Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2012, 12:05 PM

3 posts, read 10,544 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

Sorry to add another one of these threads. I have searched and read up a lot and thoroughly gotten my head spinning. Now I am asking the experts. I'm looking to relocate down there for a dream job. I'm near the end of the process and it appears like things will go through well, knock on wood.

The position will more than likely start at the $3,750 a month range. What I am asking is, is that a liveable amount down there? I found a living wage thing on some site that put that area at almost $21 an hour to just get by. I would be about a buck over that.

I think I'm not an extravagant guy, I don't really go out much. A movie now and then. The hiccup I think I will come across is I REALLY want to live alone. I don't give a damn if the place I rent is small, it's just me anyway. I do like it down there, it's very similar to the part of The Bay Area I currently live.

Thanks for any possible guidance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 12:57 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,270,302 times
Most places are going to want you to have an income 3 X the monthly rent. With your income you should be fine. You can find nice 1 bedroom places for $1,100 or so I think. Where in Oxnard do you want to live?

Old 08-03-2012, 03:02 AM

3 posts, read 10,544 times
Thanks for the quick reply, SOON2BNSURPRISE. It was nice to get home from work and see a reply. I have been thinking about this for a few hours and to be frank I might have over saturated myself with info. I'm not terribly clear about where is where in Oxnard anymore.

Basically what I am looking for is a decent area, closer to the water is great, but not necessary. I think proximity to 101 would be grand, since work would be a stones throw from it. Any advice on areas would be greatly appreciated, or links to threads I may have missed.

A little more about me. I am a born and raised resident of Santa Cruz, that weirdo haven in the bottom of The Bay Area. While not necessarily being a weirdo myself I do enjoy it here. Used to living way out in the woods, so city life will be a new and exciting, albeit noisy, adventure. I have a friend in Ventura who is practically pulling me there because it's so much like home. haven't done my homework yet on that. I've spent the most time in my few trips down there in Camarillo, that's where I have been staying the night. Seems like a nice place, if you are okay with the street being rolled up at 9pm.

Later this month I have a meeting in the evening at my potential employer. I plan to drive down that morning and spend the next day looking around the areas and getting a better feel for the town.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:30 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,270,302 times
Tell me what kind of lifestyle you are after and I will tell you places to look at.

Camarillo is nice but the local night life is going to be in Ventura. The small club scene is happening on the weekend but you can find places to hit up during the week. Ventura has something for everyone, just not as much of it as maybe LA or the Bay area would have. Still it is fun. we used to be regulars at the Bombay Bar and Grill (even though we don't drink.) I like the party atmosphere that they have there and the dance scene. Four or Five years ago Bombays was the place to go. Since that time other places have opened up. My wife and I now prefer Ruby's in Oxnard. They have 2 large dance floors and on Saturday night both are hopping, one to Spanish house music and the other to English House music (As in language because I am not sure what the English people are into. LOL) If you want another good club to go to, try Cisco's in Westlake Village. we try to get there every so often. If you prefer the same sex scene, try out Paddys in Ventura at Main and Ventura Ave. I have never been inside but my brother is a regular there.

If you want to be close to the 101 and have access to all that the county has to offer you may want to check out Serenade in River Park. They have some very nice 1 bedroom, 2 bedroom, and 3 bedroom places that were all built not too many years ago. Oxnard Apartment | Serenade at RiverPark in Oxnard, CA 93036 As a new community they will be on the high end as far as price. Still what they offer is a nice newer place, all stainless steel appliances, washer and dryer, club house, pool, jacuzi, on site gym, and lots of other amenities that make it a nice comfortable place to live. I think that they will fit your income though.

Old 08-11-2012, 11:13 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,733,111 times
Ventura is probably going to be the most similar feel to Ventura. Riverpark, north Oxnard near Rio Mesa, and near the water is probably the nicest parts.

Riverpark is near the freeway and close to Ventura, so that would be a great fit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County