U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 10:48 AM

2 posts, read 9,940 times

Advertisements

My family and I are moving from Florida to California in a month. My partner's job will be located in Thousand Oaks. We have a son who will be starting kindergarten this fall and we would love to be in a great school district but aren't opposed to driving him to a different district if need be. We will be visiting the area next week to get an idea of neighborhoods and schools but I was wondering if anyone had an opinion between Moorpark, Simi Valley and Oak Park as far as most family friendly. We don't want to live in Thousand Oaks or Westlake, too close to work, but then again we don't want to be more than a 30-45 minute commute away either. Any advice is most welcome. It seems like all of this area has the things we want (neighborhood feel, access to parks and playgrounds and hiking, good schools, etc) but some areas must be better than others?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 09:26 PM

1,482 posts, read 4,883,165 times
If you don't want to live in Thousand Oaks or Westlake then Oak Park is the better choice among the cities you're looking into.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:22 AM

12,470 posts, read 18,210,220 times
Thousand Oaks, and especially Westlake, have the best schools in the area so if good schools are a major concern then avoiding these communities doesn't make much sense. Furthermore, Oak Park is a small community (its not a city) that is connected to Thousand Oaks and Westlake Village. As a result, if you want to avoid Thousand Oaks and Westlake Village for whatever reason, then you'd want to avoid Oak Park for the same reason.

Moorpark, Simi Valley and Oak Park are all family friendly....they just differ in demographics.

Also, I don't get the comment about driving to a different district, you won't have that choice.

Old 08-10-2012, 06:44 AM

2 posts, read 9,940 times
Thank you.

From what I understood, Oak Park has it's own school district and will take out of district transfers for students not living in the area. From looking online TO is CVUSD and Augora Hills is LVUSD. It looks like all of three districts have good elementary schools. I guess I thought Oak Park was its own little town a little farther from the TO/Westlake area.

Old 08-10-2012, 06:50 AM

1,463 posts, read 2,943,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountrymove View Post
My family and I are moving from Florida to California in a month. My partner's job will be located in Thousand Oaks. We have a son who will be starting kindergarten this fall and we would love to be in a great school district but aren't opposed to driving him to a different district if need be. We will be visiting the area next week to get an idea of neighborhoods and schools but I was wondering if anyone had an opinion between Moorpark, Simi Valley and Oak Park as far as most family friendly. We don't want to live in Thousand Oaks or Westlake, too close to work, but then again we don't want to be more than a 30-45 minute commute away either. Any advice is most welcome. It seems like all of this area has the things we want (neighborhood feel, access to parks and playgrounds and hiking, good schools, etc) but some areas must be better than others?
My sister lives in Moorpark and is a real estate agent there. I have seen pics of the area and of her house..beautiful. I can't give you her full name on here but her first name is Phyllis. If I can get any further info for you be glad to help. Have a safe trip and good luck with your move.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
From what I understood, Oak Park has it's own school district and will take out of district transfers for students not living in the area.
Though I don't know the details, yes, I think in the case of Oak Park they do this because the number of young families in the community has declined. But the drive to Oak Park from Moorpark and Simi Valley can be pretty bad and there is little point in doing this transfer if you're in Thousand Oaks/Westlake as the schools are, if anything, better.

Quote:
I guess I thought Oak Park was its own little town a little farther from the TO/Westlake area.
No, its primarily a residential community with very little in terms of shopping, dining, etc. To do anything, you'll have to go to Agoura, Westlake or Thousand Oaks.

And just to note, Westlake confusingly refers to two things here. There is a city, within Los Angeles county, called Westlake Village. Then there is a part of Thousand Oaks, connected to Westlake Village (the city), also called Westlake Village. The reason for the confusion is that Westlake use to be an unincorporated community within Ventura and LA counties, but ~30 years ago the LA county part was incorporated into the city of Westlake Village and the Ventura county part was annexed by Thousand Oaks. Oak Part is an unincorporated community of Ventura County that borders Thousand oaks (Westlake portion), Westlake Village and Agoura Hills.

I'm not sure why you'd want to avoid Thousand Oaks/Westlake, but by doing so you're missing out on some of the best schools and best neighborhoods in the area. Oak Park is turning into an old folks community.....

Old 09-05-2012, 05:40 PM

15 posts, read 54,430 times
Of all the locations you listed Thousand Oaks is the best one. Great schools, shopping, eating, etc. Oak Park is a tiny residential community but not much else.
Simi Valley is OK, but I'd still prefer TO. Moorpark is growing and has some decent areas, but still pales in comparsion to Thousand Oaks. Depending on where you work your home doesn't necessarily have to be close by in Thousand Oaks. It is a pretty good size city.

Old 09-10-2012, 04:16 PM

17 posts, read 37,727 times
What about cost of living? Oak Park, Westlake, Agoura and large parts of T.O. are all prohibitively expensive. If you don't have a budget of $500,000, you won't be living in the nice areas going to the nice schools.

Moorpark has a great area along the southern ridge which is somewhat less expensive and I'd contend Moorpark has the best weather of all of eastern Ventura County. It will be ten degrees cooler than Oak Park/Agoura/Westlake and gets much better sea breezes. Simi Valley will be similar weather to the Conejo Valley but can be very windy. Simi is now the least expensive portion of eastern Ventura County.

Old 09-16-2012, 12:14 AM

26 posts, read 106,202 times
Hope it all worked out for you.
To me, all those areas are the same. Concrete, bland areas areas on the constantly noisy 101 freeway.
Westlake Village is the richer area so the schools would be better.

Old 09-16-2012, 04:28 AM

Must be thinking of a different place. The 101 doesn't go through Simi Valley or Moorpark and Thousand oaks is filled with trees, preserved open space and national forest land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County