Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 05:06 PM

14 posts, read 99,597 times

Advertisements

Oxnard has received a bad rap over the years; mainly due to crime. And unfortunately it is a high crime area. If you like a particular area of Oxnard, talk to the local residents, check out the police reports and do as much homework as you can before making the plunge. No place is perfect, just make sure it's perfect for you and your family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 07:11 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,078,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carychna View Post
And unfortunately it is a high crime area.
Not according to the crime stats. Forgive me, but this notion is over stated and a bit outdated.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:57 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
I have lived in the area most of my life. All of it except for 2 years and have yet to be a party to any crime. Have seldom seen any crime. I have read about it though and in our area I read more about crime in Ventura, Santa Barbara, LA than in Oxnard.

Old 08-02-2009, 10:19 PM

1,549 posts, read 4,257,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I have lived in the area most of my life. All of it except for 2 years and have yet to be a party to any crime. Have seldom seen any crime. I have read about it though and in our area I read more about crime in Ventura, Santa Barbara, LA than in Oxnard.
I've been in Oxnard almost 9 years and I too haven't seen any crimes. The only crime I have witness is kids stealing soda from McDonalds....asking for water cups and then taking soda!

Old 08-02-2009, 10:20 PM

1,549 posts, read 4,257,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHernandez12 View Post
Riverpark is nice, but the various HOA's ruin it. The Luminaria HOA is run by a complete dunderhead and his merry band of soccer moms. They cite residents for the most trivial of concerns, yet neglect to attack real issues like lack of parking space, lack of water access on certain streets etc. Residents are justified in feeling fleeced by an ineffectual, boorish organization that justifies its existence by the persecution of hardworking individuals. Many of us longterm residents call this place Riverpork....appropriate.

Once again, love Riverpark. Hate HOA's...specifically the intellect-challenged Luminaria organization.

J. Hernandez
I have a friend that lives in Luminaria and he loves it. We talk daily and he hasn't said anything about their HOA.

Old 09-05-2009, 11:36 AM

36 posts, read 85,242 times
I've lived in South Oxnard for more than 30 years and LOVE it here!
Crime has been VERY LOW here due to the ever present police force. I've never been a victim. Graffiti, a problem a very looonggg time ago, is near non existent, due to the aggressive Graffiti Task Force.
What I LOVE about Oxnard, is there is always construction or improvements going on EVERYWHERE! Even in this recession!
A fine example is Oxnard College, where I live nearby. I've seen this college grow thru the years. Now they are in full construction of an imposing Perfroming Arts Center! The beautiful College Park next door has a skateboard track and new basketball courts for the youths. A Fresh & Easy Market has just opened up across from the still quite new Walgreens on Channel Islands Blvd. (Another Fresh & Easy is planned for Gonzales Rd., as well as 2 other Walgreens thru out the city. Also a new CVS Pharmacy at Five Points is near completion!)
The city recently launched a Revitalization Project for the whole South Oxnard area and one can see this, like the isle improvements along Saviers Road. Downtown Oxnard looks great with the Plaza Cinemas 14 complex where I have seen many movies and observed how they have maintained this cinema like it just opened!
Now....for Oxnard Riverpark. I've driven thru here several times and seen it grow, albeit a bit slower. But construction DOES continue. The WholeFoods and Collection retail area may have to wait till late next year, but understandable due to the recession. But i remain VERY optimistic for Oxnard Riverpark home owners. Nearby at the Oxnard Auto Center, Mercedes Benz and Audi have just opened their new dealerships. This can only be a good thing! We have Fry's Electronics, Best Buy, Walmart(being remodeled), Sam's Club, Costco's....all very convenient!
Oh let's not forget our beachfront communities like the new Seabridge area and Channel Island Wharf....picturesque and peaceful!
Now I can go on and on and on, but one thing I must mention is.......THE WEATHER!!! It's nearly 100 degrees everywhere in SoCal right now, but Oxnard remains one of the most pleasant retreats. I have been nearly everywhere in this great country of ours from New York, Florida, Texas, Washington...but I ALWAYS finding it so refreshing to be back home...awesome Oxnard. For life!!

Old 09-05-2009, 12:04 PM

Thumbs up "There's something happening here..."

I've been posting to this board for just over 3 years, now. Reading very negative, even out and out falsehoods and lies posted by some people about Oxnard compelled me to register. My first post was a "balance the view" post attempting to dispel some of the negative posts and false claims (let's be generous and call them, "misunderstandings") about the city.

What I've noticed on this board since then is that the negative posts about Oxnard are giving way to more positive ones. Something's afoot in Oxnard, and it ain't too bad. To quote a well-known lyric, "There's something happening here...."

Old 09-06-2009, 12:52 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
Winston Smith,

It is because of the great work that yourself and now NardforLife hopefully will now be a part of. Maybe every area needs someone to point out the good points of a city. Here in the Oxnard area we are alive and well in stressing what is good about living here in Oxnard. I really think it is funny when someone posts a negative post because of how they remember Oxnard from years ago, or better yet someone that lived in Thousand Oaks and never lived in Oxnard but they feel free to explain the city and in their oppinion how bad it is.

Old 09-06-2009, 02:01 AM

299 posts, read 1,153,168 times
Thumbs up Oxnard Riverpark

Gotta tell you guys, I love it when you post 'Good Stuff' about Oxnard, even Port Hueneme, Ventura and especially Camarillo as that is where we will most likely live....... in 2014 when we move there. So, please just keep right on posting what is really happening in the NOW in the cities of the Oxnard Plain. Yes, that would also include the bad, even though not wanted. haha!

Thanks!

jOE
Angeles City
Philippines

Old 09-06-2009, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Winston Smith,

It is because of the great work that yourself and now NardforLife hopefully will now be a part of. Maybe every area needs someone to point out the good points of a city. Here in the Oxnard area we are alive and well in stressing what is good about living here in Oxnard. I really think it is funny when someone posts a negative post because of how they remember Oxnard from years ago, or better yet someone that lived in Thousand Oaks and never lived in Oxnard but they feel free to explain the city and in their oppinion how bad it is.
Thanks, Soon2b. Right back at ya'!

Or, as one poster stated once (sorry, not gonna' look for the post), that s/he determined that Oxnard is a POS because of the activity s/he hears listening to police on a scanner -- from Thousand Oaks! Maybe that trumps what those of us living in the area for a long time have to say.

Another thing that bothers me is when people make shallow blanket statements like, "it's a high-crime area," signaling that everyone in O-Town is a creep! It gives me a feeling that while the good folks of Thousand Oaks or Simi are "victims" of crime, Oxnard somehow deserves its crime. People in Oxnard are victims, too, when the majority of the crime is committed by only 2% of the population. (Statistic I've heard the OPD repeat many times.)

It bothers me on another level. It's a slap in the face to all of the residents, community organizers, and city leaders who care deeply about the city and spend countless hours working on ways to make things better. Fortunately, the efforts are paying off in spite of those who insist that Oxnard is damned, beyond hope and a "keep-away" place. Oxnard is a great city with a tremendous amount of energy and focus on the issues facing it -- and the region. Not to mention that the city is an economic cornerstone for all of Ventura County.

ETA: Before I'm accused of being someone who does not want to read bad things about my area (as I've sometimes been), I welcome criticism as long as it's factual and inquisitive about remedial efforts.

Last edited by Winston Smith; 09-06-2009 at 12:15 PM.. Reason: ETA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County