Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 06:55 PM

299 posts, read 1,150,115 times

Advertisements

schneederbeef,

Ok, thanks for the info.

jOE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 01:13 AM

1 posts, read 7,927 times
Smile Flooding?

Hi, I was out at Riverpark today and looked at the Meridian complex by Shea. I specifically asked about flooding (since I was looking at a townhome that had a view toward the walking area around the reservoir (for want of a better word)--and was told "this is not a flood plain." Of course, that's a salesperson--I was concerned in regard to getting insurance.

If anyone has more info on this or the community in general, I'd be appreciative.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:03 PM

3 posts, read 29,780 times
hello kababayan mascret, im glad you are considering riverpark. We have been living here for over a year and love it! (regardless of the ride into l.a. for work everyday) Its all worth it! You can also check out this website if wanted to find out or see pictures of the soon to be town center Shea Properties. kung meron pang question, just ask

Old 01-08-2009, 02:42 AM

299 posts, read 1,150,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by river08 View Post
hello kababayan mascret, im glad you are considering riverpark. We have been living here for over a year and love it! (regardless of the ride into l.a. for work everyday) Its all worth it! You can also check out this website if wanted to find out or see pictures of the soon to be town center
Quote:
Originally Posted by river08 View Post
Shea Properties. kung meron pang question, just ask

Kamusta ka river08?

I wish I could speak & write Tagalog, would think after almost 20 years I would be able to.... long story. I love it here in the Philippines, mainly the family ties and FOOD, but have to admit that I am ready to return to my country and show my family what it is like. I find time is not moving fast enough towards 2012, when my/our two kids graduate and hopefully have their BS in Pharmacy, and we WILL SETTLE down in Ventura County, with RiverPark looking very good.

My wife is Visayan, may I inquire as to your Provence? How long have you been in the US of A or were you born there? We had a great visit, pre-settle visit in 2007 and the kids and wife loved the weather and all of the rest of what makes VC so great. I retired from what used to be CBC Port Hueneme in 1984 and went abroad, Saudi Arabia, to earn some $$$, didn't do much of that and then decided to stay in the Philippines for a couple of years, the rest is history. Enough about that!

Thanks for the website, went there and enjoyed it.

Hope you are serious about me being able to answer questions as I will take you up on that from time to time. I usually try do that through a DM or email. Hope that is acceptable to you as some of the questions might bore the others.

BTW, remember I mentioned the kids and them graduating from AUF.... HOPEFULLY in 2012 with a BS in Pharmacy. Well, should you run into or already know of a Pharmacist or Nurse from the Philippines, male or female as my kids are 19 & 17 y/o boy and girl respectively. I'm very interested in locating a POC for them to ask questions regarding their chosen career field.... would sure appreciate it. I have asked other times and had some really grate replies, unfortunately haven't located a POC yet....
NEVER SAY NEVER, right.

Salamat Po,

jOE
Angeles City,
Philippines

Last edited by macsret; 01-08-2009 at 02:47 AM.. Reason: wasn't worded right

Old 01-15-2009, 01:20 PM

1 posts, read 7,671 times
I'm getting the hell out of Rivepark! Do not buy here, or even rent. This place is DOA. I bought a home there back in March 2007. The agent told us of this wonderful plan that Riverpark is. Movies, Shopping, Convention Center...blah blah blah. A place that you will never need to leave, because it will have it all. What the agent failed to mention is that in 2009 140 unit Low-Income housing project would be constructed in the Riverpark development. Bring on the Gang-Bangers and Drug Dealers. Bring on the Welfare Moms and 20 person Families. This is not what i signed on for. What was also not mentioned is how expensive your property taxes would be after re-assesment. Riverpark homeowners have to pay 1.9% instead of the 1% the rest of the city pays. Can you imagine having to cough up 10 - 15K a year? Ridiculous! The parks on the brochure and pictures are beautiful, families playing, kids running around, people jogging. Bull****! Go look at the parks in person. There are usualy 4 or 5 gang banger punks sitting on the kids playsets. Smokin', drinkin' and intimidating everyday folks. Go look on a Sunday morning after a Mexican group has has a party there. Trash all over the place, empty beer containers and pinata shreds. The school system in the area is all messed up too. I dont care that they have built brand new schools in Riverpark. They are still bussing Gang-Bangers kids to them. I am done with giving Oxnard a chance. Im moving back to East Ventura, where at least it's worth paying a little more to live a little safer.

