property tax wasn't going to be jacked up like that Many older couples lost their homes up here because of that.
Good post... WA did have a Prop 13 called I-747 that was tossed by a judge... my friends had bought 18 months before and their assessed value went up 80% after the law was tossed.

Prop 13 is the one thing California has to offer in an otherwise very high cost State.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County