Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2011, 11:22 AM

5 posts, read 13,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
Are you kidding me? Oxnard has the highest crime rate in all of Ventura County. They have the La Colonia Chicques gang, the Avenues from Ventura go there, and all the schools are horrible except San Buenaventura and Camarillo High School. In the city of Oxnard isn't very good. River Park houses are better though.
Completely wrong. For a city of its size, it actually has quite a low crime rate. Also, look at Ventura when you want to deal with the homeless issues too. I believe Oxnard is one region where the homeless have no saturated to a point where you see two begging with their dogs on every off-ramp and on-ramp. Ventura is pathetic in the downtown area. I though Santa Barbara used to be really bad with having all the homeless, think again, Ventura is the winner in terms of this eyesore and comes with it, crime and you constantly being hassled to spare some crack or boozer some money. Camarillo is not the pristine all white safehaven it's cracked up to be. Trust me. There are a lot of juvenile delinquents in this town and even worse in Thousand Oaks. Usually consist of white teen or young adult spoiled delinquents who wanna be cool or gangsta which is in my opinion even more troubling than a real one because usually these guys go psycho and have no sense of restraint. The victims could be anybody, whereas the gangs for the most part look for rival gang members and not necessarily anybody in the crowd at random.

Not ALL of Oxnard is bad. There are far more better communities in Oxnard than in Ventura. River Ridge not too far from River Park is a very nice place and Mandalay Bay and the new addition to the Marina is a a very nice area. With Oxnard there's opportunity for growth in businesses and residences. In Ventura, all you have are restrictions and no choice but to shop in a run down strip mall or the Pacific View mall with its limited selection of stores. The real shopping is in Oxnard along the 101 freeway and Camarillo's west end (nearest Oxnard). If Oxnard is so crime ridden, businesses would close up and move out and this has yet to happen. The city continues to grow in leaps and bounds even during the Obamanomic depression.

HoundHead
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 11:28 AM

5 posts, read 13,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashinthepan View Post
I would recommend that you NOT purchase a property in Riverpark. This seemingly pastoral place is not what it appears to be. The area borders El Rio and the problems of El Rio are becoming Riverpark's problems. The one park on the East Side is now filled with gangbangers and wannabe's from El Rio...anytime on the weekend it is full of bangers and you are not welcome there! There are gang houses in the neighborhood, and loud partying other idiocy is startng to rear its ugly head. The local HOA is ineffective and doesn't communicate well with others, and the Oxnard PD are a disinterested. Oh yeah, once you purchase, you can forget about ever getting any service from the builder (Hi, Centex!)- it is like you become invisible. Try finding parking on your street after 4 pm, and then you had better lock your car.
Yeah, the place looks nice, but who cares about looks if you are in it for the long haul, right? The place is slowly being eaten alive. What will happen when the build the high school in the area and every wannabe toughie and banger starts rolling through the neighborhood.
Funny thing is, this stuff is never mentioned in the sales brochures. Boy, don't we feel like suckers now.
Lived here for over 3 years now. I have yet to see gang violence overtake RiverPark. Even with all the growth and expected increase in crime nothing significant has happened to the point where people should be fearing for safety or their lives. You are completely wrong!

HoundHead

Old 01-23-2011, 12:36 PM

1,549 posts, read 4,240,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoundHead View Post
Lived here for over 3 years now. I have yet to see gang violence overtake RiverPark. Even with all the growth and expected increase in crime nothing significant has happened to the point where people should be fearing for safety or their lives. You are completely wrong!

HoundHead
Me too, I've been here 3 years...no problems....

Old 01-23-2011, 01:05 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,040,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoundHead View Post

HoundHead
Agree with you. I get really tired of the old snobbishness conversation about Oxnard and out-dated perceptions surrounding crime and so on. In fact, it's starting to rub me as infantile in that whenever someone describes Oxnard as nothing but crime and gangland, I feel as though the conversation hasn't even reached first base yet. Very tedious.

There is a cultural, social and political undercurrent in Oxnard that has tremendous energy. Downtown is a beautiful place, plans on the books for redoing the blighted areas are underway and cannot come into fruition fast enough for everyone in the city. Great mix of people and flavors. These are exciting times for Oxnard, and by extension as its largest city, Ventura County. Just sayin'.

Last edited by Winston Smith; 01-23-2011 at 01:19 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 02-19-2011, 01:44 PM

36 posts, read 84,897 times
The RiverPark development looks to be in full swing again! I recently saw more construction on housing along the north Oxnard Blvd. extension and the new Target looks mighty impressive and huge!! The design is quite unique with an underground parking and there are stairs leading up to the store. By the end of this year the 'Collections' will be a beehive of renewed growth and energy in an otherwise still bleak economy!

Old 02-20-2011, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NardForLife View Post
The RiverPark development looks to be in full swing again! I recently saw more construction on housing along the north Oxnard Blvd. extension and the new Target looks mighty impressive and huge!! The design is quite unique with an underground parking and there are stairs leading up to the store. By the end of this year the 'Collections' will be a beehive of renewed growth and energy in an otherwise still bleak economy!
I'm looking forward to shopping at Whole Paycheck, I mean....Whole Foods!!! That Target is going to be HUGE! I hope the workers from the old store can keep their jobs and they hire more people.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:44 PM

1,812 posts, read 3,343,451 times
I spent my weekend here and will be staying a few more days....No idea what your talking about when it comes to crime gangs or other negatives. Load of affordable properties, great people, great scene. Any one who speaks negative has either never been here, is jealous they are not here or has not been here when the SUPOSED gangs and violence occured..........PS...Stay in Beverly Hills your better off and let us Middle Class enjoy this economical town.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:15 AM

1,465 posts, read 5,130,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30STM View Post
I spent my weekend here and will be staying a few more days....No idea what your talking about when it comes to crime gangs or other negatives. Load of affordable properties, great people, great scene. Any one who speaks negative has either never been here, is jealous they are not here or has not been here when the SUPOSED gangs and violence occured..........PS...Stay in Beverly Hills your better off and let us Middle Class enjoy this economical town.
Just a point of curiosity, the crime rate in Beverly Hills is a tad higher higher than Oxnard

They data is just through 2009 and it is close enough to call even.

Oxnard crime rate has decreased significantly over the last few years

Old 02-21-2011, 05:06 AM

1,812 posts, read 3,343,451 times
Love it

Old 02-21-2011, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30STM View Post
Hi, what areas did you visit? I've been in Oxnard more than 10 years and I personally love it. The weather will definitely keep me here and plus, I love my condo so I am going to stay put!

The important question is..WHERE DID YOU EAT???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County