Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 11:43 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,003,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
No, I do not have a selective memory. When I was growing up only two areas in Simi were considered "trashy," but compared to San Fernando Valley's trashiness it was still only a mild trashiness
Yes, your memory is rather selective. Between Simi valley and the San Fernando Valley, Simi Valley was far more "trashy" than the San Fernando Valley in the past. People, largely from the San Fernando Valley, moved to Simi Valley (starting in the 1960's) because house prices were considerably cheaper. Simi Valley was often mocked as being trashy, redneck, etc....in fact you can find older folks in the San Fernando Valley that still hold that opinion. It was only in the 1980's that the tides started to changed, in the 1980's more desirable housing tracks were built in Simi Valley and its schools started to outperform those in the San Fernando Valley. The evidence of this is all still standing, just look at the housing. Pre-1980's housing tracks were all low-end housing....

Some neighborhoods may be trashier today than they were in the past, while others are less. But overall Simi Valley is decidedly less trashy that it was in the past....

The idea that Hispanics are running around Simi Valley, or California in general, buying houses for cash is just laughable. Not only do they immigrant here dirt poor, they are one of the lowest income cohorts in California. Renters are, on average, lower income and since Hispanics make up more of the lower income cohort than whites you're going to find more Hispanics renting. Simple as that....that is why your personal experience doesn't match the 2010 US Census. Whether they are legal or not is immaterial....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 05:08 PM

2,855 posts, read 6,460,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post

The idea that Hispanics are running around Simi Valley, or California in general, buying houses for cash is just laughable. Not only do they immigrant here dirt poor, they are one of the lowest income cohorts in California. Renters are, on average, lower income and since Hispanics make up more of the lower income cohort than whites you're going to find more Hispanics renting. Simple as that....that is why your personal experience doesn't match the 2010 US Census. Whether they are legal or not is immaterial....
There is nothing laughable about it, and it is indeed a fact. When you have 12 to 15 people sharing a rental house, collecting government cash assistance and working for cash under the table, it is amazing how much these "poorer" people can save. We also see them paying rent with large rolls of cash, never checks or money orders, and it is always with $20's or $100's.

Old 06-19-2012, 05:44 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,527,488 times
Quote:
Thank you, Bulldogdad Have you also visited Greta's Guns on Los Angeles Avenue? Can't miss it since it has a big ol' cannon sitting out front and is located near the VFW post.

Simi Valley is indeed a beautiful looking town with some decent people in it. But, as a resident since 1967 I have seen a lot of negative changes to the city. I am a Constitutionalist with a fairly Conservative bent and generally tend to strongly disagree with user_id, but in this case I have to somewhat agree with user_id. Simi Valley's beauty is rapidly becoming tarnished and my husband and I are constantly debating whether to leave or stay. The city's outer beauty is hiding an underbelly of ugliness that seems to be getting progressively worse.

Some days I absolutely love this place, and other days I hate it. Maybe I am just suffering from a case of the Jekyl & Hydes, LOL!

No I haven't but If I buy a gun again from someone in that area we will make it a stop.

Yes Simi Valley is one of the gems of SoCal that's for sure.

Oh and dont feed the trolls.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
No I haven't but If I buy a gun again from someone in that area we will make it a stop.

Yes Simi Valley is one of the gems of SoCal that's for sure.

Oh and dont feed the trolls.
Hahaha! Yes, the trolls around here tend to be voracious critters

Old 06-20-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
When you have 12 to 15 people sharing a rental house, collecting government cash assistance and working for cash under the table, it is amazing how much these "poorer" people can save.
Though Hispanic households are typically larger than others, "12 to 15" per household is a profound exaggeration. Furthermore, those working "under the table" are likely to be illegal...yet only legal residents can collect government benefits. The fact that you think Hispanic families are running around buying houses in cash in Simi Valley.....says a lot about your relationship to reality.

Quote:
We also see them paying rent with large rolls of cash, never checks or money orders, and it is always with $20's or $100's.
Umm....yeah, this is common with lower income cohorts..

Old 06-20-2012, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Though Hispanic households are typically larger than others, "12 to 15" per household is a profound exaggeration. Furthermore, those working "under the table" are likely to be illegal...yet only legal residents can collect government benefits. The fact that you think Hispanic families are running around buying houses in cash in Simi Valley.....says a lot about your relationship to reality.
No, collecting benefits is NOT only allowed to legal residents. Illegals can collect benefits if they have given birth to even just one child here in the United States, which then makes them entitled to housing, medical, etc... The number of 12 to 15 per household is not an exaggeration, and if anything it is a low count. Tell me, how many rental properties do you check on a regular basis, expecting to see only 3 tenants, and find that in actuality EVERY ROOM in the house is full of beds, cots and sleeping bags. Are you aware that not too long ago two single-family rental houses in Simi Valley were found to have OVER 50 illegals living in them?

The fact that I KNOW that Hispanic families are indeed buying houses in CASH in Simi Valley, and you seem to find it hard to believe tells me a lot about YOUR relationship with reality. Hmmmm... I wonder why C.A.R has seen the need to issue the new form "AS - Sellers Affidavit of Nonforeign Status and/or California Withholding Exemption." Get a clue... I work with real estate matters and clients every day.