Old 01-15-2009, 02:01 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,214,263 times
Sorry to tell you this JoserInc, Oxnard is safer than Ventura. My wife brings our kids to the park near the Middle School and they love it. Other families are there as well. Two of our kids are at the Middle school and they love it there. When you bought your home there you were told about the property tax, if you didn't listen or read the paperwork during the closing who is to blame for that? As far as low income housing, all developments in Ventura County either need to build so many low income units or pay a fee to the community. The developers there decided to build the low income units, and they disclosed that they were going to do that long before a shovel hit the dirt. That has always been the plan and anyone that looked into it would have known that. We would not live there because the homes don't have full yards. For those that like patio homes or condo living go for it.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:47 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,902,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
As far as low income housing, all developments in Ventura County either need to build so many low income units or pay a fee to the community.
Please tell me the exact street location of the low income housing in the Dos Vientos ranch development. If it's not there, could you specifically tell me when that low income housing will be built.

Thanks!

Old 01-16-2009, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Sorry to tell you this JoserInc, Oxnard is safer than Ventura.
Hmmm, I wouldn't be too sure about that... Here's Oxnard's PD blotter, and check out not only the quantity of crime, but the types of crime (violent) as well. Here's Ventura County Star's Homicide map, Oxnard doesn't look too good there either.

The only way that statement is true is if you qualify that by saying West Ventura, maybe.

By the way, I lived (past tense), worked, and hung out in Oxnard for a number of years and have known a number of people who live throughout Oxnard in various districts over the years. Oxnard is not as bad as, say, downtown LA, but it does not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling being there either. Sorry, that's my opinion.

Old 01-16-2009, 02:08 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,046,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbatca View Post
Hmmm, I wouldn't be too sure about that... Here's Oxnard's PD blotter, and check out not only the quantity of crime, but the types of crime (violent) as well. Here's Ventura County Star's Homicide map, Oxnard doesn't look too good there either.

The only way that statement is true is if you qualify that by saying West Ventura, maybe.

By the way, I lived (past tense), worked, and hung out in Oxnard for a number of years and have known a number of people who live throughout Oxnard in various districts over the years. Oxnard is not as bad as, say, downtown LA, but it does not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling being there either. Sorry, that's my opinion.
According to the 2008 nationwide city crime rankings, Oxnard is 129 safest. Ventura is 108. Santa Barbara is 151 (yes, less safe than Oxnard!) and Santa Maria is 198. So to put things in perspective, the perception of Oxnard as "high crime" compared with its neighbors isn't merited when looking at the actual number of incidents and types of crimes.

As a matter of fact, not only is Santa Barbara less safe than Oxnard, but the instances of violent crime are higher in SB too. Overall, Oxnard and Ventura are equally safe, and safer than Santa Barbara County. Overall, still, both counties are safe!

ETA: In terms of safety, these CA city pairs are on par: Ventura - Napa; Oxnard - Fullerton; Santa Barbara - San Jose; Santa Maria - Ontario.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CityCrime2008_Rank.pdf (68.3 KB, 508 views)

Last edited by Winston Smith; 01-16-2009 at 02:27 AM.. Reason: add city pairs

Old 01-16-2009, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
According to the 2008 nationwide city crime rankings, Oxnard is 129 safest. Ventura is 108. Santa Barbara is 151 (yes, less safe than Oxnard!) and Santa Maria is 198. So to put things in perspective, the perception of Oxnard as "high crime" compared with its neighbors isn't merited when looking at the actual number of incidents and types of crimes.

As a matter of fact, not only is Santa Barbara less safe than Oxnard, but the instances of violent crime are higher in SB too. Overall, Oxnard and Ventura are equally safe, and safer than Santa Barbara County. Overall, still, both counties are safe!

ETA: In terms of safety, these CA city pairs are on par: Ventura - Napa; Oxnard - Fullerton; Santa Barbara - San Jose; Santa Maria - Ontario.
I guess it depends upon what your definition of "neighbors" are.

My definition of neighbors are cities and areas in Ventura County, such as Ventura (break that down into East vs. West), Camarillo, Santa Paula, Thousand Oaks, Fillmore, and Simi Valley. I think pretty much all of these areas are going to be safer, more or much more, than Oxnard.

Oh, by the way, here's more real time data from Ventura County Star on crime happening now (http://www.venturacountystar.com/news/crime/ - broken link). Looks like Oxnard couldn't wait to be first for the first murder in the county. Oxnard sure looks safe, yeah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County