Quote:
Umm....yeah, this is common with lower income cohorts..
No, it is only common with those who are here illegally and cannot obtain a bank account. All of our lower-income tenants who ARE citizens or are here legally do have bank accounts and pay by check.

The facts are that before Simi Valley was forced by government rules to build more "affordable" housing or to make a certain percentage of rental units "affordable," we had a beautiful community made up of good, hard working families of all racial groups. Once we started to allow illegals and those from the gang areas of Los Angeles to move in our crime rate went up and the quality of living went down. But maybe you personally like the high crime that follows gang members and illegals.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Illegals can collect benefits if they have given birth to even just one child here in the United States, which then makes them entitled to housing, medical, etc...
No, only legal residents can receive benefits in the US. Though California does allow children, who are US citizens, to receive benefits in some cases even if their parents are non-residents. But these benefits are small and only provide partial support and its primarily in the form of health care and food-stamps. They can't, even in principle, save it to buy houses....

Quote:
The number of 12 to 15 per household is not an exaggeration, and if anything it is a low count.
Oh geez, now its the "low count"..... Hispanic households are only modestly larger than other groups in California. The fact that there are cases of homes being used to house numerous people doesn't say much about what happens on average....

Quote:
The fact that I KNOW that Hispanic families are indeed buying houses in CASH in Simi Valley,
Umm...people, including Hispanics, buy homes in cash all the time. But the idea that this represents a large percent of total home sales is ridiculous.

Quote:
No, it is only common with those who are here illegally and cannot obtain a bank account. All of our lower-income tenants who ARE citizens or are here legally do have bank accounts and pay by check.
You don't need a bank account to get a money order. But, as I said, this is relatively common with lower income cohorts. Lower income folks are less likely to have bank accounts.

As for crime, crime in Simi Valley has been declining for 8 years. But hey, if you want to think the crime rate is increasing and that illegals are running around the city buying houses for cash.....well go for it. Perhaps you should move? Ya know, to get away from all the crime and gangsters.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:07 AM

User_id, it is pointless to continue a conversation about real estate trends with someone who obviously has no working knowledge or personal daily experience of the subject. The same can be said when it comes to facts concerning immigration (legal or illegal). I have been a LEGAL immigrant to another country. I have a spouse and a daughter-in-law who are LEGAL immigrants to this country. I have been an immigration counselor and a go-between for those wishing to immigrate or who were in the process of immigrating and needed someone with knowledge to deal with an embassy or consulate in order to get the final push for approval. I have dealt with real estate and property management trends for quite a few years.

So, I will let you go on your merry way so you can carry on with being blissfully ignorant

Old 06-21-2012, 10:38 PM

Quote:
User_id, it is pointless to continue a conversation about real estate trends with someone who obviously has no working knowledge or personal daily experience of the subject.
The same can be said when it comes to facts concerning immigration (legal or illegal). I have been a LEGAL immigrant to another country. I have a spouse and a daughter-in-law who are LEGAL immigrants to this country. I have been an immigration counselor and a go-between for those wishing to immigrate or who were in the process of immigrating and needed someone with knowledge to deal with an embassy or consulate in order to get the final push for approval. I have dealt with real estate and property management trends for quite a few years.
Just more ridiculousness....now you are trying to insult someone's experience you know absolutely nothing about.

Like I said, you're just not looking at this objectively. Its funny too, before you moved to Simi Valley I told you, among other things, that Simi Valley has a decent sized Hispanic population some of which isn't legal. You vehemently denied it... And now you're complaining about the large Hispanic population in Simi Valley.......and I'm defending the city against your obvious prejudice.

Lastly, I've said nothing about the immigration process....so I have no idea why you're mentioning it.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Just more ridiculousness....now you are trying to insult someone's experience you know absolutely nothing about.

Like I said, you're just not looking at this objectively. Its funny too, before you moved to Simi Valley I told you, among other things, that Simi Valley has a decent sized Hispanic population some of which isn't legal. You vehemently denied it... And now you're complaining about the large Hispanic population in Simi Valley.......and I'm defending the city against your obvious prejudice.

Lastly, I've said nothing about the immigration process....so I have no idea why you're mentioning it.
Ummmmm.... BEFORE I moved to Simi Valley? I was raised here when my family moved here from Van Nuys in 1967.

When I was growing up here Simi had a moderate sized Hispanic population and that was never a problem. Most of them were from long-standing pioneer families to the area and they shared the same values as the rest of the population. They helped to make Simi the beautiful place it was. My concern is the influx of illegal immigrants who are also criminally inclined, as well as those who are legal immigrants or citizens involved with the drug trade and/or with gang ties. I don't care if someone is red, yellow, brown, white, black, purple or polka-dotted as long as they respect the laws of the land, do not bring criminal activity to my town and are not being supported on my tax dollars. I have Hispanics in my own family, I have cousins who are half black, there is a good chance that I also have a smattering of black genes. Race is not an issue, but the law is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County